Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Junk Art» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why is it so much fun? It's like trying to explain "Stranger Things" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wey Scoggin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like dexterity games, and I enjoy building games like tummple and Jenga. But this game is great, I love all the shapes and the colors, but the different games make it shine. They are all fun in their own way, and it is so easy to teach and learn and everyone has fun no matter who wins. My boys Brock and Garrison loved it, and laughed at each others failures and cheered for each other's great plays. I'm amazed still at how this game is more fun than it should be. I kind of feel like a would explain this the same way I explained "stranger things" before everyone else had heard about it. I knew I loved it and wanted other people to watch it, but I would say just watch it - you probably aren't going to like it because it's kind of weird but just try it, you probably won't like it bust just try it. I didn't know why stranger things was so good, and I don't know why junk art is either. I'm not going to invite people over to play Jenga or watch jumanji. I like both of those things, and I know why, and furthermore I know how much I should like them and I like them the proper amount. Junk art is a game I enjoy an ashamedly amount simply because I cannot reckon why it is better than I can reconcile by explaining the rules. Just like stranger things - it's just like a lot of 80s movies, but hmm.. I don't know why it a good. Who wants to come over and watch ET at my house tomorrow?

Fun
Accessibility
Components
Do these numbers matter
4 sure
Am I hungry
Am I German
Licks to the center
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is a complete blast. Has been a hit with every single person I've shared it with including those who don't like other dexterity games.

As for Stranger Things and Junk Art I don't find it hard to pinpoint what is great about them though.

Stranger Things will be enjoyed by anyone that finds the idea of an 80's homage mash up of Stephen King, Steven Spielberg and the X-Files even remotely appealing.

Junk Art is fantastic because it's easy to teach, plays quickly and takes the best parts of other highly regarded dexterity games like Bausack/Bandu and cleverly introduces "gamer" mechanics like drafting, variable set up, and multiple winning conditions. It also provides enough interesting decisions that it can be enjoyed by people who aren't necessarily fond of pure dexterity games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's flat out filled with such devilish 'shared tension'.
The first time we played the Paris variant (everyone builds off the same structure), all six of us spent turns hovering around the table delicately holding the playing pieces like surgeons, not daring to make the slightest extraneous move - or even talk loudly - fearing that even minor vibrations would send the structure crashing down. Maybe it was just the boardgame table we were playing on, but the structures we built were like 'vibration amplifiers' that could detect the subtlest of tremors. A really gratifying game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cormier
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! So great to read this!!! Thanks for your kind words. We had a ton of fun making it and it took over 10 years for it to finally make it out to the public!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.