London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Quote:
This is why the Embassy of the Scholar Colony assumes the function of
the Library: whenever you draw Improvements, draw 4 and keep 2 of them.

The 'whenever' in this phrase, taken literally, means that in the end of year production phase, rather than drawing the 2 and keeping 1 that is the Scholar colonies special ability, you are always drawing 4 and keeping 2? This seemed really strong to us, and also, why would the level 1 space not just show that instead of having draw 2 keep 1 right next to the draw 4 keep 2?

Did we play this correctly or does it really mean 'whenever'? We assumed it only meant 'when you land on the Librarian' essentially that the Scholar colony negates the need for a Library

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a previous post I asked the same question and it wasn't refuted. Also see the designer's answer on what happens in the few cases where you normally draw 1 Improvement, since the level 1 Scholar Colony acts as the Library the same applies.

As for being too strong. In our last game my SO used the Scholar Colony very heavily, essentially drawing through an entire Era deck almost all by himself. And while it was great to have all those options and play a lot of improvements, it still isn't easy to make it happen (even with the Institute) and also meant being a lot more dependent on getting resources from Places. I won that game concentrating more on the production side with a difference of some 12 points. It was a great game and very fun to see that an Improvement heavy strategy could be competitive.

Edit: Seems that some info was missing from the rulebook, see reply of developer two posts down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you played correctly. You Draw 2 and keep 1 in each production phase. In addition, when you visit the Librarian tile, you Draw 4 and keep 2 (identical to the Library).

The other referenced thread adds an errata or clarification that the Library (and Scholar's Embassy) also lets you Draw 3 and Keep 1 when you visit the Market with the ability to 'Draw 1'.

So in summary (I think):

Library
* At the Librarian, Draw 4 and Keep 2
* Whenever any other place lets you Draw 1 Improvement, Draw 3 and Keep 1

Scholar's Embassy
* Same as above
PLUS
* During each production phase, Draw 2 Keep 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
It should read "whenever you draw Improvements at the Librarian, draw 4 and keep 2 of them".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Ponton wrote:
It should read "whenever you draw Improvements at the Librarian, draw 4 and keep 2 of them".

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Just to get this one 100% correct now, otherwise some confusion will remain. Will the Scholar Colony also work for the 'draw 1 Improvement' Market card as you mentioned in this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and it was supposed to work like "draw 3, keep 1" (for the market librarian) but since we missed making this clear on the components, it's "draw 4, keep 2" now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, thank you for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the scholar allow you to go over your hand limit temporarily during the production phase or does this only apply to the librarian place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The hand size thing isn't limited to the Librarian. (The same is true for the Library.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Antilles
Germany
flag msg tools
We had a situation during a game that surprised us.
After reaching our hand limit of six cards we took a closer look at the rules to find the passage quoted below. I just wanted to confirm our interpretation:

If I have the Scholar Embassy at Level 2 and 6 cards at hand (let's call them 1,2,3,4,5,6) I can use the Librarian to draw cards 7,8,9 and 10. Then Discard cards 1,3,4,5 for example and keep all 4 new cards? I can actually CYCLE cards once I have a Library or Scholar2, but I can not do so if I don't have one of those building?

"You may not have more than 6 cards in hand!
So if you have 5 cards in hand already and move to the Librarian, you may only draw one new Improvement. Exceeding
the hand size limit is not allowed. As long as you have 6 cards in hand, you may not use the Librarian at all.
You may not discard cards from hand!
The only way to get rid of cards from your hand is to play them (see “Playing Improvements” below). It is possible that you get
stuck with cards in your hand that you cannot play any longer (e.g., because you cannot meet their requirements).
Both of these rules can be (partially) disabled by the Library and the Scholar
Colony. Their special abilities allow you to exceed the hand size limit for a brief
moment. Even with 6 cards in hand, you could still use the Librarian. If you do,
you must reduce your hand size to 6 cards immediately afterward by discarding cards
from hand unused."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobAntilles wrote:
We had a situation during a game that surprised us.
After reaching our hand limit of six cards we took a closer look at the rules to find the passage quoted below. I just wanted to confirm our interpretation:

If I have the Scholar Embassy at Level 2 and 6 cards at hand (let's call them 1,2,3,4,5,6) I can use the Librarian to draw cards 7,8,9 and 10. Then Discard cards 1,3,4,5 for example and keep all 4 new cards? I can actually CYCLE cards once I have a Library or Scholar2, but I can not do so if I don't have one of those building?

I don't recall where it is, but I believe, in your example, you would draw cards 7-10, discard two from those four (let's pretend 9 and 10) then add 7 and 8 to your hand. Now, being over 6, you must discard two from any cards 1-8.

In other words, I'm fairly confident the FIRST discard (draw four, discard two) comes before the drawn cards are added to your hand so the initial discard must be from the four you drew. Then, being over your hand size, you discard from hand. Someone confirm/correct this for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

I don't recall where it is, but I believe, in your example, you would draw cards 7-10, discard two from those four (let's pretend 9 and 10) then add 7 and 8 to your hand. Now, being over 6, you must discard two from any cards 1-8.

In other words, I'm fairly confident the FIRST discard (draw four, discard two) comes before the drawn cards are added to your hand so the initial discard must be from the four you drew. Then, being over your hand size, you discard from hand. Someone confirm/correct this for me.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To put this another way, we talked this out to mean the Library has 2 powers - First to draw 4 cards, and then keep 2/discard 2. Second if you are over 6 cards at that point, you discard down to 6.

Hopefully that is correct, but once we realized it this way, our lives improved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.