Subject: What is your worst game-store experience? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a pretty bad one tonight. Something along the lines of bad management and bad crowd. Enough said. Now what is yours? you don't have to name names but I think that my luck is just about the worst ever. Prove me wrong. soblue

I think my luck has run out so I'll stick to gaming with close friends and family.

Edit: Ahh... Yes the story... At the time I was not in the mood to tell this story because I felt so cheated and bewildered. Sorry. Here it is though!

First things first, never trust a crappy HTML website that uses Google calendar and probably never updates. On that note, I recently called a store Owner about learning to play X-Wing. Keep in mind that it may not have been the most clear call and I assume the guy was eager to get off the phone. When arrived at the store I walked in and to my dismay, no one was playing X-Wing. I quickly learned that I should have listened to the owners response in the phone call instead of arriving an hour early. So away I went. I killed an hour of time and came back to the store, at which point I was calm about the whole thing.

When I walked in, something wasn't right. Two people in the back were chatting over what looked like an X-Wing map with some TIE fighters on it. Okay, maybe there wasn't a huge crowd that night... So I walked up to the unoccupied counter (seems to be every bad game stores problem). I waited at the counter, eyeing some TCG boosters. After about five minutes a large grizzly man who I knew to be the man I had called walked up to me. In the least intimidated voice I asked, "Hi! -Insert Filler Conversation Here- Do you think you could teach me how to play X-Wing?"
The Owner, who looked half asleep, told me I could go ask the guys playing. After all, what potential customer could break up his game of D&D?

At this point I was already a little infuriated. I went over and asked the guys about the game. They said I needed more than my Core Set to play and acted like I was totally unable to play the game. Maybe I was but they didn't have to demonstrate my monetary inadequacy by yelling over to the owner that I only had a Core Set! So I walked out, had a guy vaping in my face tell me to slow down, and tripped.

There I was, face down on the curb with a group of three college-age kids laughing at me.

Btw was that good enough? cry
Haha really though I can laugh about it now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
I had a pretty bad one tonight. Something along the lines of bad management and bad crowd. Enough said.

That doesn't sound very bad at all. Unless of course you're leaving out all of the details...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fortunate to have two VFLGS VERy friendly stores in my area. The Games Keep in West Chester (I will name names!) is tops. Great store, awesome owner, good prices to where I buy there, not online.. and I could gush more...

But I listen to a somewhat local podcast that was touting a nearby store so I stopped in when I was nearby to check it out.

Paltry selection, the staff was playing phone games while a magic event occupied a few tables... and never once did ANYONE say so much as hello, let alone a friendly greeting...

At least the other FLGS near me, when we are gaming, the worker always acknowledges customers with a greeting, so I know it can be done, and done well.

Keep trying, there are good ones out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
I had a pretty bad one tonight. Something along the lines of bad management and bad crowd. Enough said.

That doesn't sound very bad at all. Unless of course you're leaving out all of the details...

Yup...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I've been to magic dens, unhelpful stores, the works. I think the most frustrating though is the local store nearby now, so poorly managed that they don't buy the product we specifically ask them to get in(or do so in paltry quantities weeks later) while stocking rando stuff no one plays(which sits on the shelves) There's also about zero support for any league/tourney/club play for any game that isn't Magic. The one other solidly organized league was organized by someone not related to the store who happened to bring it(and a ton of business) to the store.

Oh and I'll give a ++ to The Games Keep LCC for being awesome too. I make it down there a few times a year when visiting family and always buy something because that is the finest gaming store I have ever experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
I think that my luck is just about the worst ever. Prove me wrong soblue

So how will we know, unless you share your bad experience with us too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
so a few years ago, i had just stumbled my way into the hobby and found that there was a whole store dedicated to board games right next to my work. i was so excited to check this place out, and went there to buy my just my 2nd board game (in as many weeks) since i was in maybe 16 (a good 16 years ago).

When i get there, the place was really clean, i was in awe of how many games there were for sale in this store. After a few minutes, the owner said high and asked if i was there to buy some game & i said i just found board games again & had no idea what i wanted. i got to listen to about 30 minutes of "well Tom Vasel likes this & Tom Vasel said that" after i told him i had no idea who this Tom guy was. Every time i asked about a game, the reply started with "well tom vasel...". i wanted to smack the hell out of the guy.

I ended up buying a game & come to find out later he sold it to me for $20 OVER MSRP. I bought a handful of games over the month. When i found out, i asked why he charged me over MSRP for it and his reply was "most new releases are marked up because they can only get so many of them to sell, supply & demand".

