Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Worker placement game recommendation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reuben Cheung
msg tools
Hello! First time I'm posting here, so I guess I'll quickly introduce myself. My name is Reuben, and I have been a gamer for most of my life. I started with video games as a child, but I have since grown to enjoy board games going into adulthood. My favorite board games include Splendor, Kingdom Builder, and Dead Of Winter.

So I have a group who meets fairly regularly to play board games. One of my friends in the group has mentioned to me that he tried out Lords Of Waterdeep, and wants to introduce it to our group. At first, I was hesitant because while I do enjoy those long-haul strategy-heavy games, the rest of the group does not. I am the one who usually supplies the games to our sessions, and I have attempted to introduce games like Small World and Race For The Galaxy. Halfway through the game I'd start hearing complaints from them about how long the wait for their next turn is, or how complicated the rules seem to be.

However, thinking about Lords Of Waterdeep made me realize that our group has yet to try a worker placement game, and I wonder how the mechanic will fare with my group. So I would like to ask if there are any good worker placement games out there that would sit well with a casual gaming group such as mine. (Also, I have been itching to add one to my collection anyway)

If it helps, my group generally likes to play games like Coup, BANG!, and Splendor.

TL;DR: Looking for a worker placement game for my casual gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is perfect to introduce worker placement games to any gaming group. It is considered as a gateway game for that genre. Something lighter than that would be... My First Stone Age?

But if your group complained about Small World, saying that it is too difficult or too long, well, maybe stick to lighter party games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age are both very good "starter" WP games. Turns are very quick, and you are always gaining points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Viticulture Essential Edition, which is maybe one step past Lords of Waterdeep, but still not too complex.

Raiders of the North Sea is also not to hard to comprehend, and has a nice theme to boot. It can be a bit hard to find though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
Maple Ridge
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Champions of midgaurd
Viticulture with Tuscany expansion
Scoville

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick with Lords of Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with lords of waterdeep and stone age.

But, you might also try 7 Wonders. Not a worker placement, but it has a little bit more tactics then you normally play, i think you seek that?

Why 7 wonders? Because you all do your turn the same time. So downtime between turns is almost zero.

Don't be scared off by the rules, after one round of play everybody gets it. I explained it many times, and it always works like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is a great recommendation, especially if someone in your group is already interested. This was my first worker placement and I still like it. I've introduced it to many new people, almost all being non-gamers. No one struggled or felt it was too hard.

The nice thing about the game is the fixed ending. Which is to say after so many rounds it's done. You're not waiting for a specific win condition trigger so the game won't drag forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Langfinger should fit well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coal Baron might work and I think it's a good game that is somewhat overlooked, but if theme matters then it might come up short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Can you play Lords of Waterdeep 2-player with the friend who wants to introduce it? That way you'll have a better idea of how it feels, if it will be light enough for the others. And as a general rule it's much easier to teach and get a group on board with a new game when you really understand the game yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is great. Give it a go with your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like suggesting Burger Boss for easy WP. It looks very approachable, and as such is honest about how light it is, compared to Waterdeep, which is just as simple, maybe more so, but pretends it's all clever and thematic when it's really not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
casaubon wrote:
Why 7 wonders? Because you all do your turn the same time. So downtime communication and fun between turns is almost zero.

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
Both Lords of Waterdeep and Champions of Midgard are good fits for you. I suggest that you choose what theme you like more (Dungeons&Dragons or Vikings) and go with that one. Stone Age is also a good worker placement but the reprint doesn't come out till next spring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Cheung
msg tools
Mac345 wrote:
Both Lords of Waterdeep and Champions of Midgard are good fits for you. I suggest that you choose what theme you like more (Dungeons&Dragons or Vikings) and go with that one. Stone Age is also a good worker placement but the reprint doesn't come out till next spring.

I was actually looking at possibly obtaining Stone Age. To hear that there's a reprint coming out later helps my decision a bit.

Btw, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions so far! I have to say I didn't expect so many responses so quickly. That says a lot about this community which I am glad to be a part of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quadropolis isn't categorized as a worker placement here on BGG but it has that feel to me. It moves quickly, lasts four rounds, has great production values and is of a similar weight to Ticket to Ride

Automania is a fine, fun, relatively light worker placement game that has quick turns. You are building cars in almost every turn.

Stone Age was the first worker placement game when I first started the hobby and I still really enjoy it. It is easy to explain and has enough luck to let everyone feel like they have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.