Subject: Scythe vs Terraforming Mars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'd like some advise about these 2 games please. Here are few of my concern:

1. Which of the 2 games is the easiest to remember ALL the rules & little details? My group own many games and they don't hit the table frequently so its easy to forget rules so i try to refrain my buy to games with easy rules BUT very deep strategy and meat. I hate to have to read the rules again of a game 6-12 months later.

2. Interaction, which of the 2 games have the most interaction between the players if any? I try to avoid games that is a social solitary game experience.

3. Which of the 2 games feel the most unique compared to all existing board games?

Some concern, me and my group were really disappointed by Eclipse. 1 of the major element of the game is building and teching your ships but the fights in the game is almost none-existent, usually our game have 1 big fight the last round of the game and that's it which is quite stupid in my opinion to put a major focus of the game in teching your ships to maybe not even fight. There is not a tons of interaction in Eclipse. I'm concern to live this aspect in Scythe as well, does players must be very focus on what other players do and where they expand their territory or its more like everyone do their own thing and the one who made the best engine and decision win?

I have read comments that TerraForming Mars is like Race for the galaxy with a board. Now I don't hate RFG but if the game give the same feeling there is no need to get another RFG brother game. Also there is not much interaction in RFG which can be fine since the theme of the game is too race to the finish line but it's not what i prefer. When i go see my friend i hope to have some interaction wit them playing a game, otherwise i better remain at home

ty for comments!

Poll
Which of these 2 games you would keep if you could only keep one in your collection
Scythe
Terraforming Mars
      56 answers
Poll created by generalpotato

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading your concerns, I am fairly certain, that both games will not appeal to you.

generalpotato wrote:
Some concern, me and my group were really disappointed by Eclipse. 1 of the major element of the game is building and teching your ships but the fights in the game is almost none-existent, usually our game have 1 big fight the last round of the game and that's it which is quite stupid in my opinion to put a major focus of the game in teching your ships to maybe not even fight. There is not a tons of interaction in Eclipse. I'm concern to live this aspect in Scythe as well, does players must be very focus on what other players do and where they expand their territory or its more like everyone do their own thing and the one who made the best engine and decision win?

Pretty much, yes. While you certainly can fight in Scythe, and it does happen a few times in the game, it is fairly forgiving (you do not even lose your units, they are just sent home) and there are disadvantages for the attacker as well (killing workers lowers popularity). Also, you can only gain "stars", which is a major source for victory points in this game, twice for winning a combat.

Scythe is not a wargame.

Quote:
I have read comments that TerraForming Mars is like Race for the galaxy with a board. Now I don't hate RFG but if the game give the same feeling there is no need to get another RFG brother game. Also there is not much interaction in RFG which can be fine since the theme of the game is too race to the finish line but it's not what i prefer. When i go see my friend i hope to have some interaction wit them playing a game, otherwise i better remain at home

Yeah, there is only little interaction in Terraforming Mars. A bit more than RftG, but not that much.

Games I would rather recommend to you...

Blood Rage
Kemet
Nexus Ops
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Clash of Cultures
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Also worth a look...

Mythic Battles: Pantheon (currently on Kickstarter for a few more days)

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont mind if there is not much fighting in Scythe, i really like euro games.

My problem with Eclipse for example is that the game have an emphasis in upgrading your ships which is a major element of the game and for what? Maybe 1 big fight at the last round. I believe fight should have been more frequent or that there would have been less upgrade and emphasis about teching the ships.

Many worker placement have strong interaction without the fighting interaction element. If in Scythe the fighting represent 15% of the game than teching the mechs should be impossible or very small level of tech should be possible. Like 3 level of strength for example.

Is there any way to upgrade techs in Scythe and if yes, how many possible upgrade? From the board that I saw it seem the upgrade is only related to their cost and there is only few level to tech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The upgrades in Scythe only make the actions you take more efficient (and reduce costs of building stuff).

