Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my very great honor to present CapAp as Wolf of the Week!

He has played in 86 games and modded 8, including Doomtown 1 and 2 and the famous Werewolf Gauntlet. From his iconic avatar to his choice participation in non-vanilla werewolf games, I give you CapAp: hero to such upstanding citizens such as BagpipeDan and myself, and defender of theme!

I GIVE YOU CAPAP!

Here's what the Super Soldier has to say for himself:

Quote:
My bio and how I found the geek can be read here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/121517/page/1 if you are interested. It's long-winded and silly, and I don't feel right typing it up again. Instead, I'll talk about how I got started in Werewolf!

I played in Werewolf 4: Apocalypse. That is a fun thread to read; all those old games are, because none of us knew what the hell we were doing at all. I was a villager, I told lots of lies (pointless lies), and ended up voting for myself (the first recorded villager suicide in history! What an accomplishment!). It was so much fun, I couldn't wait to try it myself. As soon as that game ended, I started Werewolf 8: Ultrawolf. The plan with that game was to not force anyone to be a Villager, because villagers are BORING. Read the thread to find out how amazingly stupid this idea was. BUT, I like to think I learned something, which is that Werewolf needs Villagers to function correctly. Despite learning this lesson, I've continued to try to figure out a way around it in almost every game I've modded since.

So anyways, I was shocked and ashamed at how bad of a game Ultrawolf had been. I retired from Werewolf, and really didn't think I'd ever play it again. I still saw the forums popping up all the time, and thought it was funny that it was still so popular.

Then 6 months later, Acekim made Aliens into a Werwolf game.

I'm sure there were lots of other "themed" games before this one, but Aliens was SO FREAKING PERFECT of an idea, I almost crapped my pants. I had to play it. And I did, and it was one of the most intensely enjoyable game experiences of my life. I still hold that the final day of that game is probably the most exciting WW game I've ever played in.

Soon after Alien came A Game Of Thrones. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to join a game based on the incredible fantasy world of George RR Martin. After that, it snowballed. Werewolf was like a drug, the more I took, the more I wanted to take. Werewolf got me in trouble at work for checking threads all day. I played WAY TOO MUCH WEREWOLF.

I had some personal trauma earlier this year, and I totally ditched the geek for a few months. I crapped out on 5 games and totally disappeared for a while. But I came back in The Easter Story, which I'm sure was healthy for my god complex, and though I told myself I would take it slow, I got back on the smack as quick as I left.

I have currently played in 86 games and am signed up for a few more. I also like to mod from time to time, but mostly only if a theme strikes me as being something fun and clever to explore. I get bored easily with vanilla games (though I'll admit they are a nice palate cleanser once in a while), and I'm still looking for a way to get rid of those pesky villagers. EVERYONE deserves a special power.

Two Truths And A Lie:

Quote:
1. I lived with a stripper and a topless bar waitress while working at a video game store.
2. When I was 10, I appeared on a single episode of the television show "Sledge Hammer!".
3. I am distantly related to a member of the infamous "Donner Party".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
I GIVE YOU CAPAP!

Boo-rah!

I notice you have a World Domination MB. How's that working out for you?

I started A Game of Thrones about a month ago, and now I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows. Why does this series kick so much ass? How long do you figure before A Dance with Dragons gets released? How long after it goes on sale will you have a copy in your hands?

What's in store for the 'Niners this year?

Can you define a "good enough" offer that would get you to part with that extra copy of Epic Duels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

I'm sure there were lots of other "themed" games before this one, but Aliens was SO FREAKING PERFECT of an idea, I almost crapped my pants.

1. how often do you almost crap your pants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you spoke disparagingly of the smelly unshowered python quoters in the local store..

when did you last shower?
what cologne do you wear?
do you enjoy Monty Python?
if yes, do you resent anyway those who quote it incessantly?
are you cute?
what's your favorite thing about me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Lukas! This is indeed an honor. Questions! Yay!

