$35.00
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanting to know if im missing something with the victory condition with this one.

"The Soviet player wins if he destroys one of the bridge hexes ..... and German units do not control hex 20I1. Any other result is a German victory."

I have run through this one a couple of times now and the Soviets are able to blow the bridge by the end of turn 3 and the German units entering Map 20 can't make it to the controlling hex until turn 4.

All the Soviets need to do is focus all their forces towards the bridge, not even worrying about covering 20I1. The German unit is pretty easy to take out on turn 1 using the guard units, then moving the Partisans up. On turn 2 the Guards rush onto and over the bridge to prevent the Germans getting on there, then spread the Partisans out who are able to occupy around 4 to 5 hexes adjacent to the bridge hexes. Turn 3 just sit tight and use the Guards to disrupt the Germans then Kaboom mission won.

So the event dosn't even matter but if it did (the game continued longer), it dosnt make sense also as the entering units end up on the west bank with a blown bridge so no way of taking part in the action.

I feel like something is missing as the victory conditions stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to play all 7 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok cool that makes more sense though the victory condition written as they are don't indicate this. It just tells you that as long as the bridge is destroyed and no Germans occupy the building the Soviets win, nothing to do with having to hang on to the objective hex until the end of the game.

maybe a couple of words need to be added.

"The Soviet player wins if he destroys one of the bridge hexes ..... and German units do not control hex 20I1 at the end of turn 7. Any other result is a German victory."

Thanks for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done my best to tidy up the older scenarios. Could "at the end of the scenario", etc., make it clearer? Sure. But as stated there's nothing about an instant victory either--and for the same reason as what prompted you to post: it would be a pointless scenario with no chance for the Germans to win. It's sort of default that a scenario is played to its final turn unless otherwise stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you are saying.

I have just come from playing a few heroes of the Nam scenarios and pretty much all of them have "at the end" or "by the end of the scenario" in the victory conditions the only ones that don't are the ones that talk about a side gaining a certain number of VP's to win (I would assume once the side gained the needed VP's the scenario would end no matter what turn it was?)

Flicking through the heroes of the motherland there are also some scenarios that mention the end of the scenario but others that don't. So it had lead my initial thought that if it didn't mention by the end or at the end .... the scenario victory condition could be met earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well..... I found the answer to my confusion in the core rules V4.1 which I have seemed to have glossed over..

Page 58.

"Unless otherwise specified, a scenario must run the full number of turns before victory conditions are checked: ie no sudden victory"

Sorry for wasting your time Jeff...blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.