Peter Anon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How many game plays* did you have at BGG.con 2016?

*multiple plays of the same game is ok!
0-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
50+
      190 answers
Poll created by majicbaby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Every year, I play less and less at conventions, spending as much time just hanging out or going out to lunch and dinner with folks as I do playing games. There was also a time where it seemed I was focused on playing as many 30-60 minute games as I could at cons, cramming one game after another, whereas I now tend to focus on the longer, more involved stuff.

This year, out of the 15-ish games I played, the highlights were:

Six games of Terraforming Mars. Amazing game!
Our annual 15-player game of Fische Fluppen Frikadellen, which is always a blast!
Teaching and playing a game of Powerboats, one of my all-time favorite games, with a fun group of folks that had never heard of the game before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Longstreet
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my second year, but only the first time at the hotel. It made all the difference in my enjoyment. I played about 17 games with a nice mix of Wargames, 18XX, Euros and party games. I had plenty of time to hangout with people, participate in activities and take breaks when I needed. Overall I would have liked maybe a few more games, but I had an awesome time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shoot, I thought my 16-20 answer would put me at the low end, since 3 of those were EastFront II, one was an 8-hour game of Triumph & Tragedy, etc. What the heck were the rest of you people doing?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Shoot, I thought my 16-20 answer would put me at the low end, since 3 of those were EastFront II, one was an 8-hour game of Triumph & Tragedy, etc. What the heck were the rest of you people doing?!

Catching up with friends, going through the vendor halls, Team Geek shifts, and just enjoying the whole con experience instead of focusing solely on playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this. Plus checking out the vendor halls and wandering around seeing if anybody needed rules taught.

Age of Steam: Korea
Antiquity
Brass
Castles of Burgundy
Fabled Fruit
Flick Wars
Food Chain Magnate x2
Great Western Trail
Key to the City: London
Mechs vs Minions x3
Pyramid Arcade (the coop game, didn't catch the name, played with Kristin Looney)
PUNCT x3
Roll for the Galaxy x4
Ships
Terraforming Mars x2
Tesla vs Edition
The Big Book of Madness
Qin x3
Yeti x2 (short game, giant board)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been to a BGG convention where I've played less than 35 games. It surprises me at the number of lower game counts on this poll. A small sample size but it looks like my marathon gaming over the 5 days is in the vast minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurogamers will of course tend to higher count than, say, wargamers.

I played 22 distinct games, but voted 26-30 because I played several of them two or three times. They ranged from a couple 10-minute fillers to one 5+-hour epic game that we didn't even half-finish in that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roberts
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may, which game was half finished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be just me, but I always feel a little let down with how FEW games I get to play at BGG.Con. It feels like I should have been able to play more.

Somehow between buying/selling, eating, sleeping, vendor hall time, learning rules, looking for a game/looking for players followed by looking for a table to play at, I end up with a daily average of 3-5 games.

It seems disappointing to me because at a game group we can usually get about 3 games in on average on a weeknight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
markaaronmassey wrote:
I've never been to a BGG convention where I've played less than 35 games. It surprises me at the number of lower game counts on this poll. A small sample size but it looks like my marathon gaming over the 5 days is in the vast minority.

Counting multiple plays, I got about 18 games in... which is about double what I played in total for the rest of 2016. I was at the convention for a total of about 52 hours and no game I played was over 2 hours and many were quite a bit less. I also only ate at the cash & carry so minimal time for food breaks. Most of the rest of the time was wandering the vendor halls, watching some games and teaching/helping people with game questions on the popular games that I knew how to play. I lost my voice from teaching Captain Sonar to large groups in a loud hall several times in a row.

I have pretty strong social anxiety and my main gaming partner was probably only there for about 25 of my 52 hours and both of us are filthy casuals that don't have a clue about new games. That's my main limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed 45 individual plays during the week, though I arrived on Tuesday after and left Sunday morning. I taught A Feast for Odin each of the five times I played it. I taught Great Western Trail both times. Every single game, except for Werewolf, Mysterium, and replays of Don't Mess with Cthulu and Happy Salmon were learning games for people.

Don't Mess with Cthulu x 6
A Feast for Odin x 5
Mystic Vale x 4
Burgle Bros x 3
13 Clues x 3
Great Western Trail x 2
Happy Salmon x 2
Karuba x 2
Tyrants of the Underdark x 2
Order of the Gilded Compass x 2
Virus x 2
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Mysterium
London Dread
Oh My Goods!
Kingdomino
Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game
Dokmus
Terraforming Mars
Dimension
Werewolf
Codenames: Pictures
Parsely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrdisco102 wrote:

Fire in the Lake

We had two first-time players (including myself) and there's a LOT to take in. Each of the four players has their own unique rules and victory conditions, so even understanding how the pieces move around takes some doing. I'm led to believe that four experienced players could finish the game in 4-6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roberts
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ceej wrote:
mrdisco102 wrote:

Fire in the Lake

We had two first-time players (including myself) and there's a LOT to take in. Each of the four players has their own unique rules and victory conditions, so even understanding how the pieces move around takes some doing. I'm led to believe that four experienced players could finish the game in 4-6 hours.

Wowza!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I had a blast at our first BGG con.

We got to play 53 distinct games. A ton of OOP stuff because of how great the library is. When also met a ton of new friends! We hope to come back next year

Some of our favorites were Railroad Revolution, Pret a Porter, Insider, Paris Connection, and 1861.

List of Games!

Blog post about our experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coopasonic wrote:
I have pretty strong social anxiety and my main gaming partner was probably only there for about 25 of my 52 hours and both of us are filthy casuals that don't have a clue about new games. That's my main limitation.

If you're at BGG.CON in the fall or BGG Spring and need someone to play with, look for me and Billy. We'll be happy to teach you our new faves or old classics (to us) that you haven't played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.