$30.00
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a post earlier this week asking if there were any games in the 40k universe that has aimilar gameplay to the warhammer 40k miniatured game. I am asking because I'd like to find a game for a friend who used to be into the minatures game.

What game of any universe or setting is most similar to the 40k miniature(which I never myself have played), but in board game format?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say BoardGame format, are you looking for hexes and not rulers for movement?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
When you say BoardGame format, are you looking for hexes and not rulers for movement?

Anything as long as it is in a board game format.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
When you say BoardGame format, are you looking for hexes and not rulers for movement?

Anything as long as it is in a board game format.


So something where you don't have to buy individual units and it all comes in one package?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
When you say BoardGame format, are you looking for hexes and not rulers for movement?

Anything as long as it is in a board game format.


So something where you don't have to buy individual units and it all comes in one package?


All together in one package. I don't know if there is anything in board game format that is anywhere close to the war 40k minis game though, being that I've never played the miniatures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Percival
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially, nothing, as you are asking for one thing that is most like something completely different. It would be like asking for the board game that is most like driving in a F1 race. There are some good racing games, but ultimately none of them feel like you are driving a car.

The best answer is probably Space Hulk. It is a board game in the 40K setting that involves minis and dice. 95% of it is completely different, but it is probably the closest you will get.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elric of Grans wrote:
Essentially, nothing, as you are asking for one thing that is most like something completely different. It would be like asking for the board game that is most like driving in a F1 race. There are some good racing games, but ultimately none of them feel like you are driving a car.

The best answer is probably Space Hulk. It is a board game in the 40K setting that involves minis and dice. 95% of it is completely different, but it is probably the closest you will get.


I was thinking along the lines of how descent takes some aspects of rpgs/dungeon crawls, and does it in the board game format.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Milnes
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GW have recently produced a number of board games in the 40k universe, for example, Lost Patrol or Deathwatch Overkill, but they are very expensive for what they are. I wonder if that is what you are looking for?
regards
Ian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmachine or Hordes 2-player BattleBoxes contain 2 armies of about 15 or so dudes each side, rules, markers, dice, tokens and so on.

They run $80-$100 for a the two player sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
When you say BoardGame format, are you looking for hexes and not rulers for movement?

Anything as long as it is in a board game format.


So something where you don't have to buy individual units and it all comes in one package?


All together in one package. I don't know if there is anything in board game format that is anywhere close to the war 40k minis game though, being that I've never played the miniatures.


If you want a ruleset without the minis (use your own, such as legos) there is the Song of Blades and Heroes series. Just buy the rulebook.

IF you want a combat came with figures in a sci-fi setting, but not exactly the combat rules, and in a cooperative format, then Gears of War: The Board Game.

If you want squad based vs battles with minis, in WWII or Fantasy setting, then Memoir '44 or BattleLore (Second Edition).

IF you want minis in a expandable vs format, then Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie or its current re-implementation Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers

Considering that you don't know how the game is played but want a game like it, and that games like 40K and Warmachine and Infinity are in a non-boardgame class of their own, I don't know what to recommend but perhaps this will give you a few other boardgames that are similar in some ways to investigate.


Deathwatch: Overkill or Space Hulk (fourth edition) are actual Boardgame implementations of a small subset of the 40k miniatures game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
I would recommend Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth for anyone interested in a "light" mission based skirmish version of Warhammer 40K.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:

If you want squad based vs battles with minis, in WWII or Fantasy setting, then Memoir '44 or BattleLore (Second Edition).



If you want squad-based vs battles with minis in a sci-fi setting, using a slimmed-down, lightened version of the ruleset used in the games mentioned above, then check out Abaddon. (You can currently get this for $22 on Amazon. Not sure how long that will last though. Also, there's a Kickstarter campaign for the first expansion currently running.)


If you want squad-based vs battles with minis in an alternate-history WWII setting (using mechs instead of tanks!) then check out Dust Tactics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
We play 40k regularly, and we do like X-Wing quite a bit. It has a similar army building aspect using a point system, tactical skirmish using miniatures, dice play a large part, etc. Has a movement and attack phase just like 40k as well. Seems like they took something similar to the 40k framework and distilled it down to a game that you can learn to play in 10 minutes and play with almost anyone, whereas 40k is about as far from that as you can get.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.