$20.00
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/art-sisneros-elector-r...

Well at least this guy isn't a hypocrite, unlike the millions of other religious people who voted for Trump instead of leaving the ballot blank as they should have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Did you read why he refused? It's nutty!

Art Sisneros wrote:
"I do not see how Donald Trump is biblically qualified to serve in the office of the Presidency. ... I believe voting for Trump would bring dishonor to God."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Texas, when we're not doing the wrong things for the wrong reasons, we do the right thing for the wrong reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

Art Sisneros wrote:
"I do not see how Donald Trump is biblically qualified to serve in the office of the Presidency. ... I believe voting for Trump would bring dishonor to God."

Nutty, or just poorly articulated? Perhaps the elector simply meant he felt Trump to be morally inappropriate for the office based on some standard that he derives from scripture. You might disagree with his reading of scripture or that scripture should apply at all but, it doesn't necessarily make him "nutty".

We see a lot from both sides about how poorly qualified people are to cast a vote at the ballot box but, what standards, if any, are set for the electoral college?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
spoon wrote:

Art Sisneros wrote:

Nutty, or just poorly articulated? Perhaps the elector simply meant he felt Trump to be morally inappropriate for the office based on some standard that he derives from scripture. You might disagree with his reading of scripture or that scripture should apply at all but, it doesn't necessarily make him "nutty".

We see a lot from both sides about how poorly qualified people are to cast a vote at the ballot box but, what standards, if any, are set for the electoral college?

I'm not willing to give that the benefit of doubt. I think he meant biblically.

And yes, I think it is nutty for someone to suggest their are "biblical" standards for a president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious about a few things:

1.) What are the consequences of not voting in the EC for the presidential candidate that won the state?

2.) If the designated elector is disqualified from participating in the EC vote, is that person then replaced by someone chosen by the state party representative, who then WILL cast their EC vote for the winner of the state?

3.) If this particular EC member chooses not to vote for the state winner, and is not replaced, will it matter to the over 270 votes needed to win the Presidency?

I am sure that each state is different based on their own state laws, so I am wondering how the Texas GOP or the Texas SoS will treat this "defection" (I am not sure what else to call it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly."

~Some Guy from Nazareth

"I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer and seem fouler." Frodo

hillary tried so hard to appear to have her ducks in a row, but had that stench of covered up corruption. Trump has his blowhard ways, imperfect, but was on point with what is necessary for our time.

Trump is the godly choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

Art Sisneros wrote:

Why is it nutty? If he had said that his conscience dictated that he couldn't vote for Trump, would that have been nutty? That is, in essence, all he is saying. He is pointing to a moral code he adheres to, one that is tangible and can be pointed to, he feels Trump doesn't qualify by those standards, and he is excusing himself from a process that would cause him to violate his conscience. He is not saying that he feels his religious faith should be the standard by which every politician should be considered. If he had said that, I would be with you about the nuttiness. All he said is that he doesn't see how Trump adheres to his own personal moral code and that he cannot in good conscience vote for him. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

Art Sisneros wrote:

It's called principles.

Probably the same reason he quit instead of voting for Clinton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

~Some Guy from Nazareth

hillary tried so hard to appear to have her ducks in a row, but had that stench of covered up corruption. Trump has his blowhard ways, imperfect, but was on point with what is necessary for our time.

Maybe if that god were Loki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
spoon wrote:

Art Sisneros wrote:

Why is it nutty? If he had said that his conscience dictated that he couldn't vote for Trump, would that have been nutty? That is, in essence, all he is saying. He is pointing to a moral code he adheres to, one that is tangible and can be pointed to, he feels Trump doesn't qualify by those standards, and he is excusing himself from a process that would cause him to violate his conscience. He is not saying that he feels his religious faith should be the standard by which every politician should be considered. If he had said that, I would be with you about the nuttiness. All he said is that he doesn't see how Trump adheres to his own personal moral code and that he cannot in good conscience vote for him. That's it.

I read it more like he said it: Trump isn't biblically qualified. Its nutty because there aren't any biblical qualifications for being president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

I read it more like he said it: Trump isn't biblically qualified. Its nutty because there aren't any biblical qualifications for being president.

