Hide
4 Posts

Bios: Genesis» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 vs 2/ 1 vs 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
I was thinking the other day (yesterday, I think) how cool would it be if there was a 1 vs. 3 variant, where, for instance, the color-in-play parasite cards were given to one player and the rest should try to develop their organisms, both teams would have two different goals, depending on their role; also, the posibility of a 2 vs. 2 variant, as in a team battle.

Reading the solo and co-op variants rules, I find them to be very flexible and I think that just taking some simple mechanisms from there to these variants, it wouldn't be too hard to create these variants and they would add up to the replayability value of this great game.

Why don't I do it myself? Because I'm pretty new in this world of board games and maybe I won't know how to avoid unbalancing the game, also I haven't played the game not even once, so it would be sort of abstract for me to do it.

I'm just saying that it would be great if some member of BGG came up, if he/she desires to, with something like this. If the variants got Phil Eklund's blessing, they would be a big thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinFRE wrote:
I was thinking the other day (yesterday, I think) how cool would it be if there was a 1 vs. 3 variant, where, for instance, the color-in-play parasite cards were given to one player and the rest should try to develop their organisms, both teams would have two different goals, depending on their role; also, the posibility of a 2 vs. 2 variant, as in a team battle.

Reading the solo and co-op variants rules, I find them to be very flexible and I think that just taking some simple mechanisms from there to these variants, it wouldn't be too hard to create these variants and they would add up to the replayability value of this great game.

Why don't I do it myself? Because I'm pretty new in this world of board games and maybe I won't know how to avoid unbalancing the game, also I haven't played the game not even once, so it would be sort of abstract for me to do it.

I'm just saying that it would be great if some member of BGG came up, if he/she desires to, with something like this. If the variants got Phil Eklund's blessing, they would be a big thing.

I will be following these variants with great interest. I hope you will attempt them yourself Kevin, because balance issues can be addressed only by playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parasites versus non-parasites would be interesting. The issue is that parasites sit firmly in the mid-range as far as points are concerned.

Once established and mutated, they can be fairly survivable (usually starting weaker), but since macroorganisms give such large bonuses, there are strict limits on what a parasite-only player can achieve.

That said, 2 vs 2 team play seems a little more plausible.

Initial thoughts:

The most basic of these would be to randomly assign a player colour to two players, then to give the matching parasite colour and an additional one to their teammate.

You probably want to only have one biont per parasite. I think you'd want to create a fourth biont (use two appropriately coloured cubes, stacked) for the parasite player, of the colour of their teammate.

The victory conditions would be identical, but the Two-Parasite player would have their attention divided between hindering the other team and helping their partner - do you infect two opposing organisms, hyper-parasite or infect one friendly and one unfriendly, etc.

Victory conditions would be identical, but catalyst limits would be considered to be a two player game (6 catalysts of each colour), since the parasite player will have no pool of their own.

Player order will also be that of a two player game - a parasite player with no parasite would take their turn after their partner, actual parasites would take their turns after their host as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
Thank you both for responding.

Phil, I think you convinced me, I'll try to come up with something, and I hope it will be good.

Dom, yeah, I also thought that parasites wouldn't be able to fairly compete against a group of micro or macroorganisms, so I thought that maybe victory conditions could be changed, to be not based on VP but on another achievement, just like the winning conditions in coop and solo variants. I like some of the mechanisms you proposed, like the teams or the parasitic bionts.

I'll try it, wish me luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.