Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody. I have a large collection of C&C Ancients. Is Battlelore 2nd different enough to justify buying also into this game? What about Battles of Westeros? This seems also to be similar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned both C&C: Ancients and Battlelore briefly... and then traded away C&C:A.

I'm trying to manage my collection to 100 to 120 games, and given that, I had a hard time justifying owning both sets. They are similar enough that they both take up the same "slot" in my collection.

Now, having said that, they do play differently. For me, highlights of C&C:A were the impact of leaders on each side, as well as the reward for maintaining a proper formation.

For Battlelore the highlights for me are the lore deck, the ability to customize a bit during setup, and the secret unit deployment setup and reveal.

C&C:A is a slightly more complex game, or at least the unit diversity is more complex. It's two different expressions of the same system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never bought into BattleLore 2nd edition because I didn't like the victory point system of holding ground rather than killing units and breaking the enemy army. BattleLore 1st edition I own, though it isn't that different from C&C Ancients.

If you're going to pick up BattleLore 2nd edition, now is a good time, as it looks like Fantasy Flight is clearing out their copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andreas,
I think the answer depends on the scale at which you look at them. If you look from afar, among all games listed in BGG, these games are quite similar. If you zoom in and restrict the comparison to card driven light wargames, I would say that they are pretty different.

BattleLore 2nd edition has the feeling of a very fast skirmish miniature game. There is army customization. There are very specific unit abilities with exploitable synergies and "magic events" driven by lore cards that add another game dimension above the battlefield, much similarly to BattleLore first edition.

Battle of Westeros plays more as a miniature wargame: wider units maneuvering as the map is larger. There are rules for zone of control and engagement. Units are more "standard" but leaders have special powers that change the way you play them. The major difference of the game is that you are dealt an hand of cards and you have to play them all BEFORE having a new hand. Rules are more complex and the game last much longer.

If you like light fast blood-bath skirmishes, go for BattleLore 2nd edition. If you like planning and maneuvering, go for BOW. I enjoyed and am still enjoying them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
cichlidhead wrote:
I owned both C&C: Ancients and Battlelore briefly... and then traded away C&C:A.

I owned both and kept C&C:A! The victory points system in BL2 was fun to start with, but began to get tired for us after a while. There is so much C&C:A still to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.