BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best website to play Board Games online? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

What are the best website to play board games online? I found a few, im wondering if there is others. Maybe there is popular games also available on only smaller site too?

The one I found:

Boardgamearena
brettspielwelt
Yucata
boiteAjeux

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak for Board Game Arena, which I think works quite well for...some games.
I haven't been on in a while, but I feel like it is best suited for the type of game that has quick turns. There's a timer that runs when it's your turn and if you take too long to make a move, the other players have the option to boot you from the game - this is a necessary function in case somebody's connection drops out and people want to keep playing.
However, for more involved games, this can add a layer of pressure to making the proper decisions in the time allotted and that CAN lead to gameplay mistakes. My experiences with both Seasons and Race for the Galaxy were that I was taking longer to make decisions than the people I was playing with...and they didn't like it.
I definitely enjoy the way the system is set up to enforce rules so that you can't accidentally do something that you shouldn't be able to in the game. Sometimes there are bugs, but I think they do a good job of catching those once reported. It's annoying that there's not an undo feature, so you occasionally click on the wrong thing and it messes up your plans or costs you a game, but an undo feature is not possible given the realtime nature of the website.
Presentation is usually good for most of the games and it's generally user friendly.
All in all, I like it. I've used it as a sort of hands-on tutorial to learn some games and then applied that experience to playing the physical version later on, so it works for that application as well.

Tabletopia is another one I'm keeping an eye on. I think it has potential as a platform for digital gaming, but it's still in development so it's anyone's guess how refined it will end up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I find for ease of use of the website, yucata is by far the best. OTOH it depends whether the games you want to play are available at a particular site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any geek list of for example top 200 board games available on site X, Y, Z ?

I tried to find a list of all done game on tabletop simulator but couldnt find any relevent list in my fast research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me yucata, BGA & boiteajeux are all about equal as far as ease-of-use. Which one I use depends on which game I want to play.

I used BSW in the past, but don't anymore.

BGA does real-time or turn-based/asynch and allows you to set the turn timer. boiteajeux and yucata are turn-based only. boiteajeux gives you timing options. yucata doesn't so if someone wants to take 3 weeks to make a move there's nothing you can do about it.

What's nice about all three is that they make their virtual gameboards look like the real ones plus they do all the tracking for you. Much better than some apps whose developers decided to completely re-do the look of the game thus making it harder to figure out what's going on. None of those attempts has been better than the original. In some cases, e.g. Coal Baron, it's been a complete disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a wiki page that has a bunch of info on ways to play boardgames online:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games

I mostly play on Yucata.de these days; lots of opponents, and the site supports asynchronous play of games I like.

I think in general, a good approach is to find a game that you like and then go to the game's BGG page to see if you can find out whether there are sites where you can play it online. Often, the Community Wiki section of a game's BGG page will have info on sites where that game is implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
generalpotato wrote:
Is there any geek list of for example top 200 board games available on site X, Y, Z ?

I tried to find a list of all done game on tabletop simulator but couldnt find any relevent list in my fast research.

There is something. I'll try to find it.

Edit: ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Here's a wiki page that has a bunch of info on ways to play boardgames online:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games

I mostly play on Yucata.de these days; lots of opponents, and the site supports asynchronous play of games I like.

I think in general, a good approach is to find a game that you like and then go to the game's BGG page to see if you can find out whether there are sites where you can play it online. Often, the Community Wiki section of a game's BGG page will have info on sites where that game is implemented.

thanks for link!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really for the most part, which site has the games you want to play?

I've played a few times on BGG, but prefer Yucatta.

I like the turn based environment on Yucatta. Even though you can play turn based on BGA, it still has the feel of real time atmosphere. And when playing real-time, it isn't uncommon to get into a game with at least one player who has no patience for you to think out your best move. I'd rather play a game where everyone is thinking about thier best play instead of which move you can click the fastest. Plus, since it is geared for real time, some of the games don't play well on a tablet. When shipping to adjust size or move around, it's easy to accidentally select a move. And then you are left with subpar play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Blue Max and Cartagena habitually at www.youplay.it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T 7

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mb
I play mainly on boardgamearena.com and http://boiteajeux.net. I've dabbled a little bit on Yucata.de, which seems to be very similar.

Just to clarify, BGA has turn-based gameplay and it works very well. I usually have about 40 games running and I check in at least once a day to make my moves. BGA is very slick and has a great community.

I look for or start games that require one turn a day. Otherwise, the games can drag on for months if someone doesn't log in for a while.

I've also played a fair amount of Tabletop Simulator, which is a completely different experience. It has almost every game ever made for free, but you are playing live without rules enforcement. I like the other websites better because I can just check in for a minute periodically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.