Subject: Frontier Town House Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Lew
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Having played through frontier towns a couple of times my groups have talked about a few house rules. I'm wondering if anyone else does the same? I have read someone else's issues with the gambling (which I'll also touch on here).

1) In the Hanging High scenario, we talked about changing it so there is a chance at getting the rope down prior to countdown finishing. Unless your group is very strong, we found it difficult to kill all the bandits/marshalls before the switch is pulled. So you end up playing a 30-45 minute scenario to be decided on a single die roll (using 1 grit).

Thematically, if someone was in range, couldn't they fire at it (or cut it down) prior to the marshalls pulled the switch? Now I think it would be too easy if you could just kill it as an enemy with 0 defence and 6 HP. You are trying to shoot at a rope afterall.

My idea was that any hero can choose to take a shot at the rope instead of attacking an enemy any time the countdown is 4 or less (it takes time to set up the prisoner with the noose.) They get a single shot. If they hit, damage roll of 6 snaps the rope, all other damage rolls (1 through 5) deals 1 damage to it. So in theory, you can peck away the rope (like in the movies) but you would have to take several shots at it.

2) Gambling in town. I think it's pretty broken. Someone started a thread on it here

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1598845/so-damned-gambling-...

In our few town visits, it made sense to just continually gamble, as each person was making $500+ per visit, some people were making significantly more.

a few rules I'm thinking about implementing

a) you can only visit the gambling hall once per town visit (thematically, if you win a lot of money, they won't let you back)
b) increase the cost of 5 card poker and the devil's wheel to $100 and limit it to 2 times per visit.
c) if you win more than $500 in any location you gain an additional unwanted marker (tossed up the idea of gaining an unwanted marker anytime you win more than $200 dollars). The main issue is that unwanted markers barely come into play (need a 7 on town event, then you need to roll less than your markers, then you need to fail a luck 5+ test, then you need to take enough damage to die.

anyone else have similar house rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
We play with the rule that you can only visit the Saloon to gamble once per visit. It's just too time consuming and easy to abuse for extra cash. Same goes for Performing and most other such.

I can't speak to Hang 'Em High, as we're all a bunch of goodie two-shoes and haven't needed to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just play that the town marker never resets back to 1 after a town event. This keeps town visits short in general and potentially very dangerous since at the 6 day mark events happen every day. This doesn't really address your problem with excessive gambling but it does force heroes to prioritize what they need to do in town since bad stuff is gonna happen eventually.

- John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about being forced to leave the town after the first event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kluck
msg tools
We scaled back on the rolls to get the Travel Hazard Events, as a 6-player game (on average) should have 9 events. It just bogged things down too much.

We all roll 1d6 --

Small Town -- 1-2 gets a hazard
Medium Town -- 1-3 gets a hazard
Large Town -- 1-4 gets a hazard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.