1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best two player only games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Brett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Looking for the best two player only games and why you think so. Need help finding good ones to play with the wife.Thanks people. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any theme preferences?
Shorter games vs longer games?
Heavy vs light?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Brett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Light to Mid weight not to heavy. I got sid myers civilization the boardgame for one of my first games and was very intimidating to learn. Got there in the end, but took far too long to learn so I'm shying away from heavy games. 1.5 hrs max
No d&ds or magic. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Brett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Open to most themes. Just want a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiancee is not much of a gamer but she really enjoys games from the Mr Jack series. Especially Le Fantôme de l'Opéra.
Beside that were the Mystery Rummy games a real hit with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colossos colossos
msg tools
Letters from whitechapel

Claustrophobia (dungeon crawler but not difficult at all 45 -60 min)

Mr. jack (short game - 25 min)

Raptor (very short game - 20 min)

I don't know any really good 2 player games that last 1.5 hr and that are not dungeon crawlers. I suppose there are some card (deck building) games out but I just find them boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders Duel is a big hit with lots of players. You build your civilization with cards.

Hanamikoji cute, short game using "I split you choose" mechanic. Japanse (geisha) theme. Elegant rules but deep gameplay. For us, it was the surprise hit of Essen 2016. A real gem!

Jolly & Roger also a game with the "I split you choose" mechanic, but much simpler than the game above. Pirate theme.

If you want something more of a psychological warfare with more tension: 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis Cold War theme.

Patchwork if she likes puzzly games

Good luck, and keep on gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Brett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Is White chapel as old as sherlock holmes :consulting detective? Iyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colossos wrote:

I don't know any really good 2 player games that last 1.5 hr and that are not dungeon crawlers. I suppose there are some card (deck building) games out but I just find them boring.

Fields of Arle - Great great game. But takes about 2 hours (we now need 1.5) Sandboxy Uwe Rosenberg, but maybe a bit heavy

Good short games are:

7 Wonders Duel - great drafting game
Patchwork - Tile laying with a special theme
Targi - Tight Worker placement game with a clever mechanic

My Girlfriend and I enjoy also a lot of games, which are 2-4(5) Player as 2 Player games, so you don't need to go 2-Player only, altough these tend to have smaller boxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Brett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Is white chapel as good as sherlock Holmes consulting detective iyo? I have shcd just haven't played it yet.

What are your thoughts in le havre 2pl version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhNz wrote:
My fiancee is not much of a gamer but she really enjoys games from the Mr Jack series. Especially Le Fantôme de l'Opéra.
Beside that were the Mystery Rummy games a real hit with her.

Yes agreed. Enjoy Le Fantôme de l'Opéra even more than Patchwork and Jaipur. Super underrated.
Kept winning patchwork against my wife and when she won once, we never touched it again. Was alright while it lasted but Blokus excited us more.
Jaipur is OK but it isn't a delightful puzzle to solve.

Le Fantome being assymmetric, allows you to swap roles either being phantom or investigator to extend its replayability. And is tense till the very end. And allows you adjust the level of difficulty for either player. And theres a real whodunnit mystery to solve. Great hidden gem in my book.

The experience you get between SHCD and LoW is different. In SHCD, you are solving a mystery cooperatively or competitively while LoW is a cat and mouse game. Both are well regarded but unique enough to own both.

If you are referring to this 2 player version of Le Havre Le Havre: The Inland Port, yeah I heard good stuff about it but cant comment sadly.
There's Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small as well but it isnt my cup of tea. Not my kind of puzzle to solve also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My SO and I play a lot of two player games. And we do like a little theme or nice artwork to look at. These are some of our favorites:
+1 for Patchwork. Very nice game. And you never lose. The other player may have more buttons (=victory points) but yor quilt looks better

And +1 for Hanamikoji Very very nice art. Plays in 10-15 minutes.

And +1 for 7 Wonders Duel. There's a reason this game is #8 on the boardgamegeek-rank!

We also very much enjoy Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Build your own farm and let it grow. Cute cow-, horse-, sheep- and pig-meeples

Mr. Jack Pocket Nice little deduction game. One player is Sherlock Holmes. The other is Mr. Jack. Helmoes tries to catch Mr. Jack who, on his turn, tries to stay hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Izdebski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are a lot of choices:

Black & White - 2-player only wargame, rules are quite simple for such complex game, should not last longer than 1.5h

Dragonheart - Although it has fantasy theme, it is very quick and fun card game.

