Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's work is collecting toy and clothing donations for children in need to give out during Christmas time and we're donating gifts for several children.

She noticed that one child is a ten year old girl who likes board games, so I figured this would be a perfect fit.

Unfortunately, that's the only information I have about this child - no info as to what games she already enjoys, or what other interests she has, so I'm having some difficulty choosing a game.

The game that immediately came to mind was Forbidden Island since it's relatively inexpensive, fun, and the concept of cooperative games is still new to those unfamiliar with the modern board game world. But part of me thinks that I should pick something that's a little less widely available since I have no idea how familiar she is with modern board gaming.

Anyway, any recommendations are welcome, particularly from those who have children in that age range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Forbidden Island is a great choice. I can also think of Forbidden Desert, Castle Panic, Flash Point, Pandemic The Cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most little girls I've known love pandas, so Takenoko might be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto Junior

Perfect game for a 10 year old girl. Miniaturemarket.com still has 4 copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that the girl will be teaching herself the game, so I would go with something that is similar to games that might be familiar to her.

Qwirkle is an example of this. You use tiles similar to playing scrabble.

Dino Hunt Dice has you rolling dice and re-rolling, kind of like Yahtzee.

FITS is like tetris (although, do 10 year olds know what tetris is now?)

My daughter is 10 and she can figure out a lot of games by herself pretty easily. But she's been playing boardgames her whole life. If she wasn't familiar with Ticket to Ride, she could probably figure it out on her own, but I think a lot of her friends would have trouble with that. But her 10 year old friends could probably figure out something like Can't Stop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigkat wrote:
It's possible that the girl will be teaching herself the game, so I would go with something that is similar to games that might be familiar to her.

Qwirkle is an example of this. You use tiles similar to playing scrabble.

Dino Hunt Dice has you rolling dice and re-rolling, kind of like Yahtzee.

FITS is like tetris (although, do 10 year olds know what tetris is now?)

My daughter is 10 and she can figure out a lot of games by herself pretty easily. But she's been playing boardgames her whole life. If she wasn't familiar with Ticket to Ride, she could probably figure it out on her own, but I think a lot of her friends would have trouble with that. But her 10 year old could probably figure out something like Can't Stop

This is a on excellent point.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Looks like I still have a lot to consider

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My choices all have simple rules and can be played with 2 or more players. She may only have 1 other person to play against, or she may have multiple people. So these games give her that flexibility.

Card Games
Cardline: Animals
Archaeology: The Card Game

Gateway Games
Alhambra
Ticket to Ride
Machi Koro
Carcassonne

+1 Qwirkle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tsuro, Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.