Subject: Edition Differences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. After a long search this game finally came up (at Amazon) for a reasonable price so I ordered what I thought was the 2014 reprint edition of the game, which has the squad of soldiers on the box front. However what arrived today is the 2013 printing. Before I crack the game open, I would like to know if there any differences between the 2 editions? If there are major ones I shall return it.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they not all have a squad of soldiers on the box?

The original, 2006, does not show a close-up of a soldier, but otherwise the boxes are identical as far as I know.

Is there a product code on the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I don't think anything has changed with this game since the second printing in 2008. It's one that's pretty much been perfect all along (aside from a few printing mistakes in the first edition and needing a few little rules clarifications).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure. Is 0609-13 a product code?

The box is the same as one at the top of this thread. However the one I ordered had this box front

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: My first post was nonsense, deleted : - )

Sounds like you ordered the 1st edition, but got the 2013 reprint. Much better : - )

To be clearer: That picture is, as far as I know, only on the 1st edition. You have the 2013 reprint, which is as good as it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0609-13 is, in fact, a product code. Here's how you interpret GMT product codes.

The first two digits are the original year of PLANNED shipping. On occasion the actual year is the next one but usually this is the year the game was issued.

The next two digits are the sequence. 0609 is the 9th game that was planned for 2006.

If four digits is all you see, you have a first edition.

If you see a - followed by two more digits, those two digits are the year your edition came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK so it sounds like I have the correct edition then which will have the most up to date rulebook and thicker cards. Excellent. The bad news it that it now goes under the tree (when it gets put up in 2 weeks) for a month

Thanks for all youre repsonses. Looking forward to learning and playing the game. Unfortunatly it will only be solo, and while I know it has low suitability (according to GMT) I'm aware that many people play it successfully that way. I enjoy using Vassal too so perhaps I will end up getting someone to beat me online while I am learning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, and I believe you will have little to no trouble finding someone willing to "beat you" (as you put it).

Myself included, so please feel free to drop me a message : - )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
It was 50 years ago today.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
I don't think anything has changed with this game since the second printing in 2008. It's one that's pretty much been perfect all along (aside from a few printing mistakes in the first edition and needing a few little rules clarifications).

There is one minor detail (for those who care about such details). One reprint - I believe it was the first one, so, the 2008 2ed - had counters with the perforations on the side instead of the corners. It's much harder to clip/round away a side nib. GMT caught this issue and fixed it (returning to corner nibs) in subsequent reprints. 2013 and 2014 should both be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite games Andrew. I've played many, many games via pbem too. don't let anyone tell you it's not possible to pbem. many people do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been asked (and answered) many times. This is probably one of the most complete, accurate(and quoted) responses.

RPardoe wrote:
The original pre-order of Combat Commander did include 2 bonus scenarios (#101 and #102) that were not included with the second printing. These bonus scenarios are now available for download from GMT's site.

As for the game itself, the only differences were:

v1.1 rulebook
fixed German card #48 (called its order an action)
fixed pillbox count on American cheat card (information only, no impact on game play)
pinlines added to the hills on maps 11 & 12 for clarity

There were some cosmetic changes between the two printings. The maps are back-printed (meaning there is a map on the front and back of each mapsheet. The paired up maps are a little different:

First printing: 1/4 2/3 5/8 6/7 ....
Second printing 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8 ....

Another cosmetic change...the counters on the first printing countersheet are only connected at the corners. The counters on the second edition of the second printing are also connected in the middle of each side. This results in a small tab that might be difficult to remove if you trim your counters.

But despite that long explanation - the changes in the second printing are minor indeed. I have the first printing and no one has ever noticed the small items that were changed (fixed) in the second printing. Both printings are eminently playable. And you will get the same stuff in both copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. So once we have worked our way through all of the scenarios in LnL Normandy (btw it's your turn), and then Falklands if you have it, we can move onto Combat Commander. Should keep us playing for years!!

hbmaine wrote:
One of my favorite games Andrew. I've played many, many games via pbem too. don't let anyone tell you it's not possible to pbem. many people do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
Not sure. Is 0609-13 a product code?

The box is the same as one at the top of this thread. However the one I ordered had this box front

I am also thinking of acquiring the game through Amazon UK. Despite being advertised as 2014 Reprint, the box cover advertised is the one above, which has always been associated with the first printing.

Andrew, is your game definitely a 2013 Reprint with the "wrong" box cover? Has there been two different box covers for this 2013 (or 2014) printing then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delayed response. As the game was a Xmas present I have only just opened it. Mine would appear to definitely be a 2013 reprint with the wrong box cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rohrman
United States
Antioch - 60002
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SO....

The GMT site is selling 0609-14. The 2014 Reprint.

I just ordered and received a 0609-13 from MM.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between 13 and 14?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.