There are some techs for combat, though. The four mechs you can build, each have one special ability (that is active for all your mechs and your character once that specific mech has been built).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scythe has very little interaction. Terraforming Mars, slightly more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is a tough one for interaction. You should be paying attention to what others are doing, but the game very much simulates a cold war situation. Moments are actual conflict are not as common as the theme initially suggests. However, the strength of this is that it makes turns cycle very quickly, which is nice. I think that Scythe is not a hard game to remember.

TM has interaction in the form of cooperation, and the occasional stealing of resources, but I would say it is not a very intense interaction.

I agree that you may not be enthused by either, but of the two, I like Scythe better. I think they both feel very unique. Scythe more then any other game I have played requires you to be razor efficient. TM makes you decide if an action is useful to you or not, forcing you to hone your strategy as you go.

I would call neither of them solitary, nor would I call either of them highly interactive.

On a side note, the components in Scythe are amazing and enhance gameplay. The components in TM are not great and detract from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the up vote for Kemit. I would also suggest Chaos in the Old World. I like the asynchronous starting abilities. Lots of player interaction. I dont know anything about the Warcraft theme and still was able to play without any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
My problem with Eclipse for example is that the game have an emphasis in upgrading your ships which is a major element of the game and for what? Maybe 1 big fight at the last round. I believe fight should have been more frequent or that there would have been less upgrade and emphasis about teching the ships.
This may be a problem with your game group. In our Eclipse games fights are rather common - or is that just because we play with the expansion?

Anyway, you're likely to encounter the same problem in Scythe: Many players complain that there's too little combat, because it isn't enforced or required to win the game (especially if none of the players feel combat isn't worth it!).

I'm not sure yet, how different Terraforming Mars is from RftG, but considering the latter is my only '10' (with the first expansion), I'm quite sure I'm going to enjoy TM...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars and Scythe are both excellent games. But they're both euro's. After reading your concerns, I think you're looking for games like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
1) A lot of things to remember in the rules
Both games have rules that I consider simple. There are not many details to remember.

2) Interaction
Interaction is not a remarkable feature in any of them. I think TM seems to be a bit more like Multiplayer solitaire. There are a few cards that "attack" other players and the players put tiles on the common surface of Mars, but interaction between the tiles is weak. Scythe has more interaction due to 3 aspects: 1) the race to reach the factory (the central hex of the board, that unleash a special action that is better for the player who gets there first), 2) the possibility of combat and robbery of adversaries resources (though this doesn't happen often in the game) and finally 3) because when you do the "enlist" action, you unleash a part of your individual board that grants you an advantage when your neighbours do certain actions.

3) Originality
Also, this is not a remarkable feature of any of them. Neither of them is a mere copy of what other games did but at the same time they use elements that can be found in other games. Still I consider that Scythe has the edge here.

4) Eclipse x TM
The amount of combat in Eclipse depends on the style of the players in the game. A game with aggressive players tend to have a large amount of combat between the players. I presume you are discarding the combats against the ancient race. You may need to build and improve ships even if you don't think about attacking other players because it's almost inevitable that you need to attack the ancients to expand. In Scythe combat is also not common and in many senses combat is highly restrained. a) few units can attack and their movements are restrained at the start of the game; b) you only gain stars for 2 victories in the game, so it makes not much sense to seek much combat; c) in combats you have to spend a resource called power to win, that is slowly replenished, so if you spend too much power quickly you become an easy target to other players attacks; d) if by attacking you cause workers to retreat you lose popularity what potentially deplets you final scoring. I have played scythe with no combats at all, but not Eclipse, though it is highly tempting to close a game of Scythe with some combats in places where you cannot lose. In the same sense of Eclipse, some people may feel frustrated for building Mechs and not putting them to fight at all, though the building of Mechs in Scythe has the additional effect of unleashing certain powers that make your movements more efficient, what is a nice effect.

5) TM x Race for the Galaxy
The 2 games are completely different and apart from the players having a tableau of cards with powers described by iconography there is absolutely no relation at all between the games.

That all said, I think Scythe is a better game than TM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.