New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
Happy New Year!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeaFall
2 Player Variant

My wife and I have played 5 games. She's 51 to my 42 Glory. We've achieved the same number of milestone to date. I just managed to build the first colony just before Roseann won the latest game.

Having played SeaFall with another group of four, resources do run away in a two player game. To "tighten" things up a bit my wife and I developed the following process for an AI:

Set up an AI Area. At the start of the game it will consist of two dice and enmity tokens from one province not in play.

The beginning of each turn (the AI always goes first) we take two dice (for us it's a blue d6 and a red d8) and roll both. The blue die determines the action that the AI will take and the red die determines the resource type (Iron, Linen, Spice or Wood) for either good(s), a building or an upgrade to be removed.

Goods removed are stored in the AI's area until Winter. During Winter goods are returned to the general supply during Harvest and are available when Islands Produce.

Action (Blue d6 die)
1 Merchant - Buy (remove) 1 good
2 Build
3 Merchant - Buy 2 goods (roll red die twice)
4 Upgrade
5 Raid - Cover the mine (not already covered) on an island closest to the Coastal Waters. Players can not raid this mine this year.
6 Advisor - the red die determines which available advisor (1-5) is removed (to the bottom of the advisors deck). If a 6, 7, or 8 is rolled no advisor is taken. INSTEAD, the AI loses an Upgrade on a 7 or a Building on a 8 and is returned to the sideboard available to all players once again. On a die roll of 6 nothing happens.

Resource Removed (Red d8 die)
1 Iron
2 Linen
3 Spice
4 Wood
5 Iron
6 Linen
7 Spice
8 Wood

When removing goods remove goods from the first island (with goods) closest to the Coastal Waters. Place an AI enmity marker on this island. When goods are to be taken again they will be removed from the next island out that has resources on it (skipping islands that do not have available resources to take). If all islands have had resources taken by the AI during the year and the AI needs to remove more, remove all enmity tokens and start once again with the island closest to the Coastal Waters with resources available for taking. If no resources are available for taking on any of the islands then nothing happens. During winter, remove all AI enmity tokens.

To remove a building or an upgrade for the AI, take one of each building or upgrade that matches the type of resource rolled (Iron, Linen, Wood or Iron) and place them face down on the table and have someone randomly choose one. Add the chosen building or upgrade to the AI area face down.

When the AI needs to return a building or upgrade, randomly select one face down from the AI area and return it to the sideboard face up.

That's it, this works for us. As the game unfolds we may update actions to compensate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicholas nicholas
msg tools
I like it.

For what it's worth, I have a 2 player game going in tandem with my four play game as well, but being fans of "as little modification as possible" the only changes we've made are:
1) Glory required to end each game is doubled
2) Remove half the resource cubes from the game before setup

Well, we've also added 2 other rules since it's a replay within another ongoing campaign, but sort of off topic for this thread, if still worth mentioning:

1) Cannot play past where our main campaign is
2) Choose Captain's Book entries randomly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erwin habes
Netherlands
Maarssen
I
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,just curieus, why don't you have an exploring action with the D6 roll?
You can roll another die and use odd and even on the explorersmap to find a site.
Seafall is also all about exploring a new world.
So i am missing the explorers guild on the blue die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
squirrelnest wrote:
I like it.

For what it's worth, I have a 2 player game going in tandem with my four play game as well, but being fans of "as little modification as possible" the only changes we've made are:
1) Glory required to end each game is doubled
2) Remove half the resource cubes from the game before setup

Well, we've also added 2 other rules since it's a replay within another ongoing campaign, but sort of off topic for this thread, if still worth mentioning:

1) Cannot play past where our main campaign is
2) Choose Captain's Book entries randomly

My wife and I have varied your variant

We do:

1. 50% more glory needed instead of double
2. 6 resource cubes for each resource (though 5 would also be good for more contention)
3. Remove one copy of any upgrade or structure that has more than one copy.

We're half way through the game and it's been working great (not very much combat between us, but I suspect that's ok for many couples). She's been merchant heavy and I've been explore heavy. While I was ahead for much of the game, we are currently tied on overall glory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.