Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
What environment, villain and hero combination would you play if only using two heroes? And I mean, heroes that would stand a good chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to try both 2 and 6 heroes, just for the experience of it, but not all decks are equally reliant on H. So I'm intrigued by what answers people might have for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the very first time I played Sentinels, I did so with two characters because I missed the part about having 3+ players. I beat Baron Blade in the Megaopolis environment (Or whatever it's called) using The Wraith and Legacy. I've done other 2p games using the Vengeance and Villains of the Multiverse villains, but you really need to know what you're doing. I've played with novices and lost horribly, but I've played with people who took to the game quickly, and we made it through by the skin of our teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find this page helpful!

http://x.gray.org/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-difficulty-sco...

It has a breakdown of the relative difficulty of different hero and villain combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Legacy and Wraith could take on anyone in the base game, in just about any base environment except Megalopolis. Atlantis would also be tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check the free Sentinels Randomizer app in android...does a great job in estimating win rates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We often play with two heroes. Because this totally breaks some cards, we treat "H" as 3. Our win rate is still pretty good.

Some villains are easier at a lower "H" (Miss Info, the Dreamer); most are harder.

I think my favorite random match up was Visionary and Bunker (both vanilla) in the Final Wasteland versus Akashbuta. This is not a match up you would usually consider; Akash is ridiculously fast developing with high target environmants, and they don't come any more target rich than FW.

Vis set up a Demoralize, Twist the Ether and Cocoon right away.
Bunker used Upgrade Mode and an interesting opening hand to deploy an Ammo Drop, Heavy Plating, Omni-cannon and Flak Cannon... He switched to Recharge mode... and the game became surreal.

Akash's limbs could not touch us. An occasional Entomb would damage Bunker, but not too badly. Allies of the Earth came out once; Vish took a few points while she destroyed it, then slipped into a new cocoon.

Akash only destroyed the cocoon once, and that was well into the second time through Vish's deck and she had a replacement in hand. That was the end of the Demoralization, though.

Other than that, we did nothing.

We watched the mob of Wasteland creatures tear down Akash's limbs over and over. We raided the library every turn, and accepted healing from Con's Bunker, adding three more environment draaws to every round.

Turn after turn we just drew cards and cheered the creatures on.

We figured Vish was sending telepathic chat, while Bunker used radio. Doing a play by play on the environment assault was surprisingly fun.

After some time, the Unforgiving Wasteland began to take its toll on the rapidly cycling Wastelanders, and the rate of damage to Akash was falling off. We waited until there were no Brambles in play, and launched our attack. The Omnicannon hit for 62 damage (after Turret Mode and a Mountanous Carapace). The Visionary had a fist full of Mind Spikes.

It took four turns and all of the Mind Spikes to drop the chaos goddess. I love dry-firing an Omni Cannon in Turret Mode; you still do one damage, which coupled with a +1 Flak Cannon is respectable. Vish had under five HP at the end, but we had triumphed... Through patience and chatting amiably for an hour and a quarter, and fighting like hell for another 15 minutes.

The point (such as it is) of my long winded story?

It is much more fun to play random heroes and invent a path to victory as you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other possibility for a two-hero game that I’ve played a few times (both on my own and with a friend) is the “Sidekick Variant” I found on these forums. I don’t remember the exact location, but you should be able to find it searching on here. The basic version of how it works is as follows:
- H = 3
- Choose two heroes to play
- Take the character cards for the heroes who aren’t being played and shuffle them to create a “sidekick deck”.
- Turn order is: Villain, Hero #1, Hero #2, Sidekick, Environment
- On the Sidekick’s turn, flip over the top card of the sidekick deck to show the Incapacitated side. In turn order, each Hero may select and use one of the Incap Powers. (Note: treat “a hero” as meaning your hero—so when it’s Hero #1’s turn to choose an Incap Power, “A hero may use a power now” means “Hero #1 may use a power now”)

That’s pretty much it! It works pretty well and balances things enough that you should be able to pick any two heroes without having to worry about whether or not they’ll be crushed simply because there are only two heroes.

You’ll have to decide what you want to do with all the various hero variants (this was developed before we had 2-5 versions of every hero), and if you think any other tweaks are necessary, but overall I find it’s an elegant solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone!
Keep it coming

@davec thanks for pointing out how the sidekick variant works. I'd often seen it there but never taken the time to check it out. I will now. Oh, and I love your avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
It's difficult to find, but I did a search and think it's a variant by Jack Darwid. He designs the most excellent "D" series of games so I'm sure his variant is top notch.
I've printed it out and am looking for a quiet place in the office to read it devil

dprcooke wrote:
One other possibility for a two-hero game that I’ve played a
few times (both on my own and with a friend) is the “Sidekick Variant” I found on these forums. I don’t remember the exact location, but you should be able to find it searching on here. The basic version of how it works is as follows:
- H = 3
- Choose two heroes to play
- Take the character cards for the heroes who aren’t being played and shuffle them to create a “sidekick deck”.
- Turn order is: Villain, Hero #1, Hero #2, Sidekick, Environment
- On the Sidekick’s turn, flip over the top card of the sidekick deck to show the Incapacitated side. In turn order, each Hero may select and use one of the Incap Powers. (Note: treat “a hero” as meaning your hero—so when it’s Hero #1’s turn to choose an Incap Power, “A hero may use a power now” means “Hero #1 may use a power now”)

That’s pretty much it! It works pretty well and balances things enough that you should be able to pick any two heroes without having to worry about whether or not they’ll be crushed simply because there are only two heroes.

You’ll have to decide what you want to do with all the various hero variants (this was developed before we had 2-5 versions of every hero), and if you think any other tweaks are necessary, but overall I find it’s an elegant solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
@davec thanks for pointing out how the sidekick variant works. I'd often seen it there but never taken the time to check it out. I will now. Oh, and I love your avatar!

No problem. And I'm glad to have found a fellow Rush fan on here!

theclergy wrote:
It's difficult to find, but I did a search and think it's a variant by Jack Darwid. He designs the most excellent "D" series of games so I'm sure his variant is top notch.
I've printed it out and am looking for a quiet place in the office to read it devil

Yep, that's the variant I was referring to! Though it looks like he's added a slight change since I last looked at it and the heroes can now choose the order in which they activate their sidekick ability.

For the benefit of those who may be interested (and with special thanks to Wilson who's mentioning of the developer helped me find the original thread), the Sidekick variant to which I referred is found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/872326/my-journey-find-best...

Probably my favorite thing about this variant is how simple it is. It provides an easy way to play with only two heroes without adding too many extra rules. That's definitely a win in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Don't want to beat a dead horse here but just to affirm that I am playing the Jack Darwid "sidekick" variant and loving it.
I'm halfway through beating up Baron Blade with Haka and the Wraith. If anything, its too easy BUT I intended that for my first try of this variant. Never difficult to up the degree of difficulty in this game.

It's funny, but I only play variants of Thunderstone:Advance, Star Trek the deck building game and now this. In my case I would suggest that each fan-made variant has improved the game!

Had to give the Baron an opportunity to regroup. I'll finish him off after work tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:

Had to give the Baron an opportunity to regroup. I'll finish him off after work tonight!

You callow FOOL! Each second you delay, the moon draws closer to the earth!

You may have doomed us all... and for what. Work?

Bunker might be expected to have an overdeveloped work ethic, but surely the Wraith knows better!

Now please excuse me. I have to hide my family in the deepest mine shafts I can find...

"After work", indeed. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Got 'im!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Another challenge with two heroes (though my wife and I love the Sidekick deck) is to play Vengeance-style. Two heroes, two Vengeance villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.