Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944» Forums » General

Subject: Mounted Map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing all the infantry tutorials a few months ago, I am setting this game back up to explore the armor tutorials. My first thought upon opening the box was "why is this map not mounted?" It should be!

So I went over to GMT Games site and nominated it for a P500 mounted map. If you are like minded, maybe doing the same thing may trigger them to create a new P500 entry. It could happen!

If you are not like minded, nothing to do here - you have your (beautiful) paper map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly support this if the map was made a bit lighter (in terms of colour) as it is generally recognised the paper map ended up a bit darker than expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Rewucki
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I`d certainly support this if I knew how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted them via this link: https://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTSupport.aspx and expressed interest in a mounted map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew HOLMES
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I would be interested, depending on the cost. My dog already put its claws through my map. When I asked about another paper copy map, they said 10 dollars plus postage. I'm in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd certainly support this if the map was made a bit lighter (in terms of colour) as it is generally recognised the paper map ended up a bit darker than expected.

While I'm skeptical about there being enough interest for a mounted map, if there was, I'd be sure to coordinate with GMT to make sure that it comes out lighter in print (as intended) this time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the current color scheme, though I think I am in the minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd buy it just as a backup map because I'd never want to be unable to play this game! I like the paper map because I can fit 3 chit trays and everything I need to play (everything but the reference book, play book, LOS, ARC, and Tutorial cards) in the box. Plus, rotating and sliding stacks of counters is probably easier on plexiglass. I'm used to the dark color of the map as is but a touch lighter would make the hash marks showing elevation stand out better though since my light isn't very good where I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The lightness factor alone is good reason, but the game deserves a mounted map.

Personally, having only games with paper maps in the modern era, I'm really itching to use an old fashioned mounted map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love GMT's mounted maps, plus I hate the white lines that appear on paper maps from repeated foldings. Let's hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lloyd
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
World Champs!!....again
badge
Forgot me velcro gloves again...
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's anything like the mounted map from Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 then count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really good news guys. GMT announced that the Operation Dauntless mounted map is going to have Red Winter printed on the opposite side without a price increase. Hopefully the Red Winter fans get on "board" and it goes through the P500 fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pinetree wrote:
If it's anything like the mounted map from Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 then count me in!

Yes that is a fantastic map board, after having used it, I feel it's totally worth converting over to GMT's mounted boards whenever possible.

I'm really looking forward to seeing my two favourite games getting this treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sterner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't like having maps of two different games on the same board. I don't own Red Winter, don't want it on my Dauntless board, don't like double-sided maps generally, and wouldn't want components of one game having to be included in the box of another game (requiring me to pull out two game boxes to play that game). I'd pay for two boards in these circumstances GLADLY.

BTW, GMT doesn't always require 500 preorders to print mapboards for multiple games. They seem to be able to do mapboards with less as long as their combined mapboard printing for several titles exceeds the 500-order threshold (see the FAB games, e.g.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.