Hide
11 Posts

Pariah Missouri (fan expansion to T.I.M.E Stories)» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Fundamentally Flawed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Poole
msg tools
I downloaded this, printed it out, and cut it.

The art is cool, the story is at least appealing on the surface, and the characters have interesting quirks. This is why I gave it a 2.

Beyond that, the game has glaring mechanical issues: there are straight up errors that prevent the game from being played to completion through certain paths. The game also uses darn near almost every state in the game. Even with keeping careful notes, we were overwhelmed. There are also a large number of locations, which combined with the extremely long time loops, resulted in everything blurring together rather than remaining distinct. There are tons of optional paths but the main path is almost entirely obscured. And the day/night mechanic is not really explained.

As a fanmade adventure, I wouldn't complain too much, but if I had contributed money to getting this thing made, I'd be fairly disappointed.

Bottom line: only play it if you're willing to overlook gaping deficiencies in design because you really, really love TIME Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
As a fanmade adventure, I wouldn't complain too much, but if I had contributed money to getting this thing made, I'd be fairly disappointed

This comment resonated with me. My playgroup enjoys TIME Stories and like playing fan made scenarios. We do overlook errors as the fan adventures we play are free. We do pay for and enjoy the official ones, too.

We would pay reasonable prices for fan created content, but would have a similar expectation of quality as with an expansion we PAY for from Space Cowboys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvet Veltkamp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Scott, the rating is important because it takes a lot of effort to get the final version of this scenario and of course even more effort, paper and ink to print it. If the result is a disappointing gaming experience I think it's justified to give a low rating so others know what to expect. Our group enjoyed the (FREE!) fan made scenario Switching Gears tremendously, even more than the official ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosCreature wrote:
@Scott, the rating is important because it takes a lot of effort to get the final version of this scenario...

Of course! I am not arguing against low ratings. I am arguing that if I am paying for content, I expect a high quality product.

Never having played this scenario, I have not rated it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvet Veltkamp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelter wrote:
ChaosCreature wrote:
@Scott, the rating is important because it takes a lot of effort to get the final version of this scenario...

Of course! I am not arguing against low ratings. I am arguing that if I am paying for content, I expect a high quality product.

Never having played this scenario, I have not rated it at all.

You are completely right. You don't actually pay for the scenario - the rough version is available for free. The final version is an extra if you back a bigger project for 1 dollar. So it's not as if you pay as for a normal scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Augustine
United States
AUSTIN
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This scenario is not worth the cost of ink and paper nor the time spent playing it, let alone the time spent cutting out the cards. We only won due to SHEER LUCK. Seriously. There is a card that lets you draw two cards at random from the deck (within a certain numerical range, iirc). One of the cards we drew ended up being a card we should have already received, but the game told us to take the wrong item.

We were flabbergasted. Between that and the puzzle with a broken answer (it tells you to select a card based on a password, and its not the correct card) I was ready to set the deck on fire.

This isnt just bad, which could be overlooked, but its puzzles with incorrect answers. Imagine putting a puzzle together, and you arent missing a piece, its just completely the wrong shape. uuuuggggghhhhh.

This is only worth checking out if someone physically hands you a copy of the cards. Any additional time or monetary investment past that, is a complete waste.

The author should simply be ashamed. This feels less like a backer reward and more like a scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Augustine
United States
AUSTIN
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please note - the designer released an updated file today. He claims the original file released was the wrong one. IMO, too little too late. It took way too long to simply release the correct file. Doesn't pass the smell test. Either way, it may be worth playing now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the new file isn't completely fixed yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be he just got too many "1" ratings. Until now, he didn't give a s&@¥. And his own rating of "10" is a little awkward.

Let's see how he fixes the situation, apart from using Bob's stickers and without saying "Thank you from the bottom of my heart!" to all the people who try to help him getting out of there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Brandt
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where was the new file released? I only have the designer e-mail from November with the download link, but no new updates since.

ProjectGSX wrote:
Please note - the designer released an updated file today. He claims the original file released was the wrong one. IMO, too little too late. It took way too long to simply release the correct file. Doesn't pass the smell test. Either way, it may be worth playing now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Gurantz
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Wow... "Until now, he didn't give a s&@¥." Seriously? How many T.I.M.E. scenarios have you designed, might I ask?

I know Andy, the designer, from playing with him in many different types of games at our local gaming convention (RPGs, board games, Werewolf, etc.), and the amount of effort he put into this was pretty big. I can tell this is a labor of love. I'm not saying there aren't mistakes and issues to fix, but personally, in my playtest I found some of the mechanics pretty cool. The Day/Night map mechanic was really evocative and creative, and again, I have no problems with criticism that it isn't explained well, but of course my personal experience was with the designer running it, so that wasn't an issue for me.

The art is fantastic. I know that Andy submitted it to Asmodee as a proposed setting/expansion, but it didn't get through. Perhaps if it had some of this would be actually paid for and could be fixed, but I know the dude also has a day job, so given that, I'm pretty impressed.

(Not saying that the ratings are undeserved... rate it what you will... but the scorn says much more about you (Chris Hainz), than the game or the designer.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.