Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cowboy Georges
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game twice and this action is still a mystery to me :

Draw 1 card then discard 1 card.

Seems quite clear.
And very effective to get your good cattle cards in hand.
But each time i've used this, i got really disappointed :
- 1st time : i have drawn the cards i want but ... hey ! Now i must discard !? I don't want to ! But I had to, i did, and at the end of my turn i have drawn bad one to fill my hand ...
- 2nd time : bad luck, i have drawn bad cards, rejected them, and then drawn same ones at the end of my turn

My question is :

- In this action, waht is the bonus, and what is the requirement ?

In the rules, it is clearly stated :
1/ the requirement must be met but you may not take the bonus
2/ requirements are in red, bonus are in white or green.

So for this action, the requirement is : discarding a card
And the bonus is : draw a card.
But you have to take the bonus before meeting the requirement.

This sounds weird.

And worst, it can be a bad bad thing : if you only have good cards and you draw others, you will have to discard some as you can't skip the requirement !

Shoudn't the requirement be : draw 1 card
and the bonus : discard 1 card.

This way, if you draw bad cards you can discard them as you would have done the "right" way, if you draw good ones, you can keep them.

To my point of view it would have been a better way to reduce luck in the draw.

Or do I misunderstand this action, or just to good way to use it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This auxiliary action is about the most helpful of all, so I presume you misunderstand the action somehow, but I cannot deduce from your text where/how.

The action only makes sense if you're not happy with your current cards in hand. In worst case, you draw a card you don't like (e.g. because you have that type of card already in your hand): then you simply discard the drawn card. Otherwise, you discard a different card.

Example: you have two 1-cattle, one white 2-cattle and one black 2-cattle. Delivery value = 5. You take the auxiliary action and hope that you draw a green 2-cattle (or a 3/4/5-cattle, if you already bought those). If indeed you draw a green 2-cattle, you discard one 1-cattle and have a delivery value of 7. If you draw e.g. another 1-cattle, you discard it right away and while your delivery value hasn't changed, you at least sped up your deck throughput rate.

Note that if you take this as a double auxiliary action, you're actually allowed to draw TWO cards, then discard two cards from your temporarily inflated hand. That's significantly better than doing the draw-1-discard-1 action twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is any question how to play this properly. You draw 1 card then you must discard 1 card.

If you're going into an aux action with a hand you like then the only way this action does you any good is to draw a bad card. There is an element of risk management here, along with deck/hand management. For maximum effect you're better off doing this action when your deck is good and your hand is not. If you use it at other times, that's a risk you're taking and you might want to consider the opportunity cost and maybe choose a different aux action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lot of words.

You draw a card. Now you have 5 cards. Then you discard any of your 5 cards. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Lot of words.

You draw a card. Now you have 5 cards. Then you discard any of your 5 cards. That's it.

Yep. If your hand contains any duplicate cattle, this action gives you a chance to add a non-duplicate cattle card. It's not guaranteed, but it's a chance at a better hand.

If you already have a good hand of cattle, don't use this action. Take a coin instead, or do any other auxiliary action that you have uncovered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ribbens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may discard the card just drawn.

This means your hand cannot get worse with this action, but has a potential to improve a lot.

Additionally, it cycles through your deck quicker, which is something you might want if there are good cards in your discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowboy Georges wrote:
And worst, it can be a bad bad thing : if you only have good cards and you draw others, you will have to discard some as you can't skip the requirement !

If you only have good cards in hand, then surely it would be better to choose a different auxiliary action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point Georges mostly refers to is something like this:

d10-1 You already used a card somehow.
d10-2 3 cards in hand are limecamelgrapecamellemoncamel
d10-3 You use draw 1, then discard 1
d10-4 You draw mintcamel. You now have mintcamellimecamelgrapecamellemoncamel
d10-5 You have to discard, so you discard the lemoncamel
d10-6 At the end of your turn you refill to 4 cards and draw another mintcamel and end up with mintcamelmintcamellimecamelgrapecamel

Now you would have been better of, if you had the choice to not discard in d10-5 because you didn't go over your hand limit and keep the mintcamellimecamelgrapecamellemoncamel. But discarding is not optional. So all you can do is complain about your fate...

btw: I think I found the orient-mod for this game. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:
On every building (neutral or private) which has the "double auxiliary action", the second action does not require discarding cards. So the only "somehow" is when you have one or more objective cards in your hand, and play it out.

Anyway, your example still sees the player with a hand at the end which is at least as good as what he had at the beginning: three different cattle. And since it seems that mintcamel is better than lemoncamel (otherwise the player wouldn't have discarded the latter), the new hand is likely to be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
TermiGator wrote:
So the only "somehow" is when you have one or more objective cards in your hand, and play it out.

That is not correct. Personal building 3a allows you to discard two equal cards for $3 then move one space. Building 6a allows you to to discard one yellow card for $10 then do a double aux action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:
d10-6 At the end of your turn you refill to 4 cards and draw another mintcamel and end up with mintcamelmintcamellimecamelgrapecamel

whistle

Maybe I'm missing something. You do NOT refill to 4 cards at the end of your turn. You only do that when you get to Kansas City, step 5. During the rest of the game, you do not discard and refill your hand.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
TermiGator wrote:

whistle

Maybe I'm missing something. You do NOT refill to 4 cards at the end of your turn. You only do that when you get to Kansas City, step 5. During the rest of the game, you do not discard and refill your hand.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying.

You are incorrect. You refill to your hand limit at the end of each turn. Phase C, I believe they call it in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cowboy Georges
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:

I love your post Sebastian !

JonBen wrote:
Personal building 3a allows you to discard two equal cards for $3 then move one space. Building 6a allows you to to discard one yellow card for $10 then do a double aux action.

I don't remember which one but exactly what i did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowboy Georges wrote:
TermiGator wrote:

I love your post Sebastian !

JonBen wrote:
Personal building 3a allows you to discard two equal cards for $3 then move one space. Building 6a allows you to to discard one yellow card for $10 then do a double aux action.

I don't remember which one but exactly what i did

Wouldn't the expectation be that you would consider the sequence of the actions here before you placed the building?

I've had instances where a building I put down really didn't provide as much benefit as I'd like it to because of it's location and the chain of actions from other buildings.

EDIT: Or I placed it next to an open building space and my intended chain of actions gets disrupted when an opponent plays a building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.