Subject: Good Alternatives to Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor van Waveren
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
First off, I still love Catan and have a ton of fun playing it.

I’m at that point though, that I want to try something else, but still in the same vain as Catan.

I’m a big Dice Tower fan and have watched a ton of top 10 lists and still don’t have a good feel for what to try.

Basically this is how I’d like to post he question: “Oh, so you love Catan, why don’t you try this game the next time you play a game…”

Thanks for any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you elaborate a bit? Helpful information would include: likes, dislikes, favorite mechanisms, player count relevance, duration preferences, etc.

Off the bat, though, I am going to say The Castles of Burgundy and Roll for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It struck me while playing Concordia for the first time that it would be a good "next game" after Catan.

It has a very simple rule set and a more interesting approach to building than in Catan. Blocking is a non-issue, it just gets more expensive if you are late to the party in a given location.

And no trading with other players. If I want to trade with other players, I'd rather play something completely different, like Colosseum or Bohnanza.

Edit: goofs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSAguy wrote:
First off, I still love Catan and have a ton of fun playing it.

I’m at that point though, that I want to try something else, but still in the same vain as Catan.

I’m a big Dice Tower fan and have watched a ton of top 10 lists and still don’t have a good feel for what to try.

Basically this is how I’d like to post he question: “Oh, so you love Catan, why don’t you try this game the next time you play a game…”

Thanks for any feedback!

It really depends on what you like most about Catan. If you like the general theme and the strategy, then +∞ for The Castles of Burgundy.

If, however, you enjoy all the over the table interaction (dealing for sheep and wood and such), then you might enjoy something like Cosmic Encounter more.

Still, I personally don't think you can go wrong with The Castles of Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the Catan expansions? If not, they can give Catan a refresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
It struck me while playing Concordia for the first time that it would be a good "next game" after Catan.

It has a very simple rule set and a more interesting approach to building than in Catan. Blocking is a non-issue, it just gets more expensive if you are late to the party in a given location.

And no trading with other players. If I want to trade with other players, I'd rather play something completely different, like Colosseum or Bohnanza.

Edit: goofs.

+1 for Concordia! We've successfully pitched and played this with our friends as "better than Catan."

Plus, Shut Up & Sit Down has a RAVING video review of it that you can share with your friends to peak/test their interest.

We cite the positive features such as:
-Scoring at the end! No feeling sad that you're behind on the score track.
-No blocking! No feeling stuck early in the game and suffering for 2 more hours.
-Multiple paths to victory! Feel one path getting constricted? You can pivot strategies.
-Multiple paths to what you want! If you want something badly, there's more than one way to get it.
-A game of abundance, not famine. Not a Uwe game where you barely survive.
-Really fast turns! Of course new players will be slower at first; but once you've learned it, turns are really short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for Catan 2.0 for a long time.

If you like the trading aspect, I am not really sure of a good alternative. If you like the expanding across a map, I recommend Archipelago or Concordia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered Mare Nostrum: Empires from another thread. It has a cool trading system, and you get to build buildings across the board. Plays best at 5, but is a legit 90 minute game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you update your BGG profile to include all the games you own and how you rate them. Then you can find Geek Buddies and have a constant flow of game ideas.

And be very, very poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Catan and had a hard time finding anything that scratched the same itch. However, here are some that we have really enjoyed after playing Catan:

Catan: Cities & Knights
Stone Age dice rolling and resource management
Castles of Mad King Ludwig build a crazy castle and get points for adjacency, secret goals, and public goals
Archaeology: The Card Game - some similiar mechanics to Catan, but in a compressed time frame (trading, stealing, losing half your cards, etc.)
Machi Koro - dice rolling certain numbers produces certain things. Build different buildings with different numbers to accelerate your growth.

If you like player interaction, here are 2 I would recommend:
Santiago - farming game with area scoring, bribery, and once-round auctions
Cosmic Encounter - negotiation game where each player has a special power
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alhambra, Ad Astra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've heard Deus described as a step up from Catan. But you may want to branch out and try some other classics, like

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Pandemic
Takenoko
Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike II -- civ lite without dice or other randomness

Chinatown -- the best trading game

Trains -- deck-building driving meaningful board play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compounded has a good trading aspect, if that's what you're interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you are just starting out on this boardgame discovery. Catan is a great gateway game to Eurogames and you may want to experience more of these types of games. I highly recommend you take a look at the Hotness list (on the left side of the screen). Also take a look at the top 100 (or even 200) and take a closer look at what catches your fancy.

My interest in Eurogames grew with my first xp with Settlers of Catan. I loved the game so much that for a while, I only bought anything related to Catan such as the 2 expansions, the cardgame version, historical scenarios and offshoots. At my FLGS, I was fortunate enough to experience other Eurogames and bought the ones that I enjoyed also. Later, I learned of the Spiel des Jahres award and bought a few that won that coveted award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much are you willing to ramp up the complexity?

If you really want to harvest limited resources and build up your faction on an island (or group of islands) then take a look at Archipelago.
The game is gorgeous and there are all kinds of things you can build...if things go well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:

If you really want to harvest limited resources and build up your faction on an island (or group of islands) then take a look at Archipelago.
The game is gorgeous and there are all kinds of things you can build...if things go well.

This is definitely a great "next step" game. However, be aware that the time needed to play it will be double or triple how long it takes to play Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor van Waveren
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and great suggestions.
I'll update my profile and digest what had all been mentioned.

Thanks again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
msg tools
Phogg wrote:

+1 Amazing game! If this suits your fancy, 'Keyflower' is another great tile based game in a similar level of complexity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Perry
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
Llamadust Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and sister in law were huge catan lovers until I introduced them to Stone Age(who doesn't love rolling dice?), Mare Nostrum(trading, area control, economic), Empires age of discovery(area control, economic) and Lords of Waterdeep(resource management). The one they loved the most is Stone Age and I think you would too to start, it's easy to learn and has an element of push your luck and can be very cut throat like catan can be sometimes.

They still like the game and I don't mind playing it now and again but if given the choice they always choose one of the above over it.

I would also add dice city and+ 1 for machi koro as they are similar to one aspect of catan. Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorin pirdea
msg tools
El Grande. Fast to learn but more strategy than Catan. No dice or other luck elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably jumping off the deep end a bit, but I have always felt that Glass Road and Terra Mysticagive me a similar feeling to Catan, almost Catan-Advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Colosseum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KristopherHickman wrote:
This is probably jumping off the deep end a bit, but I have always felt that Glass Road and Terra Mysticagive me a similar feeling to Catan, almost Catan-Advanced.

Haven't played Glass Road. Totally agree re Terra Mystica. But I think an intermediary step would be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sala Skan
msg tools
Handa doen Concordia and Terra Mystica for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.