Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo RPG... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Santos
msg tools
Hi, I am fairly new to the board game world. About a year ago I invested in PACG. Got a lot of fun from that. I am looking to start a good solo RPG board game. I am looking at the D&D board games. I am wondering if these are a good place to start or would I be better to skip these and grab something else. I do like the idea of miniatures and I am a visual person, I am drawn to all those game pieces and miniatures!!! Lol. I am open to any suggestions. Although I do prefer classic rpg characters as opposed to space themes etc.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Dziewonski
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
wannabe designer, arduous gamer, aspiring creator
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the world of board games!

I am pretty sure a lot of people here would agree that Mage Knight is a good option. There seems to be quite a big influx of new RPG-y games that support team play (a certain recent KS campaign comes to mind), so that should usually translate into solo play options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
santos314 wrote:
Hi, I am fairly new to the board game world. About a year ago I invested in PACG. Got a lot of fun from that. I am looking to start a good solo RPG board game. I am looking at the D&D board games. I am wondering if these are a good place to start or would I be better to skip these and grab something else. I do like the idea of miniatures and I am a visual person, I am drawn to all those game pieces and miniatures!!! Lol. I am open to any suggestions. Although I do prefer classic rpg characters as opposed to space themes etc.
Thanks!

Hi Mike, first off let me point you to the 1 Player guild where you will find a nice community of solo gamers.

The number one recommended solo fantasy game is always Mage Knight Board Game, but it is like a puzzle game - low luck and no dice. Very few minis.

Here's a thread discussing the 3 D&D board games:
Dungeons & Dragons board games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt)

If you're interested in more dice rolling and gobs of minis, there's:
- Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) which uses a phone/tablet app to be the dungeon master.
- Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients and Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death but be aware you have to assemble the minis
- Sword & Sorcery which isn't quite shipping yet
- Anything from CMON tends to have lots of minis: Zombicide: Black Plague is popular
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Come look at the monthly SROYT lists: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/216420/solo-rpgs-your-tab...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Santos
msg tools
Awesome!!!!! Thank you all for the quick responses! I am heading to that "solo" link right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider that D&D 4th edition (the actual RPG), makes a fine coop skirmish game and can be found for cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing Mansions of Madness: Second Edition solo and it works amazingly well as a solitare RPG experience. I normally shy away from board games that require digital apps, but this one won me over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could print out one yourself (called PnP):

Barbarian Prince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
SROYT led me to discover some solo RPGs I really liked! In particular, the Fabled Lands Gamebooks have been quite fun for me. It's an open world solo rpg / gamebook.

You can try them out for free on the computer here: http://flapp.sourceforge.net/

The above link was officially sanctioned by the creators of the game, which is also awesome! If you decide you like it, each book covers an area of the world and is available on amazon for 8-9 bucks each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.