BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: Smash up Fan Fiction help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirt Gartner
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi everyone I am considering writing a Fan Fiction based on the game Smash up I intend to write it from the point of view of the Minion card characters that being said I am not limiting the factions in this story just to 8 (IE a standard 4 player game) I wish to bring in as many factions as i can this would basically set up what i believe would equate to a 21 player game

there are only two sets I will not feature one is the upcoming "What Have we done" set and the "Obligatory Cthulhu" Set This is because WHWD is not out yet and not enough info is available on the factions and I dont know enough about the HP Lovecraft stuff to properly write for the Cthulhu set I dont want a bunch of fellow nerds telling me Oh you got this wrong or that wrong on top of that I dont like the HP Lovecraft stuff anyway

I 6 factions paired up at the moment

Robots+Zombies
Ignobles+Fairies
Aliens+Plants

the other factions left to pair are
Dionsaurs
Ninjas
Pirates
Tricksters
Wizards
Bear Cavalry
Ghosts
Steampunks
Cyborg Apes
Shapeshifters
Super Spies
Time Travelers
Geeks
Giant Ants
Mad Scientists
Vampires
Werewolves
Kitty Cats
Mythic Horses
Princesses
Clerics
Dwarves
Elves
Halflings
Mages
Orcs
Thieves
Warriors
Dragons
Mythic Greeks
Sharks
Super Heroes
Tornadoes
Astro Knights
Changerbots
and Star Roamers

I have considered maybe Pairing Star Roamers with Geeks for the Ultimate Star Trek shout out (Because Wil Wheaton AKA Westley Crusher from Star Trek the Next Generation is part of the Geek faction and Star Roamers is obviously a Spoof of Star Trek so yea...) but then again that seems a bit to obvious

What it boils down to in the end is I need help pairing the factions up so they make sense (IE both factions have a good reason why they are suddenly teaming up with each other) and would be a very solid combo to play for a real game

Thanks for the help

Kirt "TheDefiantPirate" Gartner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the idea of wanting to do Smash Up fanfic interesting but that is a huge undertaking to include so many factions isn't it? Seems like it would be easier to start off with some central "hero" factions that make up a lot of the story and then build out from there if you find that you enjoy it and there is an audience for it.

As your story develops, it will tell you what other factions need introduced and who they might work with. The idea of an alliance breaking and new combos arising is an interesting one. Perhaps the Robots have a falling out with the Zombies and find that the Steampunks can help them further their goals.

The biggest challenge of all might be in creating a world that is believable to the reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirt Gartner
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
thanks for the suggestion and i think yea a rework of my idea is in order because what i was thinking was just simply 1 chapter devoted to each pair then the end of it would be the reader is left to decide who the overall winner is however much more could be done after what you have pointed out to me so yea but still talking about which factions would be good to write as a pair would still be helpful even if the pair wont be seen until much later LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.