Subject: This sounds great! Can it come with "Extra Treasures"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
It'd be great to have that long out of print "free" expansion, Extra Treasures, available too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
space monkey mafia wrote:
It'd be great to have that long out of print "free" expansion, Extra Treasures, available too...

Does it come with any other cards? From the images, I don't think it does. It seems to just be wood tiles. As such, adding cards would add a decent bit of extra complexity to the project. Gotta specify and QC card thickness, core, print quality, make sure they match the rest of the treasures, etc. If it was already a deck of cards and they were just adding three more, it'd be a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
jepmn wrote:

Does it come with any other cards? From the images, I don't think it does. It seems to just be wood tiles. As such, adding cards would add a decent bit of extra complexity to the project. Gotta specify and QC card thickness, core, print quality, make sure they match the rest of the treasures, etc. If it was already a deck of cards and they were just adding three more, it'd be a lot easier.

100% agree but still worth considering if it is early enough in the production cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Castrop
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed!! I've been playing Jamaica a lot lately on game night. I would love to add the Extra treasures to the mix. They don't seem to be available anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know that there are Jamaica Extra-treasures to print? Getting them on a linen textured paper makes them fairy close to the originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
slprince wrote:
Do you know that there are Jamaica Extra-treasures to print? Getting them on a linen textured paper makes them fairy close to the originals.

I don't think "fairly close" would be anywhere near close enough, given how much scrutiny is on the treasure cards. You'd have to reprint the whole deck or sleeve them (in which case you don't even need to get that close).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
phildinius wrote:
It was never an expansion. It was a promo which I believe I asked the publisher about several years ago and they said it was just a promo that was printed to be given out at Essen maybe ... 6+ years ago now? I mean, it'd be great if they reprinted them and included them in a different game, it'd be great if they included a whole copy of Jamaica with this game, too. *shrugs*

thumbsdown

Quibbling over the diference between "free expansion" and "promo"?!

And 3 cards plus a rules sheet is in no way equivalent to a full copy of the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
stlm wrote:
phildinius wrote:
It was never an expansion. It was a promo which I believe I asked the publisher about several years ago and they said it was just a promo that was printed to be given out at Essen maybe ... 6+ years ago now? I mean, it'd be great if they reprinted them and included them in a different game, it'd be great if they included a whole copy of Jamaica with this game, too. *shrugs*

thumbsdown

Quibbling over the diference between "free expansion" and "promo"?!

And 3 cards plus a rules sheet is in no way equivalent to a full copy of the base game.

Probably no surprise here but, I agree!

phildinius, at no point did cost come into the request. I would assume that if the publisher added content, the price of the product would go up as well. I mentioned "free" only to refer to the fact that the "expansion" (which is what it is a listed as on this site, promo or not) was initially a give-a-way.

If you don't want it, that's totally fine. I brought this up because the cards are hard to find or expensive in the secondary market. Releasing a new expansion might be a good opportunity to revisit printing that Spiel promotion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
slprince wrote:

For this to really work, I'd want the entire set available to print so that all the cards are consistent. Otherwise I'd need to do as Jason suggested and sleeve all the cards. At this point, that is not something I'm interested in pursuing.

At the end of the day, the publisher could (and likely will) ignore this request and I'm no worse off than I was before starting the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
I don't think "fairly close" would be anywhere near close enough, given how much scrutiny is on the treasure cards.

Very well. devil I challenge you to scrutinize the cards:

3 of them are the real Extra Treasures promo cards, 3 are the DIY printed version of Extra Treasures, and the rest are part of the treasure deck from the base game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Gotcha! The 3 cards in the top row with the thinner border are not the DIY cards! Ironically, those are the real Extra Treasures promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For this to really work, I'd want the entire set available to print so that all the cards are consistent.