Genghis wrote:

I notice you have a World Domination MB. How's that working out for you?

Not so hot. Only 27 geeks even bothered to buy the microbadge. That's ok, that just means more World for each of us to Dominate when we succeed.

Quote:
I started A Game of Thrones about a month ago, and now I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows. Why does this series kick so much ass? How long do you figure before A Dance with Dragons gets released? How long after it goes on sale will you have a copy in your hands?

Why does it kick so much ass? That's tough for me to answer, man. As a guy who really *doesn't* like sword-and-sorcery fantasy novels, I'm pleasantly surprised at the mature way the story is handled. Each player in the (huge) story is a finely crafted character, and they all fit together like pieces in a puzzle. It's really less of a fantasy story than a political thriller which just happens to be set in a pseudo-medieval setting. In addition, I always love an author who's not afraid to kill off his characters. Martin certainly has that in spades.

I'm really trying not to think about waiting for the fifth one. When I hear it's coming out, I'll burn through the other four again, to whet my appetite. And of course, I'll have it the day it goes on sale, just like I did with Dragons.

In other Ice and Fire news, have you heard about the HBO "mini"series? It's going to be 7 seasons long, with each season dedicated to one book, and 13 episodes each year! And it's HBO! When I heard that, I just about crapped my pants.

Quote:
What's in store for the 'Niners this year?

A little excitement, is what I'd like to think. It's easy for a fan of a crappy team to keep insisting that they're 'in a rebuilding phase', but the Niners really have been for the past few years, and they really are improving. I look for Frank Gore to live up to the hype that last season's promising stats inspired. He's got to learn to hold on to the ball better. Alex Smith is one of those guys that grows into the strengths of his team, and this will be an important year for him. He keeps getting better, and I'm hoping that continues. We were hurting bad on defense, but they did a lot to patch up the holes in the off-season: Nate Clements, Mike Lewis,Tully Banta-Cain; all great pickups. Our biggest weakness next year will be dependable recievers. They're wasting their time with Darrell Jackson and that guy from the Falcons, but you can only do so much each year. I predict we go 10-6 on the strength of Gore's running game next season. I can see us getting a playoff berth with that record in the NFC... and depending on what happens with the Seahawks (who I honestly think may finally implode this season), it's not impossible for me to picture us winning the divison. Should be a really exciting year to be a Niner fan, either way. I feel good about where we're headed.

Quote:
Can you define a "good enough" offer that would get you to part with that extra copy of Epic Duels?

Something that's equally hard to get ahold of, but also equally as fun. Tough standard to meet, I gotta say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuchick wrote:

Quote:

I'm sure there were lots of other "themed" games before this one, but Aliens was SO FREAKING PERFECT of an idea, I almost crapped my pants.

I think the more important question is how often I *actually* crap my pants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuchick wrote:
you spoke disparagingly of the smelly unshowered python quoters in the local store..

when did you last shower?

This morning!

Quote:
what cologne do you wear?

I don't usually, but I have Old Spice and Axe:Kilo for the rare occasion when I do.

Quote:
do you enjoy Monty Python?

Of course!

Quote:
if yes, do you resent anyway those who quote it incessantly?

Well, yes. Everyone loves to quote lines from their favorite movies, i do too, I even quote Monty Python from time to time. Just stop after a line or two. You don't have to quote a half hour's worth of dialogue in an attempt to out-nerd the next guy.

Quote:
are you cute?

No.

Quote:
what's your favorite thing about me?

Your demure, reserved demeanor. kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

While we are on the topic of the Ice & Fire T.V. series...

Are you worried that their portrayal of certain characters will change how you see them? This could be jarring...especially since there are still a few more books to go.

How the heck are they going to handle all the kids in the books??! Especially Arya, Sansa and Bran...the problem with children and T.V. is that they age faster than the timeline: take Walt on Lost as an example.

