3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Kickstarter VS. Brexit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm going to create a kickstarter in the next few months but the Brexit effect is concerning.
One recent kickstarter is giving refunds because it was funded before Brexit but the costs are being incurred afterwards so you can see why he loses less money just giving refunds. (No, out of respect I am not identifying him).

On to my questions;

What do people think should be done regarding currency fluctuations given that NONE of the big 3 (Dollar, Euro, Yuan) are looking stable and I'm likely to be funded in sterling?

Putting a 10% contingency (above and beyond the normal contingency) in seems destructive to the campaign and also possibly not enough.

Not sure if Kickstarter can fund me in Euros (I'd hope so) but if it can, should I do that?

I'd appreciate some rational thoughts on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispinTheGoblinKing wrote:
I'm going to create a kickstarter in the next few months but the Brexit effect is concerning.
One recent kickstarter is giving refunds because it was funded before Brexit but the costs are being incurred afterwards so you can see why he loses less money just giving refunds. (No, out of respect I am not identifying him).

On to my questions;

What do people think should be done regarding currency fluctuations given that NONE of the big 3 (Dollar, Euro, Yuan) are looking stable and I'm likely to be funded in sterling?

Putting a 10% contingency (above and beyond the normal contingency) in seems destructive to the campaign and also possibly not enough.

Not sure if Kickstarter can fund me in Euros (I'd hope so) but if it can, should I do that?

I'd appreciate some rational thoughts on the matter.

Get the game as close to ready as you can so that you can push "go" on production as soon as the money lands in your account -- this will at least protect you from long-term changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some banks offer insurance against currency risks for international transactions. Awaken Realms mentioned during their KS campaign for This War of Mine: The Board Game that they got this sort of coverage in anticipation of the Brexit vote, and I guess they're pretty happy that they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.