I hear you but many Christians interpret their Bible as having moral standards for any sort of leader. You can disagree but the idea it's "nutty" is just a bit too much and to me strikes of anti-religious bigotry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

~Some Guy from Nazareth
Actions are not merely appearances.
Quote:

He is as foul in every way as they come.
Quote:
hillary tried so hard to appear to have her ducks in a row, but had that stench of covered up corruption.
Who cares anymore?
Quote:
Trump has his blowhard ways, imperfect, but was on point with what is necessary for our time.

He is the personal embodiment of everything the beliefs you claim to have denounce.

Quote:

No. At least not if it's the G-d who forbid lying, theft, and sexual depravity while also saying "Love your fellow as yourself." Trump doesn't live by the Golden Rule; he lives by the Rules of Acquisition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

I'm not concerned about your judgments Moshe, except for one judgment:

'Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.' Acts 13:46

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

'Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.' Acts 13:46

If you're entire problem with me boils down to the fact I'm a Jew, as your quotations clearly show, what does that make you?

You hold up as godly one who is reprehensible, and because I tell you so even according to the beliefs you claim, you spout antisemitism. I have done you no wrong except to speak a truth you don't like. For that you quote at me things you clearly intend as curses. Well, your Bible also says of my people that G-d will curse those who curse us and that G-d's Name is upon us.

So, either this is internet nonsense which will amount to absolutely nothing or your G-d according to your beliefs has said He will curse you. Which do you think it is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

If you're entire problem with me boils down to the fact I'm a Jew, as your quotations clearly show, what does that make you?

You hold up as godly one who is reprehensible, and because I tell you so even according to the beliefs you claim, you spout antisemitism. I have done you no wrong except to speak a truth you don't like. For that you quote at me things you clearly intend as curses. Well, your Bible also says of my people that G-d will curse those who curse us and that G-d's Name is upon us.

So, either this is internet nonsense which will amount to absolutely nothing or your G-d according to your beliefs has said He will curse you. Which do you think it is?

You do know Paul and Barnabas were also Jews, right?

You can keep trying to play the anti-Semitism card here all day, I don't really care. In fact, I care very little what race or creed people come from: I only care about which creed they will hold to forever.

But God knows what is in people's hearts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
So what?
Quote:

You can keep trying to play the anti-Semitism card here all day,…

Then answer the criticisms and don't just say nasty stuff about me being a Jew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
For BJ.....
mb
whac3 wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
So what?
Quote:

You can keep trying to play the anti-Semitism card here all day,…

Then answer the criticisms and don't just say nasty stuff about me being a Jew.

It's not that you're Jewish that's his problem...

It's that we Jews rejected his Christ.....

Classic bullshit. I can't stand the Christian 'defenders' of Judaism out there who want to 'protect' Israel in the hopes that eventually all Jews will convert to Christianity and then your little Ragnarok *ahem* Armegeddon Eschatology can finally come to fruition....

Yep. Gotta save the Jews so we can convert them. And what happens if they don't convert??

The Spanish Inquisition!!

What a show.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
spoon wrote:

Art Sisneros wrote:

What seems strange to me is not his religious conscience, but the fact that he would allow himself to be an elector in the first place. I'm sure he knew that a job requirement there is to place his vote for the candidate that won the state. Who did he think was going to win Texas ?? Ideally, he should have resigned as an elector when Trump received the nomination of the party as the official party candidate that would be on the ballot, not when it comes time to fulfill your job requirement and do what you've been appointed to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

So you're saying Hillary turned you on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

Judging by the rest of the book, this is pretty much the only time that turned out to be a sensible thing for Frodo to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

Judging by the rest of the book, this is pretty much the only time that turned out to be a sensible thing for Frodo to say.

I think Frodo was speaking in the specific circumstances and not making a general rule. He was making a guess whether he could trust Strider on limited information. So I don't see that as in any way a problem for the plausibility or consistency of the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
sfox wrote:
Well at least this guy isn't a hypocrite, unlike the millions of other religious people who voted for Trump instead of leaving the ballot blank as they should have done.

Christian-hater instructs Christians on how to be Christian.

Always hilarious.

Ahh... typical Drew, criticizing someone else for doing something that he does all the time. Also 'hate' is a strong word. I don't hate Christians any more than I hate teenagers who still believe in Santa Claus. I just think them foolish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a lot of questions about the faith and morality of anyone who voted for Trump (and I think it's fair to ask the same of Clinton voters, and I certainly have my reasons, mainly that 99% of the knocks on her are only allegations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

Oh . . . I, uh . . . wouldn't go that far.

Something we finally agree upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.