Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll start right out with this…I love this game, I have loved this game, and I will continue to love this game. Does that cover all possible times that I can possibly love this game? Yes, I think so…

I don’t remember what it was that initially set me up to fall so madly in love with Energy Empire, perhaps it was my first play of Manhattan Project and after reading reviews, realizing the real “Gotcha” aspect of the gameplay. This is not an aspect of gameplay that I prefer, rather more of a tactical approach to the choices in play that may help yourself, but hinder others, albeit more indirectly. Or maybe it was my constant checks of Kickstarter. Regardless, I found it and I am forever glad I did.

Reading the rules as I anxiously awaited the Kickstarter project to even start, I knew this was going to be a long wait. Everything I love about gaming was to be contained within this box. Worker placement, tactical gameplay, engine building, tableau building, resource management, beautifully made resources and DICE. Oh my, how I love dice. This was to have it all and I was excited.

I have played twice and I each time, I felt the same slow buildup. Looking over the board and the choices to make from the very onset of the game will shape your strategy. Which nation do I take? Will I be able to earn the points from the first achievement I take? Will I be able to gain on my nation’s U.N. track while still producing what I need for my achievements? Every time, I have seen my strategy take shape as the buildings and achievements are laid out. To see how the game starts to point you in a direction towards how you can win. Planning on which structures to take, and if you can/should take from the same market. Or if you should diversify from the three. Should do another 2-3 work turns with my extra workers/energy, or to do I sacrifice them so I can make sure to get that achievement before someone else takes it? So many ways how it all works together and I love figuring it out each time.

As is evidenced by this glowing report, I have little bad to say about the game. The ONLY semi-bad thing I can say is that it has taken me ~30 minutes or so each time to teach the game. There is just so many ways everything in-game works together, I would be remiss to skip anything with a “you’ll figure it out once we start playing” because small misses in the rule explanation will have a large effect on everything that player may be planning. One player missed the 5-point max on each achievement (even though I said it twice) and banked a little too much on an achievement being worth more that it was. Other than that, it is perfect in every way for me. If you are a fan of worker placement, some tactical planning, resource management, engine building, then this is the game for you.

The retail box has all the same contents (Save for one promo card) as the Kickstarter version, so you will get the translucent pink, plastic cubes representing plastic, the nicely sculpted, hefty oil barrels representing oil, the silver painted wooden I-beams representing steel, and the custom energy dice (did I mention I loved dice?) The rest of the components are top notch and the game is a delight to play.

Luke Laurie, the game’s creator, is already working on expansion ideas. I don’t know what I am looking for in expansions yet, but I can only imagine it will add more replayability to an already greatly replayable game.

Now to go and try nuking my environment and see how well that strategy works out…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JpC812 wrote:
I’ll start right out with this…I love this game, I have loved this game, and I will continue to love this game. Does that cover all possible times that I can possibly love this game? Yes, I think so…

Great review. One quick question though. Do you love the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.