Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: would you like shorter campaign option? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Sebastien Fortin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been playing the game for a year now and the complaon I've heard more often is that it's often impossible to play more than 3-4 lantern years in a game session and when your friends are out of town it makes the ending a little anti-climatic...

would you think that it would be an interesting add-on to the KS campaign to have a booklet with tables where you would roll to generate your equipment/innovation. then generate a series of 2-3 quarry and then a boss/nemesis...

That way you could get through a little story from beginning to end in only a game session...

I think that it would also make it easier to show people the game and get them interested without always having to do the prologue, then a white lion/gorm, then the scream event, then lion/antelope/gorm, then butcher, etc... all the way to the watcher/dragon king/ sunstalker (although I look forward the the first hero expansion to start you at year 12... but it's still 10 more years to the watcher)

don't get me wrong, I really love the long campaign... it has the feel of old D&D game for me, but in my opinion more option is always better than less...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
The First Hero expansion also has an option for starting you off at Lantern Year 20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd say taking the First Hero expansion and then house ruling a few things could have you facing a big baddy within 3-4 Lantern Years, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's quick start rules in the base game if you don't want to play through the prologue. You could also easily randomize resource generation for any given fight (i.e. assume you'd win, reference the win condition for the monster you're fighting, ect). Any given show down can just be played as a challenge if you just want to play the game. I think the problem is you can't quite capture the emergence of a generational storyline by peicemealing together the various results from different phases. For example, if one of your original survivors manages to get to a weapon mastery and pass it on to an heir only to be executed by some storyline event. For that to really have impact and meaning you'd have to play through all the fights to get to mastery, as well as the choices that get you to the surname tech, culminating in having a familial relationship. Then the bitter impact of having someone you cared about killed only comes from that attachment. You could just roll up a survivor who has a surname and is half way to mastery and explain it all away, but it just doesn't have the same gravity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.