Subject: Game balance across player counts (All Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
What is everyone's thoughts on difficulty for the various player counts?

I'm firmly in the camp of 2 is easier than 3 which is easier than 4. There seems to be a whole lot more negative stuff that affects everyone than positive stuff and you can always just not delay buying the cards that are better with more players.

I also think that there aren't enough good proficiency cards to go around to build good synergies for all 4 players, but maybe I'm missing something that's super awesome.

The other big thing is the amount of time it takes for good cards to get into the deck. Let's say control starts getting worrisome, well you can buy a card and have it into play in roughly half the turns with only two players where with 4 players it's going to take a lot longer to build the engine.

You're also again running into the lack of synergy thing again. You've got 4 players competing over cards instead of just 2 so it's more likely that you get boxed into a corner regarding purchases (IE only one 6 influence on the table and I have 6 influence but Ron would be better with this card), so you'll have to make more subpar purchasing choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting in game 4, if the team focuses on purchasing the "dice" cards, you can get some pretty insane things going on.

Remember that dice affect everyone. Extra health for everyone, extra cards for everyone, extra damage to deal and extra influence.

These are significantly more powerful in a game with more players.

Each of the 4 Heroes has one or two dominant strategies that don't majorly overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
I've found that 4 is the easiest by the time you get to game 7. Well maybe not easier, but you have higher potential for amazing turns. Maybe more swingy then?

Since you have to focus on the dice so much anyways you are getting the most out of them at 4 heroes (the hero abilities too). You do have to be careful that everyone is getting control removal and dice cards, though. Otherwise, like you said, you will run into the problem that it takes too long for the right effects to come up.

Regarding the proficiencies, yeah. Most of them just aren't that useful. Herbology for Neville is a no-brainer (Molly Weasley gives everyone 3 health and a card? Yes please!). I give Hermione the one where you get coins for buying spells, Ron gets Defense against the Dark Arts (to give him 3 attack tokens as often as possible), and the dice re-roll one for Harry (I feel like that one is mandatory in game 7). I should play around with the others to see if they work better, but they don't look that great on paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:
I should play around with the other [proficiencies] to see if they work better, but they don't look that great on paper.

We try to choose our proficiencies randomly, although so far we're willing to veto ones that actively work against our character ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.