Paolo Maiello
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

which game would you recommend if I wanted to play something on Christmas day with the family?

Considering that:

1) the game needs to accomodate eight players at least

2) players' age ranges from 20-something to 70

3) we are a familiy of two nationalities and two languages, so in-game verbal communication would be very challenging, if not impossible.

4) I would like to avoid sci-fi, fantasy or violent themes.

5) Rules should be very simple, and quick to explain.

6) Only two of us plays games regularly, the rest are definitely non-gamers.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames pictures would seem to fit the bill, as long as you are able to talk a bit.
Otherwise, something simple like Pictionary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very light and fast game:

I got Crossing to play with my family at Thanksgiving, and it provided a lot of laughs; we had a blast. I feel like it would fall flat with serious gamer friends, but it is a hoot for non-gamers.

I have two languages in my family as well (English and American Sign Language), and found the rules easy to explain in ASL.

Crossing only goes up to 6, but I think that at large gatherings, not everyone wants to play a game all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
Codenames pictures would seem to fit the bill, as long as you are able to talk a bit.

This game relies on being fluent in English, so only try this if everyone is fluent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:
freduk wrote:

This game relies on being fluent in English, so only try this if everyone is fluent.

It does? Maybe the instructions, but the game itself is just pictures. Are you thinking of the original Codenames? (I made the same mistake myself.) The BGG for Codenames: Pictures says there is no language dependence.

There is still an outstanding problem of a common language. If you can understand or translate single word clues and numbers this would be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Maiello
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:
A very light and fast game:

I got Crossing to play with my family at Thanksgiving, and it provided a lot of laughs; we had a blast. I feel like it would fall flat with serious gamer friends, but it is a hoot for non-gamers.

I have two languages in my family as well (English and American Sign Language), and found the rules easy to explain in ASL.

Crossing only goes up to 6, but I think that at large gatherings, not everyone wants to play a game all the time.

Hi Rebecca,

Crossing is very, very close to what I need...if only it could accomodate 8 players...I wonder if buying two copies would help.

We are not planning to play a long time, maybe an hour or a bit more, so it would be nice if everyone could get involved at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WINK is a totally silly fun in a box, requiring that only that one be able to wink (though if someone struggles with this, even better). We've played it with 8 players, ages from 10 to 87.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Eckels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Tacic wrote:
PlayBosco wrote:
freduk wrote:

It does? Maybe the instructions, but the game itself is just pictures. Are you thinking of the original Codenames? (I made the same mistake myself.) The BGG for Codenames: Pictures says there is no language dependence.

There is still an outstanding problem of a common language. If you can understand or translate single word clues and numbers this would be fine.

I would probably still avoid it unless the teams are split on language lines. Clues can definitely be in the form of wordplay and homonyms, which wouldn't translate particularly well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wood
Australia
Scarborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuji Flush meets all your requirements, nice and light 8 player game. That requires no in game communication, has a neutral/no theme (cards with numbers). Has been a real hit with my casual gaming friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party! perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For something similar to crossing and really simple, Diamant or Diamant would be ideal and plays up to 8. Not sure you could stretch an hour out of it though.

Crossing might work with two packs but again, not sure would go much past half hour as we have this game also.

Saboteur (compilation editions) would also be ideal and plays up to 12 and has no reliance on language past explaining what a few of the cards are and we find it really fun - get the one with version one and two together as adds more variety and is the same price normally.

Sushi Go Party! may also be an option if you can get it in time. I know it was supposed to be restocked in november but it hasn't appeared in this country yet????

If you wanted something a little more gamey and less social, you could get two sets of Karuba but I think I would prefer to play saboteur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just thought, if you wanted a really really simple game, then perhaps Snorta! which can be fun with large groups (especially if you've had a couple of glasses of wine. Although prob would prefer incan gold lol.

We'll be playing Ca$h 'n Gun$ but wasn't sure if this would be over or under your violence level - basically you get to point foam guns at each other. Otherwise, another party game might be Dead Last which can be really funny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that incan gold would work well.

You could also try Ugg-Tect - there is certainly verbal communication but it's using a language that is new to everyone (caveman speak)

Another idea: 6 nimmt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Belšak
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur with Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) (or the compilation edition which was already mentioned if available) thumbsup no text, no verbal communication needed, it goes up to 12 players, the rules are intuitive and not complicated. I use it 90% of the time when non-gamers are interested in trying something from the wonderful world of boardgaming

p.s. and it's cheap! It's only a deck of cards but it provided us with hours and hours of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has a great search feature which would let you explore the database.

One of those is player counts.

7+ is a pretty specific query term since most games typically seat in the 2- range.

Hit "Advanced Search" next to the "Search" box and put "7-10" as the player number, which will catch most of the things you're looking for.

Once you've done that cut you can facet things and search for other parameters as you desire.

Many of the games mentioned already are in the top 100 query results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwixx Deluxe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant or Diamant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. December 25th ... December 25th?

Oh yeah! Getting drunk enough to believe Kansas City will beat Denver again.

(American football, NFL, Sunday night game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Maiello
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
BGG has a great search feature which would let you explore the database.

One of those is player counts.

7+ is a pretty specific query term since most games typically seat in the 2- range.

Hit "Advanced Search" next to the "Search" box and put "7-10" as the player number, which will catch most of the things you're looking for.

Once you've done that cut you can facet things and search for other parameters as you desire.

Many of the games mentioned already are in the top 100 query results.

Cool,

never thought of that blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up could work - there's nothing to read in the game and the rules are straight forward It went down very well at my last family gathering which was the same age range as your gathering - and it takes up to 8 players!

In fact, they liked it so much I've been requested to bring it to Christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.