Subject: ....but do I really need 2 core sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, okay, please don't flame me. I know this has been discussed over and over.

My question stems from the fact that of course after more and more expansion packs come out, there will be plenty of good neutral and low level cards to build a deck. I'm really wondering how many cards of which there are only one copy are really important or powerful? Is it worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Being a Co Op LCg, there are not any bad cards. They are all good and have their use.

Maybe your question is what cards do you see as staying as staples in decks.

I have 4 core sets, as I want all options.

Cards I think are always good in about all situations are...

Dodge
Lucky
Look what I found
Fast Gold card that auto finds a clue
Opportunist
Purple card that cancels a mythos card drawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing this solo or with one other player you only need one core set. Second set is needed if you want to play with three or four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Okay, okay, please don't flame me. I know this has been discussed over and over.

My question stems from the fact that of course after more and more expansion packs come out, there will be plenty of good neutral and low level cards to build a deck. I'm really wondering how many cards of which there are only one copy are really important or powerful? Is it worth it?

Since this is a co-op, I guess it depends on whether you feel the game is broken without you having multiple copies of certain cards. (and/or, will another core set enhance your options or your playing experience). Sorry -that's a non-answer, but I don't know that there is a right or wrong here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
Being a Co Op LCg, there are not any bad cards.

LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:

One core works if you only intend to play the core campaign at a low difficulty level and not do any deck building. It's a good purchase to try out the game and IMO it's a decent game on its own and should be seen as such. If you buy that, consider it a complete 2P game and ignore everything else.

If you want to do deckbuilding and challenge yourself to do scenarios at higher difficulty levels, two core sets (per about 2 players, possibly 3 if you really push it) is a must. And of course one of each expansion, roughly, per player.

I think the best option is to make a group and each buy one core and one of everything per player, and share the card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, sorry I know this has been beaten to death.

But like Ian said, I'm really only gonna play with 2 and just want to know if there are staple cards that I may need 2 sets for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:

But like Ian said, I'm really only gonna play with 2 and just want to know if there are staple cards that I may need 2 sets for?

I would say almost every card. The only cards that are doubled up are some of the common (classless) ones. The only reason to stick to 1 core IMO is to test the game out before committing more money, or if you're willing to play it at 2 players and stick to precons and the original scenarios.

For instance I expect More Ammo (a level 1? card) and the Shotgun (level 4) will feature in most leveled up Roland decks due to their synergy with his ability and the fact that it's cheaper than investing in another gun asset, and it also means having access to second copies of the .45 will make that deck more consistent as well. That's just from a quick perusal of the Guardian cards for my own deck building. For Wendy, I expect a lot of people wanting 2x Backstab and 2x Sneak Attack (and that's not even counting if you want to start playing two Rogue characters! in which case you might actually benefit from 2x core *per player*).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would get by with one core as I am a casual player playing mostly solo (but playing 2 player occasionally.)

I just ordered my second core set. The game is very difficult solo, and I want the option to deckbuild with 2x all cards.

I think you could get away with one core and be fine as time goes by, but this is really a phenomenal game. Thinking of all the money I am going to pour into expansions over the years, I think adding another core is a smart call for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no desire to construct decks so a single core is enough.

What does have me considering a second, however, is that if you play multiple games either solo or with multiple groups. While at some point, even with multiple steps, there is a limit to the number of independent character decks, it does lessen how often you need to swap cards in and out of other decks to play a parallel game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Trevor:

Do you have any objection to proxying cards?

If not, get a single core. Admittedly I've not played as much as others yet, but so far I've not needed a second copy of more than a very small portion of the card pool.

So, I have no regret having only gotten the one core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, as others have said, it really depends on what you want out of the game.

There are certainly cards that are better or worse than others in the main set, and as a baseline the starter decks mostly are singletons with just a few duplicate cards. If you want to tune your deck a bit, then having more copies of powerful core cards like Shotgun and Extra Ammo, as noted above for Roland, would obviously be helpful.

The other side benefit of tuning, as I have noted elsewhere, is that it makes the game less random as you are more likely to draw what you are looking for. To me the randomness inherent in a deck of singleton cards is just as much, if not more of a random factor than the chits you draw from the Chaos bag. The bag doesn't bother me, but if you want a happy medium of luck and skill, then doing a bit of deck construction seems like a good way to go, and the only real way to do that for the time being is by splurging for another core.

(and this is coming from someone who was not AT ALL interested in a second core initially, but I am now leaning towards getting one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think you have to have a second. You can play through the scenarios on standard/easy with one set and two investigators with a decent amount of success.

I am thinking that I would like a second so that I could try a few more character combinations and have a go at deck-building.

If you want to run two investigstors that can both have two copies of any card, then you are going to need four cores and two of every expansion. This is too much madness for me, but a second core will, I think, add more fun amd replayability to the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Prime
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was going to say, proxy seems to be the way to go if you want to experiment. Use cards from other games (or order some blank cards of same size), sleeve them with colored backs, and proxy with the images photo copied and slipped between. I do this with Netrunner to try out new decks and don't have enough cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:

For me personally there are staple cards you want 2 of - Shriveling, lucky, de Luca, and all the neutral cards that give a +2 to a skill check and draw a card if successful. That last one is the most important in my eyes, but that is debatable.