I walked out that day without buying anything else & haven't gone anywhere near that place since. i feel like i got ripped off and taken advantage of. So he got a few dollars off me in the short run and lost a crap ton in sales from me long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
flag msg tools
My only bad experiences involved other customers. Once I was in my local game store and this guy was being really weird and awkward. Standing in the same aisle, slowly edging closer pretending to look at games. When he finally got close enough to talk he asked if I liked games then told me about his game group that meets there. I really didn't want anything to do with him. What a weird way to engage someone.

The other one was similar, I was in a GameStop with my brother when he said something to me about a Zelda game. Some dude at the other end of the store heard my brother say "Zelda" to, stopped what he was doing, walked across the store and started to talk to my brother about his favorite Zelda games for 20 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikey Boy wrote:
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:

I agree. I actually think it's borderline rude to start a thread asking for people to share their stories and you start by not sharing your own. Scratch that. It's not borderline rude; it IS rude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I showed up, and they were no longer in business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll never forget the store owner who blatently cheated in order to win his game store's X-Wing Minis Store Championship and then wondered why the X-Wing scene died at his shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cwhitpan wrote:
I am fortunate to have two VFLGS VERy friendly stores in my area. The Games Keep in West Chester (I will name names!) is tops. Great store, awesome owner, good prices to where I buy there, not online.. and I could gush more...

I live in Southern Ontario but have visited "The Games Keep" in my travels (very intentionally). It is one of the best FLGS I have been in

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this screwy thread has run it's course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sallen
United States
Boone
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to give more life here:

I want to preface this by saying I don't have OCD nor am I any sort of germaphobe.

About an hour into one of my first sessions in a game store (I'll keep it anonymous) when I noticed an odor coming from the pieces in the game I was playing. I initially thought it to be due to the age of the game or that it was accidentally soaked in a stale beer (or a component issue like the lovely Stone Age dice cup). Later on, I noticed the smell coming from my fingers. While I considered it could have been from the game I decided to investigate. To my horror, it originated from the table itself. Bound and determined, I smelled other tables in the store with each reeking of the same fetid bouquet. After a night of constantly revisiting the stench on my fingers, I resolved to remedy it on a future game night.

Returning triumphantly on a later night with a canister of disinfecting wipes, I proceeded to sterilize the surface upon which I planned to strew my own dear pieces. To my absolute horror, the offending substance on the table reacted with the disinfecting formula of the wipes. The resulting element was no doubt a new discovery to be added to the periodic table with the following properties: remarkable adhesion and a cloying stench.

The window of the store needs one of those neon signs from Jimmy Johns advertising "Free smells".

And don't even get me started on the bathroom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to have a smaller game store that has since closed, but we rarely ever went to it. The shop was incredibly small, so browsing wasn't particularly enjoyable. Everything was jam packed in, and in piles.

But the thing that really bothered me was the staff. I never had any idea who was working there. The tiny place was dominated by a futon couch and long fold out plastic table that filled the center of the room directly in front of the counter, leaving just enough room to check out and scoot past. Across from the table was a TV and some nintendo consoles- which the staff and their buddies were always playing. The few times we went in, most of the time we weren't even acknowledged by whoever was working. It made asking questions impossible, since you didn't know who to ask, and of course you always feel awkward interrupting!

I'm sad we have fewer game shops now that they've closed, but in a way it serves them right. Can't expect your business to do well if you aren't going to run it properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Mikey Boy wrote:
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:

I agree. I actually think it's borderline rude to start a thread asking for people to share their stories and you start by not sharing your own. Scratch that. It's not borderline rude; it IS rude.

Whoa, what's your problem? He obviously recently had a bad experience and just because he didn't lay down every detail doesn't mean he's rude. He simply started a discussion.

My worst experience is nothing fancy, just a local 40k store that ignored me completely. I honestly had no idea if any of the 20 or some people in there worked there or just were playing the miniatures game. I felt completely out of place and never once went there again. They only had a shelf or so of board games anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a terrible experience and not my own, but let me recount the tale of a friend of mine, a tale of fortune and glory from days of yore.

For yay, 'twas when I was still a young man and my friend even younger, that we still partook in the hobby known as "Games Workshop". Our nearest store was running a promotional weekend that included a prize draw.

To get a ticket, all one had to do was simply walk in the door.

As usual, for a Saturday, the place was crowded with 12-15 year olds who were really working my numbers, so my friend was simply looking to check out the offers and get out with his sanity intact.

He got his ticket, did his core shopping and left, contemplating another purchase.

At the end of the day he returned to buy that "one last thing" that we can all associate with and arrived just in time for the prize draw.

