Hide
9 Posts

1822: The Railways of Great Britain» Forums » General

Subject: Minor gripe re trains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Damerell
msg tools
The later trains are described in an axle counting notation, so the 5 is a "2-3-0" and the 6 a "2-3-1", although the earlier ones are described in Whyte notation. (As far as I know, only in Russia was an axle counting notation used with dashes in it.)

"All I'm saying, Bill, is it does keep falling over sideways."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it have been more accurate to use Whyte for the early and UIC for the late trains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
CoffeeRunner wrote:
Would it have been more accurate to use Whyte for the early and UIC for the late trains?

I would have expected Whyte to be used for all steam locomotives and UIC for the diesel '7' and electric 'E', as was British practice. [1]

[1] Well, Bulleid experimented with UIC on steam engines but then he did also design a class that did have a tendency to fall over sideways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've come to dislike the 18xx habit of ascribing specific train classes to each rank. It isn't what happened. Sure, the various foundries came out with new trains and so forth over time, but the actual rolling stock in companies was the furthest thing from homogeneous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
Sure, the various foundries came out with new trains and so forth over time, but the actual rolling stock in companies was the furthest thing from homogeneous.

Let alone between all companies!

I don't disagree but I think it's a different gripe, although I suppose if 18xx designers adopted your proposed practice they would then be free from the sort of pedantry I'm perpetuating as a side effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I gave up identifying the trains at all. They're just a number...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, major confession from your friendly games designer.
I have no interest in steam trains (other than occasionally thinking that they look quite romantic), so am prone to making mistakes...
Heretical I know, but I just love the mechanics of 18xx...

There... I have outed myself.

Apologies to the (self confessed) pedants spotting my mistakes. Suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I gave up identifying the trains at all. They're just a number...

Trains are just numbers, fo sho. Train art is almost imperceptible to me when playing 18xx, so is any hint of theme. I came here for the decision space so give me graphic design that's functional.

In this way, I prefer 18xx terminology that is as universal to the system as possible, clearly understood, and not cluttered with historical names or forced theme. An impressive example of this is how succinct color-coded phase names, "yellow, green, brown, grey" are. "Brown" explains so much, and is visually represented on the board. Its just so right.

J C, you're considering names for a new event/phase in '20. Someone suggested a clever historical event name. I think it's totally fine, workable. It compares to the volcano eruption in '49 and nationalization in other titles. I would say the biggest drawback of a historical event name, is it wouldn't flow with the maintenance/round chart (pictured below, the color banded chart beneath map). For that reason, a name connected to the phase makes sense too, like New Brown. Which is less charming. So I'm no help here, naming is hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
For those interested the yellow, goldish and green cards above ("2", "2+" and "3+") are trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.