What is your favorite house?

What is your favorite book in the series so far?

Do you refer to the series as "A Song of Ice and Fire" or "A Game of Thrones"? I find the latter much easier to say, though of course it isn't accurate.

More personal questions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
CapAp wrote:
I'm still looking for a way to get rid of those pesky villagers. EVERYONE deserves a special power.

I think Alexfrog had the right idea with the way his 5 player and 7 player games work. Anonymouse's 9 player variant extends this to 9. The Valley of the Seers and Village of the Seers series also do this pretty well I think. Have you tried any of those?

I like everyone having a special power, but there are obviously caveats to the idea as you have discovered. But there are also several methods to get around the roleclaim problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Right on! Congrats Cap on WotW.

Now, the question:

Why is Luthien your favorite Werewolf Player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were to be given ONE super power in real life, which one will you wish to have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
kuchick wrote:

Quote:

Ok: How often do you *actually* crap your pants?

(Now more serious...)

Describe, if you can, the process of creating Werewolf Gauntlet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:
If you were to be given ONE super power in real life, which one will you wish to have?

I think he's gonna answer that in Champions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
kuchick wrote:

Quote:

fair play..

how often do you actually crap your pants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
Congrats!

While we are on the topic of the Ice & Fire T.V. series...

Are you worried that their portrayal of certain characters will change how you see them? This could be jarring...especially since there are still a few more books to go.

That's true, and its something you always run a risk of when you put a beloved book on film. I'm hoping that HBO's attention to detail, lavish production quality, and writer-friendly atmosphere will create a strong counterpart to the books. And Martin's webpage makes it sound as if he's going to be rather strongly involved with the TV series, as he is with everything he's let this intellectual property get licensed for (comic book, board game, CCG).

Sometimes you hear about a film version being made, and you shudder (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen jumps to mind). I'm just really glad that the news I've heard so far is getting me excited rather than making me shudder.

Quote:
How the heck are they going to handle all the kids in the books??! Especially Arya, Sansa and Bran...the problem with children and T.V. is that they age faster than the timeline: take Walt on Lost as an example.

I don't think that will be a problem with these, because the reverse is actually true. The kids actually age more than 1 year per book, so the timeline will actually pass faster than the real time the series is filmed in! The Harry Potter movies have help up pretty well, because the timeline matches.

Quote:
What is your favorite house?
Stark. Not neccessarily all my favorite characters are from it, but overall, it's an awesome House with an awesome history. The First Men. The tough old bastards who come from the land of the ice and snow. I love me some vikings.

Quote:
What is your favorite book in the series so far?

A Storm of Swords. I think The Red Wedding was the most shocking and unexpected event I have ever read in a fictional novel.

Quote:
Do you refer to the series as "A Song of Ice and Fire" or "A Game of Thrones"? I find the latter much easier to say, though of course it isn't accurate.

I nearly always call it 'A Game of Thrones', unless I catch myself. It certainly sounds much cooler to me than 'A Song of Ice and Fire', but the fact is that until I read the second book, I didn't really even make the connection that the series had a different overriding title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avin wrote:
I think Alexfrog had the right idea with the way his 5 player and 7 player games work. Anonymouse's 9 player variant extends this to 9. The Valley of the Seers and Village of the Seers series also do this pretty well I think. Have you tried any of those?

I wasn't a player in any of those games, and actually, I'm not familiar with Anonymouse's game at all. I better Cassandra those. Alexfrog has done a lot of really interesting work with balance and rules. I miss that guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
Right on! Congrats Cap on WotW.

Now, the question:

Why is Luthien your favorite Werewolf Player?

Because I get to see Jack Skellington's smiling face every time he posts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:

In real life, I'd like to be invulnerable to physical harm. Like Superman, though. Not like The Thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuchick wrote:

how often do you actually crap your pants?