And so it was, surrounded by a veritable army of over-enthuasiastic youths, each clutching armfuls of draw tickets (having been in and out of the door on many occasions, either tolerated or ignored by the employee at the door), he looked down at his single ticket as one of the big prizes was drawn.

And lo, verily, 'twas his number.

As he told me the tale, his mood became somber as that look, off dozens of grumpy young regulars, who saw this ... this... grown-up, walk away with *their* prize. That look could have turned lesser men to stone, or to jelly, or perhaps even to both.

It was that day we all swore we would never enter a GW store again on a promotional day.

And we never have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
dannydeuce wrote:

Whoa, what's your problem? He obviously recently had a bad experience and just because he didn't lay down every detail doesn't mean he's rude. He simply started a discussion.

It's not that he didn't lay down every detail; he didn't lay down ANY DETAILS. I don't think it's out of line to suggest that the OP should contribute to his own damn thread.

"Hey guys, I had a really terrible experience once. Now tell me all your horror stories while I divulge none of my own."

Where I come from, there's a little thing called "tit for tat," and it IS a LITTLE BIT rude to expect everyone else to pony up the goods while you tease the barest hint of a suggestion that you might have something of your own, without actually showing it to us.

We're not asking for names or places, but at least tell us what happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend (now my wife) saw me painting miniatures and wanted in. So I took her to the game store to buy some miniatures to paint. There was a loud and boisterous organized event going on in the gaming area, and when she stepped in, everyone got quiet and stared at her. I kid you not, a couple of them literally went slack-jawed. She hasn't gone near a game store since.

Pete (has forgotten what game they were playing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
April 1978. Queued for hours on a cold day outside Games Workshop in Dalling Road. That's me at the far right just as the queue goes around the corner. After years of trying to find stuff from TSR and Judges Guild and Chaosium by mail I was excited to finally have a dedicated games shop in London.

Boy, was I disappointed! When I finally got inside it was just a small selection of games and magazines, including something called White Dwarf. Everything was really expensive and it seemed like they were more interested in selling lead figures than games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give two quick ones. Both were benign compared to some of the other horror stories, but what the hey. And I will preface this by saying neither of these are in the town I currently live in.

1. Walked into a Magic/board game/miniatures shop. There were a bunch of people in the back playing various card games, though it did not seem to be an organized event. Nobody acknowledged me while I looked around. I picked out a handful of Reaper minis that I wanted to paint. I sat them on the counter and tried my best to look like a man who was ready to check out. Nothing. After a few minutes I started walking around to different tables in the back asking if anyone knew the person in charge. Everyone either ignored me or shrugged. Finally I just walked out, leaving all the crap on the counter. I'm 100% certain that I could have just grabbed an armful of stuff and walked out and nobody would have noticed or cared.

2. Went into a miniature gaming shop. I noticed it driving by and thought I would check it out. The store had nothing I was interested in, but the owner engaged me in conversation (we were the only two people in the store) and he seemed nice--at first. After chatting for a minute, he started rattling off stuff that he could order for me. When I said I wasn't really in the market for anything, he kept pushing. Even though I kept saying things like "maybe some other time" or "No, I think I'm good on those at moment", he actually rang me up for like $250 worth of stuff. When I refused and made a move to leave, I actually thought he might try to rob me. Stayed far, far away from that place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannydeuce wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

As Stephen said above,it is not the case that he simply didn't divulge every detail. He did not share any details. If it is a situation where you cannot share ANY details, then you shouldn't bring it up at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
My girlfriend (now my wife) saw me painting miniatures and wanted in. So I took her to the game store to buy some miniatures to paint. There was a loud and boisterous organized event going on in the gaming area, and when she stepped in, everyone got quiet and stared at her. I kid you not, a couple of them literally went slack-jawed. She hasn't gone near a game store since.

Pete (has forgotten what game they were playing)

Hi Pete and Mrs Pete,

I think that's just teenage boys!! Check out Harry Enfield and Chums comedy.
https://youtu.be/alWX-4dJ4P0

All the best,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tavener
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like to donate your body to science?
mbmbmbmbmb
My one time favourite store stopped caring about board gamers, and just became a MTG haven. Last 6 or so times I went, I bought nothing. They stopped getting new games in stock, or only do so very sporadically and it's the typical Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerOfPinesol5 wrote:
I had a pretty bad one tonight. Something along the lines of bad management and bad crowd. Enough said. Now what is yours? you don't have to name names but I think that my luck is just about the worst ever. Prove me wrong soblue

I think my luck has run out so I'll stick to gaming with close friends and family.

Wow, that was horrible. I can empathize as I once had a similar incident. It involved a store and people.

Did I prove you wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.