13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: This Game Was $5. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a demonstration copy. And some pieces were laid out on a table. It did not look too bad. But of course, I was with an antsy person so I did not get a close look.

It was out of shrink wrap (being poor, I do not care). Not sure if there were pieces missing or not. Probably handled a half dozen times.

I did NOT pick it up.

I KNOW that no one else would probably play it with me, being a 2-5 game. And I was uncertain if it had a solo variant here somewhere.

Was I a fool not to pick it up? Or would you have done the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ummm...what game was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King's Vineyard

or at least that's what could've happened to me, New Dimension Comics in Cranberry, PA had a red sticker on it for $5.

I didn't get it, I should've.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've got my share of "It's only $5-$10" games. Mostly used, from local BGG auctions, etc. To be completely honest, most of the time they really aren't worth it.

I've rationalized:

- It's so cheap, if I only play it once, it will be worth it..
- How bad could it really be???

If I answer those questions honestly, its:

- I don't have enough time to play the games I've researched and really wanted enough to paid full price for, so how am I going to get these marginal games to the table.
- A $5-$10 game can still be pretty bad. And while some of those cheap games were considered good/great 5-10+ years ago, some don't seem to hold up well with age, as newer games, improving upon their basic mechanic or theme are released.

I'm not going to say you don't find your occasional gem, but as far as buying games I've never heard of, or didn't properly research, I've sworn off buying them. (at least until the next BGG Auction or Thrift Store find....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I got a game that was 75% off on clearance but it was all there. What game was it that you bought for $5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not always true, but mostly the games that keep their value are worth it, and those that end up in the bargain bin or in the clearance sale end up on collector's shelves waiting to get played once, or a second time are not.

Obviously there are exceptions to this, and finds of a lifetime, and overlooked gems, but still...King's Vineyard isn't one of those.

So good job missing the pitfall most of us fall into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the same for me with films. Loads of second hand DVDs and even Blu-Ray around for less than £1, but I will still be picky, since you still have to find time to invest in watching them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Lanterns.

And no, I didn't buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've told this story a few times before; my friend, who owns two gaming/comic book stores near Pitt University, found a fully intact HeroQuest Advanced Quest at a thrift store for $5.

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
xhunterko wrote:
It was Lanterns.

And no, I didn't buy it.

I think Lanterns: The Harvest Festival would be worth $5. Its an interesting tile game.. while I wouldn't say its a game that's extremely exciting or laugh out loud fun, it is a good game..

I'll caveat that with the fact that I paid $20 for my copy New from Amazon.com, but its still new in shrink on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being cheap is not a reason to buy a game. I like when games are cheap, but if I know I'm not going to play them, it's a pass. Shelf space dictates that I start to be a little more picky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:
It is the same for me with films. Loads of second hand DVDs and even Blu-Ray around for less than £1, but I will still be picky, since you still have to find time to invest in watching them.

I completely agree. For me "Am I going to find the time to play this game?" is a bigger question than "Can I afford this game?"

I already own games I want to play but don't have time for (along with books I want to read and movies I want to watch). Adding another game to the pile will just make the situation worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game i guess? If you never play it, then 5 dollar is already too much.

I once bought Diplomacy at a thrift shop for 50 euro cents (at that time almost a dollar).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.