Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this is already addressed in the forums. Searching for "then" yields many false positives.

Hopefully this is not too disjointed.

I was reading through the Rules Reference today and I found on page 17 `"Then" Effects`.

Can anybody explain the reasoning behind the ruling that if you cannot fully execute the pre-Then effect you cannot do the post-Then effect at all?

Their example is not great for their case in my opinion (i.e. Scavenge AW132, if you discard less than three cards you cannot add an attachment to your hand).

According to RR 9, if you are required to discard four cards from your two card hand, you have to discard all of them so I think it would follow that if you have to discard three cards from your one card deck, you must discard all of them.. Right?

So then couldn't there still be valid targets for Scavenge in your discard pile?

I took a brief look through the cards that have the word "Then" in their text on swdestinydb.com and pretty much all of them didn't make sense if the pre-Then effect didn't resolve, so you couldn't even resolve the post-Then effect (a lot of them involved "any number" so you could pick zero to fully resolve the pre-Then effect).

If someone could explain this to me or maybe discuss why this was ruled in this way, that would be very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider it an extra 'cost' to get the post-Then effect that you must fully pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, the pre-then part is the cost to pay for the effect, if you cant pay the full amount you cant resolve the effect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.