Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: smjj [+] [View All]
Andrea Sbragia
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Smjj

I report this user abusing bgg and mining the community with a viral spread of 1 ratings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bot. Definitely bot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire this over to:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/821150/naughty-list

They'll nuke it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

wrote:
Attempts to manipulate ratings through the use of multiple accounts is prohibited.

Otherwise, ANY person is absolutely allowed to give ANY game ANY rating for ANY reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are doing this by hand, I am kind of impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sbragia
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

wrote:
Attempts to manipulate ratings through the use of multiple accounts is prohibited.

Otherwise, ANY person is absolutely allowed to give ANY game ANY rating for ANY reason.

Yes, that's why i am taking about abusing a right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
How is it abuse and why does it matter?

PS accusations of trolling are actually against site rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Report it to the admins. They should be able to tell if the "1" ratings appeared at an inhumanly fast pace and take the appropriate action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sbragia
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
How is it abuse and why does it matter?

PS accusations of trolling are actually against site rules...

if a memeber has the right to have an opinion, so giving ANY ratings to ANY game, it is true that this principle is based on a perception of that member on what he/she thinks about a game; a product, and this is fair and i like it.

However if a member rates "1" in an average of 3 hours or so.... something like 2000 games i should be prone to think that this member is just trying to lower the ratings of some other products without a real perception of that product; so that member is abusing a letimate right given by the admins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adraeth Montecuccoli wrote:
I report this user abusing bgg and mining the community with a viral spread of 1 ratings

So, it is almost a week since the previous ratings thread..

Anyone can rate any game with any value they like decided by any method they like as long as they do that with a single account only.

End of story.

(Accusing a user of being a troll is also forbidden by the user agreement and is subject to suspension.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sbragia
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed i am asking not accusing, if this user is a bot or is a troll, i even reported it to Admins, for, again i think that a code of conduct should be used, but not abused.

I just do not know if we have a bot rating or we have a member who just dislike quite everything on BGG rating "1" the 90% of the games, so, i might argue he/she dislikes boardgames .... so what is the matter to be a member of a boardgame community after all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adraeth Montecuccoli wrote:

I just do not know if we have a bot rating or we have a member who just dislike quite everything on BGG rating "1" the 90% of the games, so, i might argue he/she dislikes boardgames .... so what is the matter to be a member of a boardgame community after all?

Given that there are at least a couple of thousand games in here you won't catch me dead playing I don't see the issue here. I just can't be bothered to rate them, but to me they're also "1"''s

But this guy decided to go through the trouble and mark them with the suggested rating for "won't catch me dead playing" - which is "1" - to make it easy for him to see which games he already checked out and dismissed as garbage and which games he didn't. That is perfectly legit. Even if he used a script to mark them as such based on a personal database/file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sbragia
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eddy this might make sense; it is a reason, which i may disagree about but it should be a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My prototype got hit by him/her yesterday, as well as the prototype listings of several other game designers that I know. It hurts when you have only two ratings as the "1" has a huge impact on us. I guess the only positive is that if he/she is hitting everyone then it all evens out, and ultimately as games get more ratings, this hit will be minimized. Additionally, if we continue to publicly name this person, more will be aware of his/her behavior.

Just a huge bummer that people in this community are being negatively impacted by this person. We should be supporting each other, not bringing each other down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motljus wrote:
https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Smjj

Obvious bot with only directive to skew the BGG rating system in favour of his own top 104 games, by giving these "10":s and 6665(!) other top ranked games "1":s.

to quote a recent (11/26) Geekmail from Octavian

Quote:
Thanks for pointing this out. In this case it is best to simply ignore them. We do not police how people use our ratings system. Anyone can give any game any rating for any reason. We rely on our ranking algorithm to detect and discount insincere ratings. A handful of insincere or otherwise atypical ratings will have no practical impact on a game's ranking in the database
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Smjj has 5 games with the status 'Want To Play' that they also rate as "1."

This smacks of masochism surely ("this game is so bad, I don't consider it a game. But curiously, I still want to play it.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
Smjj has 5 games with the status 'Want To Play' that they also rate as "1."

This smacks of masochism surely ("this game is so bad, I don't consider it a game. But curiously, I still want to play it.")

I can think of some games that are so bad I wouldn't really consider them games, but I might still want to play them. A lottery that skews heavily toward my win? Several hypothetical activities I won't detail that involve nudity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are reaching out to Smjj and we will base our next step on his response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.