Anonymouse512 wrote:

Ok: How often do you *actually* crap your pants?

Now you know why I wear cologne every once in a while.

Quote:
(Now more serious...)

Describe, if you can, the process of creating Werewolf Gauntlet.

Hmmmm... ok.

1. "You know what would be cool? Marvel Superheroes and Werewolf."
2. "Hey everybody, I'm creating a Marvel Superheroes Werwolf game!"
3. Much excitement, people love superheroes.
4. "Everyone pick your character!"
5. Everyone picks a character.
6. "Uh oh. Now I better make some rules."

My game creation process is pretty poor. Balance is not really one of my more common end products, and I tend to come up with weird, funky mechanics to try to make something fit with the theme. Sometimes that works like magic (Shootouts in Doomtown, or the Duke Boys' seer-blocking in Mr T Versus the World). Sometimes it doesn't. Gauntlet was probably the worst example of me not nailing down exactly what was going on until beforehand, and trying to paint over the holes while the game was underway. And it led to big problems in the end.

In all seriousness, it was more like this:

1. Brainstorming a basic framework for the game (Thanos as the lone evil, with his choice of more powers or more wolves; attack structure and voting rules; different power types; etc)
2. Making a general but elastic set of powers that should definitely appear in the game (X number of limited seers, X number of vigilantes, etc)
3. Playing it by ear to a large extent while everyone selected which heroes they wanted to be. Matching players to powers as characters were selected, then adding some fluffy stuff to match the theme.
4. Look for tons of awesome Marvel artwork on the internet and post backstory and art for every player. Comics are a visual medium, and I tried to keep the pictures coming all the time. I think the preamble to the game was a TON of fun to write and read, it really whipped everyone up for the actual game, and people were excited to play their characters. I also honestly believe that once the game started, everyone changing their avatar to match their character made the game about three times more fun than it actually was.
5. Ah the most important step. CAST SLYDE AS THE HULK. Still the greatest character performance of all time. Beowulf as Doom would have been equally as hilarious, if they'd let him live as long as Slyde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats!

What is your Best false reveal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your best and worst online WW moments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on Wolf of the Week, Mr. Ap.

1) What is your favorite food? Your favorite drink?

2) What is your nightmare Werewolf scenario? (Roles, players, etc.)

3) Which superhero would you wrestle in Jello? If it's not Cap, justify your answer.

4) Who has impressed you in Werewolf with a particular skill or style?

5) What game would you recommend to those of us who haven't played it?

6) When do we get Dawn of the Dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acekim
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Gauntlet was probably the worst example of me not nailing down exactly what was going on until beforehand, and trying to paint over the holes while the game was underway. And it led to big problems in the end.

Nah, still probably the game of the year had we done the wolfies. The roleplay and tension were fantastic, and the game system was great too. You have a knack for creating atmosphere, as people don't tend to roleplay for sustained periods unless the atmosphere is right. Your games are truly original and a joy to play in and/or watch, and keep up the great work!

Glad to know the Alien game rescued you from the depths of retirement!

So are you usually disappointed if you don't get dealt a power role?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acekim wrote:
CapAp wrote:
Gauntlet was probably the worst example of me not nailing down exactly what was going on until beforehand, and trying to paint over the holes while the game was underway. And it led to big problems in the end.

Nah, still probably the game of the year had we done the wolfies. The roleplay and tension were fantastic, and the game system was great too. You have a knack for creating atmosphere, as people don't tend to roleplay for sustained periods unless the atmosphere is right. Your games are truly original and a joy to play in and/or watch, and keep up the great work!

You know, it's odd, I recall most of that game, but my memory just seems to fail when I get to the ending... blush

I just have to second everything acekim said here. I've played a few amazing games on here, but for me, WW Gauntlet was just The Game(tm) when in comes down to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Excellent choice for a Wolf of the Week! Congrats, Cap!

So was it hard coming up with two more truths and 1 more lie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.