$30.00
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read much this year, so I have little to offer. I did enjoy Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life & Others (which the movie Arrival was based off of). So, let's keep it simple.

One Chit-chatter, one book! Go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying Alan Moore's Jerusalem. Yes, that's the Alan Moore from Watchmen, V for Vendetta, etc. He's written a multi-generation epic about his home town of Northampton, England, which you will learn much more about than you want to. Each chapter is a day in the life of a variety of interconnected characters. The way the stories intertwine is fascinating and he works in ideas about time as the fourth dimension, determinism, music, art and redemption into working class English lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Does it have to be a book published in 2016?

I say nope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
I dunno. What do you see there?
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed Simon Barnes' Ten Million Aliens. All about animal life on the planet. Puts humans in their places. Very fascinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Germany
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One book only? So many I loved this year, but if I had to pick one, it would be the one that most impacted me, not entertained me:

Lady in Gold : The Extraordinary Tale of Gustav Klimt's Masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer by Anne-Marie O'Connor.
The more I find out about WWII and its varied details, and specifically what different countries and societies did to the Jews, the more I realize how little I and we all really know and how important it is to find out and proclaim it and never forget what human beings are capable of doing to each other.

Honorable mention would go to another non-fiction book my daughter read first and recommended:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.
I always wondered about all the blood draws they do on patients who are in the hospital. What do they do with it and the results? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.