Team Hull Breach!
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
publisher
Please use this thread to post any questions you may have about the game rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
A couple questions:

1) To attempt a boarding action on a station, do all the modules need to be destroyed first? I know you can't damage the station until the modules are destroyed, but wasn't sure about boarding.

2) Can modules be boarded and destroyed?

3) Modules that add attack value- do they just combine into one big volley with the station? Or can you fire with a module first and then fire with the station itself?

More of a strategy question: What is the advantage/use of the Murrelet transport's special ability? (This ship may sacrifice its volley fire to dock as many drones as it has capacity to garrison). I'm only a couple games in, so I haven't played with drones too much. Is it to protect them from being destroyed by larger ships until they launch again at the start of the next round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Winterborn
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
raddoc wrote:
A couple questions:

1) To attempt a boarding action on a station, do all the modules need to be destroyed first? I know you can't damage the station until the modules are destroyed, but wasn't sure about boarding.

2) Can modules be boarded and destroyed?

I'll cover these two together - You may attempt to Board a Station without regard to the presence or absence of Modules. You can imagine the Modules as being , well, bolted on to the Station core, and it's a shirtsleeve environment within, people can walk around between the Station and attached Modules. Therefore, boarding the Station as a whole means there's no need to board a Module by itself.

raddoc wrote:

3) Modules that add attack value- do they just combine into one big volley with the station? Or can you fire with a module first and then fire with the station itself?

Modules add their Marine, Fighter, or Drone capacities add their firepower to the Station's values. The one place I tend to make an exception to this is if a Module (or Station) has an Active trait, like Interceptor or Target Painter. Since an Active Trait is used in place of Volley firing, I don't count any Volley dice from the Module (Or Station, as the case might be) which used the Active Trait when the rest of the Station fires. Passive traits, on the other hand, like Hunter or Annihilate, DO confer their bonus to the entire Station's Volley fire.

raddoc wrote:

More of a strategy question: What is the advantage/use of the Murrelet transport's special ability? (This ship may sacrifice its volley fire to dock as many drones as it has capacity to garrison). I'm only a couple games in, so I haven't played with drones too much. Is it to protect them from being destroyed by larger ships until they launch again at the start of the next round?

You are correct. Normally, a Drone can either act or Dock on its turn to act. In this case, a drone can be deployed at the start of a fight, perform its action, then on the Murrelet's turn to act it can pull them all behind its own armor until the Murrelet's NEXT turn to act, (See p. 23 of the rulebook, part 6.1.3: Engagement) where the Drones could be relaunched and used again. It's also handy if you're doing a spoiling attack or raid, as it allows a faster Retreat. Without thh Murrelet, the Drones would be out there on their own unil they Docked with their next action.

Hope all that helps!

Todd
NSB Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.