Yes, there are definitely some inconsistencies in the cards (mostly in texture). However, given that the draw stack only shows one card at a time, and that the Extra Treasures are placed face up once drawn, I choose to ignore it. After all, it's a light, family style game and the cards add more fun even if they don't match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
slprince wrote:
jepmn wrote:
I don't think "fairly close" would be anywhere near close enough, given how much scrutiny is on the treasure cards.

You can't be serious. You want people to try to guess based off a grainy 600x800 jpeg made in terrible lighting?

And yes, your cards have problems with that thin border. After a couple of plays with your copies, I'd know exactly which ones were the ETs.

All you've proven is that the previous ET printing was terrible.

As Christian said, the only real solution for these kinds of things is to reprint the whole deck (and not make any mistakes in so doing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
slprince wrote:
jepmn wrote:

You can't be serious. You want people to try to guess based off a grainy 600x800 jpeg made in terrible lighting?

And yes, your cards have problems with that thin border. After a couple of plays with your copies, I'd know exactly which ones were the ETs.

All you've proven is that the previous ET printing was terrible.

As Christian said, the only real solution for these kinds of things is to reprint the whole deck (and not make any mistakes in so doing).

Yikes! It sounds like you're a much more serious Jamaica player than I am (we only play for fun.) You'd better not buy The Crew expansion; it looks like there are a few of treasure cards in there too. I suspect they will not meet with your expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
slprince wrote:
Yikes! It sounds like you're a much more serious Jamaica player than I am (we only play for fun.) You'd better not buy The Crew expansion; it looks like there are a few of treasure cards in there too. I suspect they will not meet with your expectations.

It's actually quite possible to both play things for fun and be concerned about components sticking out like a sore thumb. Do you think I'm playing for the cash aware for the Jamaica World Championships or something? Perhaps you think I use real gold doubloons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Sykes

Peterborough
Cambs
msg tools
slprince wrote:
jepmn wrote:

3 of them are the real Extra Treasures promo cards, 3 are the DIY printed version of Extra Treasures, and the rest are part of the treasure deck from the base game.

Gotcha! The 3 cards in the top row with the thinner border are not the DIY cards! Ironically, those are the real Extra Treasures promos.

Are the 3 'DIY printed versions of Extra Treasures' on the top row in positions 2, 3, and 4 if we count left to right and top to bottom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a "Spoiler" you can click the empty box to reveal it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It occurs to me that I should point out that I've logged 15 games of Jamaica. This is more than I've played any other modern boardgame. It's not because I'm Super Serious about Jamaica. It's definitely not my #1 favorite game. But it is a really good game. It's one of the few games I like to play with six people. In fact, I like to play it even MORE with six people than with three or four. And it's great for people who haven't played a single board game since childhood Monopoly.

As such, inconsistent cards will be noticed, by me if no one else. So basically I have a leg up on them (even more than usual, if they're new gamers). And that's kind of a big deal when avoiding curses is such a big factor in the game. That's three cards that I know have zero downside to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
whistle

...I see some new cards added to the advanced prototype image... if they're already printing a few new cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syko42 wrote:
slprince wrote:
jepmn wrote:

Are the 3 'DIY printed versions of Extra Treasures' on the top row in positions 2, 3, and 4 if we count left to right and top to bottom?

White border is thinner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just draw them off the bottom of the deck (instead of the top). Or put them in an envelope (like the old Clue games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait for this expansion. Any other recent news?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N/A
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also chime in. If the producer is reading, I am also very interested in the 3 cards promo that is currently impossible to get. I really doubt that if printing cards already, 3 more would effect the price. Please include, would move me from interested in expansion, to "for sure buying". Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cro1 wrote:
Can't wait for this expansion. Any other recent news?

Anyone knows when the expansion will be available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I paid almost $30 for the THREE Extra Treasure Cards.

It hurt, but it's a nice little addition to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
I think I paid almost $30 for the THREE Extra Treasure Cards.

It hurt, but it's a nice little addition to the game.

Its ridiculous, 10$ per card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.