Further to complicate this you can proxy cards. Shriveling not so much and it feels necessary. But lucky and deluca have upgrades which you can sub in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:

(and this is coming from someone who was not AT ALL interested in a second core initially, but I am now leaning towards getting one).

Me too. Swore I wouldn't, but there are some cards that just seem too useful to not have second copies of. I am finding the last scenario pretty much impossible even just at Standard, and I do wonder if second copies of some cards would help that (e.g. Backstab, blinding light, lucky).

(And it doesn't seem a flame-worthy topic - I think asking it in light of it being played a little seems worthwhile.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second core also allows you to pre-setup all three scenarios from the campaign, as you only need at most two of each encounter set for the three parts campaign (none of them is in all three scenarios).

Convenience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. In LotR LCG did any subsequent boxes use encounter decks from the core box? If not, it seems like a high amount of subdividing the encounter decks in the core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
The only real reason to buy more than one copy of the core set is if you want to create multiple player decks that overlap classes right this instant. That's really it. The card catalog just isn't big enough at this point in the game's life to be able to play two guardians (or any other class) with just one core set. But do you really need to load your player deck with multiples of a particular card right now (2x shotguns?)? That's kind of up to you. Personally, I don't think it's necessary. Especially with the new deluxe expansion right around the corner and then a new AP shortly after that.

As far as LOTR LCG goes, the only card I regularly use from the core set when building decks is ally Gandalf. That's pretty much it. So, hundreds of player cards later, I'm glad I only bought one core set.

EDIT: a previous poster asked if any subsequent boxes used encounter cards from the core set. Only the mirkwood cycle did. The 6 adventure packs that followed the release of the core set. All subsequent "cycles" utilized only the encounter cards from the related deluxe expansion and adventure packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
EDIT: a previous poster asked if any subsequent boxes used encounter cards from the core set. Only the mirkwood cycle did. The 6 adventure packs that followed the release of the core set. All subsequent "cycles" utilized only the encounter cards from the related deluxe expansion and adventure packs.

That would be disappointing a little, given that the third scenario has
Spoiler (click to reveal)
single encounter sets for disciples of Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, Yog Sothoth and... Hastur?...
that could easily be reusable in future products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
rican919 wrote:

As far as LOTR LCG goes, the only card I regularly use from the core set when building decks is ally Gandalf. That's pretty much it. So, hundreds of player cards later, I'm glad I only bought one core set

So you don't use Test of Will, Unexpected Courage, Stewart of Gondor, Sneak Attack or Feint? Those are staple cards from the LotR core set and are auto includes in many, many decks.

I am happy that I got 2 cores for AH, and I am happy for my 4 LotR cores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
@xDarkAngelx

Since there won't be any adventure packs corresponding with this core set, I'm not even sure if any of the expansions will use the core set encounter cards. The Dunwich Legacy description says it only has two scenarios, so I don't think it will. But I guess we'll have to wait until we get more info from FFG announcements.

Despite that possibility, I see the Arkham scenarios getting a lot more replays than the Lord of the Rings scenarios given the different outcomes you can achieve(in my house anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Kløve wrote:
rican919 wrote:

As far as LOTR LCG goes, the only card I regularly use from the core set when building decks is ally Gandalf. That's pretty much it. So, hundreds of player cards later, I'm glad I only bought one core set

So you don't use Test of Will, Unexpected Courage, Stewart of Gondor, Sneak Attack or Feint? Those are staple cards from the LotR core set and are auto includes in many, many decks.

I do, but not regularly enough that I want to go get another core set. Just my preference to use other cards. It's one of the situations where I don't miss what I don't have, I guess.

In my circumstance, I'd rather buy more games than a duplicate of one I already have. Especially when I already budget in diapers and baby food/formula. I'm not saying a second core set wouldn't be nice. But it's certainly not necessary to successfully play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
rican919 wrote:
Kløve wrote:
rican919 wrote:

I do, but not regularly enough that I want to go get another core set. Just my preference to use other cards. It's one of the situations where I don't miss what I don't have, I guess.

In my circumstance, I'd rather buy more games than a duplicate of one I already have. Especially when I already budget in diapers and baby food/formula. I'm not saying a second core set wouldn't be nice. But it's certainly not necessary to successfully play the game.

I agree with that, and with your priorities. For me, as much as I like these games, the extra cores provide more value than another game. I did get some of the LotR cores used though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
@Klove

I can definitely see the value in having another core set. I just wanted to offer the OP a suggestion to his question if it's really necessary to get another core set to get the most out of the Arkham game. I'd say if he's on the fence, then don't do it until he's sure he really wants another one after a full run through of the scenarios.

It's not a competitive game (where loading your deck would be more necessary) and with a small deck limit you can only fit so much. Also, unlike LotR, "losing" or resigning a scenario isn't necessarily a game ender. Being under the gun can actually make the narrative more interesting or even funny (scenario 3, *ahem*. If you did it, you know what I mean).

Although yes, if you find a cheap copy, go for it. I'd do it too for the right price. Ultimately, these kinds of games allow you to play how you want. That's why they hook me so easily *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.