$60.00
$20.00
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the DaE rules, which say that Smoke does not affect units in the Steeple, but WP does. But I wonder about the reason.

Is it because Smoke has a height of two levels while WP has four levels? On which level is a Steeple?

I guess that Smoke outside the Steeple hex has an effect when a unit on the ground is hiding in it? Does it also have an effect when a unit hides one hex behind the Smoke, when drawing LOS from the Steeple (similar blind-hex effect as with obstacles)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:

Is it because Smoke has a height of two levels while WP has four levels?

That's it.

phxhf wrote:
On which level is a Steeple?

It's never mentioned explicitly, but you know that it's more than L1 and less than L5.

phxhf wrote:

I guess that Smoke outside the Steeple hex has an effect when a unit on the ground is hiding in it? Does it also have an effect when a unit hides one hex behind the Smoke, when drawing LOS from the Steeple (similar blind-hex effect as with obstacles)?

There's no blind hex effect for hindrances. If the LOS between target and firer crosses the Smoke hex at any point then there's a smoke hindrance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
The steeple hex is a bit of a unique bird in Decision at Elst. Why it is not affected by smoke is a curious thing that I cannot explain, except to say that it's a starter-kit unique rule (what in the full ASL game might be explained by a scenario special rule or by the use of full terrain rules that would put the Steeple at elevation 3, for example.)

If you find some confusion between LOS hindrance and the blind hex, where Decision at Elst is concerned, you are probably thinking about Orchard hexes when tracing LOS from the Steeple to a ground-level hex. In this case, an orchard would not be a Hindrance, but would instead be a LOS-blocking terrain as if it were woods (of which there are none on the D@E map).

The map (and the way the rules work for it) in D@E is one of the most peculiar design decisions for that starter kit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
phxhf wrote:
On which level is a Steeple?

It's never mentioned explicitly, but you know that it's more than L1 and less than L5.

And in full ASL? How can you draw LOS over hills and other multi-level obstacles, when you don't know the elevation of the Steeple?

Or is the elevation always defined by SSR, like Heliodrous04 mentioned?

Heliodorus04 wrote:
If you find some confusion between LOS hindrance and the blind hex, where Decision at Elst is concerned, you are probably thinking about Orchard hexes when tracing LOS from the Steeple to a ground-level hex. In this case, an orchard would not be a Hindrance, but would instead be a LOS-blocking terrain as if it were woods (of which there are none on the D@E map).

Orchards are clear to me, as their in-season tree-crowns are turning them into an obstacle from higher elevations.

But I'm not yet 100% sure about Smoke. As I understand it now, Smoke will always be a Hindrance when drawing LOS through it, from any elevation to any location on the map. Except for Smoke in the Steeple, as the Steeple is higher than the Smoke.

Although it seems a bit strange that you cannot look unhindered over the L2 Smoke directly besides your Steeple hex, when targetting a hex far away from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:
Or is the elevation always defined by SSR, like Heliodrous04 mentioned?

More or less - in full ASL a steeple is typically one level higher than the full level below it, so if the building is a 2-level building, a steeple in the same hex would (typically) be at level 3. SSRs can change that, of course, to something greater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.