6 Posts

Shadowrift» Forums » Rules

Subject: Full Bloom Healing Timing and Resources on 'Epic' Actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimbo Of the Jimbo
Canada
flag msg tools
1) When does the healing on Full Bloom trigger? Since we couldn't find a ruling anywhere, and the monster faction doesn't have a rulebook, we assumed it happens during the Monsters Act phase. But is that true? When the Full Bloom comes out during the Add Monsters phase does it trigger immediately and heal the most wounded monster for two?

2) When playing an 'epic' action as a resource, does that count as your one epic card for the round? We had a (self-admitted) pedantic player that was quite certain you couldn't add a magic resource that was on an epic action to boost an epic spell because then you would be playing two epic cards in one turn and the epic marker wasn't text and thus shouldn't be ignored. Is that the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play action cards either for their action OR for the magic result, not both. So when you play it for the resource, this does NOT count as a play of an epic action.

Rules page 13, section spells:

"When played as a resource, ALL other text from the spell is ignored" (i.e. even the "epic action" text is ignored)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Of the Jimbo
Canada
flag msg tools
Mixo wrote:
You can play action cards either for their action OR for the magic result, not both. So when you play it for the resource, this does NOT count as a play of an epic action.

"When played as a resource, ALL other text from the spell is ignored" (i.e. even the "epic action" text is ignored)

I agree completely. The player in question contends that since the epic action indication is an icon in the upper left, rather than text, it is NOT cancelled out by the cards text being cancelled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthawolf wrote:
Mixo wrote:

I agree completely. The player in question contends that since the epic action indication is an icon in the upper left, rather than text, it is NOT cancelled out by the cards text being cancelled.

Well, then tell him to have a look at the first Edition rules of the game - there it clearly states on page 2:

"This Card (note: one showing the Magic icon) can be DISCARDED as this resource"

This rule has NOT been changed between Editions. If he still Claims otherwise, Point him at page 10 (cleanup) of the second Edition rules to further press your Point.

If he still insists Looks for another gaming Buddy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Cuthawolf wrote:
1) When does the healing on Full Bloom trigger? Since we couldn't find a ruling anywhere, and the monster faction doesn't have a rulebook, we assumed it happens during the Monsters Act phase. But is that true? When the Full Bloom comes out during the Add Monsters phase does it trigger immediately and heal the most wounded monster for two?

2) When playing an 'epic' action as a resource, does that count as your one epic card for the round? We had a (self-admitted) pedantic player that was quite certain you couldn't add a magic resource that was on an epic action to boost an epic spell because then you would be playing two epic cards in one turn and the epic marker wasn't text and thus shouldn't be ignored. Is that the case?

Effects on Power cards that happen once per round and don't declare when (like the healing effects of Full Bloom or Cold Snap) occur at the very beginning of the Monsters Act Step.

Using an Epic Spell to provide [Magic] does not use up your Epic for the round. It isn't quite the same as 1st Ed, because you shouldn't immediately discard it; 2nd Ed leaves everything you play in play until Cleanup (mostly to prevent players from drawing and using the same Might or Heroism twice in one round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Of the Jimbo
Canada
flag msg tools
Many thanks gentlemen, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I'm happy to pass on this stuff to my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.