Star Realms - Great sci-fi deckbuilder, cheap and really replayable, plus a lot of expansions.

Splendor - One of my personal favorites, almost always willing to play and rules are so simple that I even play it with my mother.

Mr. Jack - Played it once and it looks like something you are looking for.

Hope that helped you a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love Star Wars: Rebellion and The Fog of War, but conflict games may not be your cup of tea.

When my brother and I get together (he lives 4 hours away), Baseball Highlights: 2045 is often involved. I think it may be a hard sell if one party doesn't like baseball, but it is still a really good deckbuilder/tactical card game.

I really liked my recent play of Fight for Olympus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
Bahamas
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from the early reviews, I'd recommend Santorini, which is out in January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Splendor - I think that 30 minute games are great for couples, because you can get a game in before, during, or after dinner- and optionally play more than one game of it when you have the time.

+1 for Patchwork - It's simple rules and short play time like Splendor, but completing your own quilt with the "tetris" pieces is extra satisfying (more so than a tableau, perhaps). Also, women are included in the artwork (as nobles and on the box).

+1 for Star Realms - My wife initially poo-pooed the space artwork (and it's not my favorite artwork either, tbh), but MAN she loves buying up ships. She'll win a game, then pout that she was about to buy that one ship... haha.

For 90 minutes, Concordia is awesome. Few rules, yet lots of choices you get to make. Turns are really fast (except when you're learning the game for the first time). You can make things more expensive for your opponent, but you can't outright BLOCK them, which is nice for couples especially. I also think the board is beautiful. And while the cover is often mocked for its stiff and boring artwork, I do appreciate that it's a (non-overly-sexualized) woman on the cover.

Another great 90 minute option is Castles of Mad King Ludwig. I like how this has both player interaction, and also some "co-solitaire" play. You take turns setting auction prices for pieces (player interaction), and then buy and play them to your castle (solitaire). If you are trying to avoid direct conflict or "take that" in your games, then this kind of set-up is great. I also downloaded the iOS version to my phone, and I have walked around the house looking for my phone, only to find my wife curled up with it playing Castles of Mad King Ludwig, hahaha.

A general recommendation: try/buy one game at a time. Everyone (and every couple) has different tastes and needs. Play one to see what you do and don't like about it, and go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Belšak
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two player games I enjoy the most are:
Jaipur
Patchwork
Kahuna
Lost Cities
Star Realms
Mr. Jack
Tides of Time
Imperial Settlers - it goes up to four, but we play it exclusively 2-player, because of increased downtime with more than 2 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Imperial Settlers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wardlow
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi - great tableau builder / worker placement style game. Not a Wargame, but has direct conflict in placement of workers (Targi, in this instance) and vying for intersections on grid (they are camps in this game). Our FAVORITE 2 player game.

7 Wonders Duel - nice tableau builder with tough choices for card use. Multiple paths to victory. Again, not a Wargame, but there is definitely player conflict with card choices and a FEW "take that" results of card plays.

Dominion - Nice deck builder that has a FEW "take that" cards one can purchase for their deck. However, it has more of a "solitaire" game play style with little downtime for the other player. Nice competitive gameplay with neat card interactions and art work.

Star Wars Rebellion - ~4 hour game which does a great job simulating the first 3 Star Wars movies released (New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi). Really delivers on the theme and each side, Empire and Rebellion, plays completely differently. Much more complex rules and more Wargame-y than the other two above.

Memoir 44 - okay, DEFINITELY a Wargame. However, the rules are easy and each scenario is relatively short. Uses Card Draw from common deck to drive actions of units on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
My wife and I have been playing a lot of Cthulhu Realms, Jaipur and Zombie Dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Brett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I quite liked hive as an abstract has anyone played codinca?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akrotiri - Tile laying plus pick up and deliver. Light-medium weight, plays in an hour or less.

+1 Splendor, 7 Wonders Duel, Patchwork. If you're interested in abstract games, that gives you a lot more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Brett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thankyou everyone for your awesome recommendations. I Will have to get some of these for sure. I saw Sam Healey from the dice tower talking about hanamikoji and it looked cool, but I can't find it anywhere in New Zealand. is it a new game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a casual gamer and we play 2 player a lot. She likes Splendor, Agricola, and Dominion for 2 player just to name a few.

Edit because clearly spelling is not a game I've played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Raptor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.