BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Creating a Universe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
Hello there,
First of all, the prelude:
I have been thinking lately about games that have their lore in a whole universe, and then other games by the same creators are based in the same universe... I was designing a game with a very dark theme, but the game must be redesigned... Also, I was starting a book for NaNoWriMo in which i, as in all books, had to create the universe, and i thought that maybe i could fit my games into that universe.

The actual tread:
What do you think about games that take place in the same universe? do you like that? or do you prefer games that have no relation with others (of course expansions dont come to place here).
Some universes that i've been thinking about lately are the dystopian universe from coup, the resistance, griefters... Kingdom Death (as i read they have a lot of ideas for games in that universe); AR's The Edge's universe (with their last KS)... And the universe of my book (very dark in all ways)
At the moment I'm designing 4 games, all of them with different settings, and very different between ech other, but i would like to make another game fitting one of the other game's universe.
What do you think? Is it enjoyable to be familiar with a universe of a game while playing another game set in the same universe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the same universe can be good for the designer because you can reuse some of the artwork or at least it gives a strong guideline for the artist.

For the gamers, if the games are completely different, it doesn't really matter. I have played Lords of Xidit and Seasons and have been told that they are in the same universe but I don't see how and I couldn't care less. I own both Love Letter and Dominare and it's funny to see the princess come when playing dominare but other than that, I don't care.

Conclusion: It's more for you: if you like to build a back story, if you thinks it helps you build a coherent theme and story around your games, then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In thematic games where the universe matters a lot and interesting stories are created, then I think it is a great idea. It is a reason I think people (like me) gets into playing historical game about some specific time-period as well. If it ties in to some movie or novel or something that I am familiar with it of course makes the universe work even better with a thematic game.

In more abstract games like most euros not sure if it matters. I don't really care if a new Resistance variant has a similar theme or not, they could set it in any universe and I would probably enjoy it just as much. Just some images and names pasted on something abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
wow i hadnt thought about that fact, games must be thematic so you can actually "feel" the universe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that it can be a nice idea. Usually I like when I find some "easter eggs" in a game or I recognize some characters from a different game (especially in video games). Also, as Billy said, it really helps with art and illustrations.

But you should not push it. If the game rules/mechanics do not fit your universe don't change them (let's change this gunner with a "stone age rock thrower"). In particular if they are more immediate/clear in another setting, use that setting

In any case, if you are creating a game like Ticket to Ride but with Beholders instead of trains I'll buy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best example of this I can think of is the Level 7 games, which all tie together to tell a story.

Level 7 [Escape] - Secret experiments go wrong in underground base, need to escape to let the outside world know. This is a coop survival/horror where escape and survival are most important.
Level 7 [Omega Protocol] - Trained Special Ops team sent to attack underground base. This is a 1 vs Many Dungeon Crawl, giving players much more ability to fight back so they can uncover the mystery of the place.
Level 7 [Invasion] - Aliens invade Earth, and the nations of the world team up with the bad guy from the Omega Protocol to fight the new threat. This is a dudes-on-a-map semi-coop, fighting and stalling for the mad scientist to research a Hail Mary salvation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
ChaosGate wrote:
I think that it can be a nice idea. Usually I like when I find some "easter eggs" in a game or I recognize some characters from a different game (especially in video games). Also, as Billy said, it really helps with art and illustrations.

But you should not push it. If the game rules/mechanics do not fit your universe don't change them (let's change this gunner with a "stone age rock thrower"). In particular if they are more immediate/clear in another setting, use that setting

In any case, if you are creating a game like Ticket to Ride but with Beholders instead of trains I'll buy it!

i'm not planning to change any of them, changing their theme would totally ruin them...
And easter eggs are always fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
crinaya wrote:
Best example of this I can think of is the Level 7 games, which all tie together to tell a story.

Level 7 [Escape] - Secret experiments go wrong in underground base, need to escape to let the outside world know. This is a coop survival/horror where escape and survival are most important.
Level 7 [Omega Protocol] - Trained Special Ops team sent to attack underground base. This is a 1 vs Many Dungeon Crawl, giving players much more ability to fight back so they can uncover the mystery of the place.
Level 7 [Invasion] - Aliens invade Earth, and the nations of the world team up with the bad guy from the Omega Protocol to fight the new threat. This is a dudes-on-a-map semi-coop, fighting and stalling for the mad scientist to research a Hail Mary salvation.

omg how could i forgot them, i own them hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Creating a Universe/Galaxy/etc.
Yes, some of us HAVE theirs 'kind' even!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.