An Infamous Traffic» Forums » General

Subject: What do do with the pnp files rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Before I buy the pnp files for the game, I'd like to know what I need to do with the board. I can see the size is 56x43 cm but how is it supposed to fold? Which paper size did you use for it?

Does anyone have any experience in making a box for it? If so, how did you do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Mine is in a ziplock bag.

This is a really easy Print 'n Play. A great first project. The map comes on four 8.5 x 11 inch sheets that you set next to each other. There's one sheet of chits that are more or less one sided. (There's a couple of exceptions that can just be made into two chits without affecting gameplay.) You need ten dice, and I'm using corn kernals for my markers until I can get cubes.

The first-player marker is absurdly small so I printed out an arrow from the Internet and made it big enough to be seen a little more easily.

I mounted my chits on adhesive foam sheets from Creatology and cut with scissors. Different colored sheets served as the backs, red for the Prizes, black for Conspiracy, white for general stuff. I couldn't get plain red, so I got sparkly red instead. My prize chits have sparkles on the back!

I mounted my four map sheets on foam as well which is totally unneeded. And I printed second copies of the Legend and the Conspiracy Placement boxes (and mounted them) because they printed across two pages. You can pick them up off the map for easier reading now.

Leaving the map unmounted makes more sense. In fact it's more cost effective and convenient to just print three copies of each sheet and throw away any the get stained or buggered as you play. But I had extra materials so I used them. Makes things look a little plusher.

Total cost came in at $7 in materials and I have leftovers for my next project. So I'm in for $20 total, have a fully functional game with easy-to-pick-up chits. That's one hell of a deal for a game like this that will likely see limited plays and is more about the intellectual aspect than the physical. I wish more games were available like this.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. So does that mean the board is on 4 A4 pages? I have no idea what the standard paper measurements are in inches. I plan to mount it as well and was hoping the board would be in one large file instead of divided into four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It comes in both formats so you can choose. I don't have facilities for large sheet printing but if you do the big image will work better.

I still wouldn't mount it though. Print several copies and throw them in the box.

8.5 x 11 is about 21cm x 28cm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
I still wouldn't mount it though.

Ah, but Morten and I like fancy things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Annowme wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

We do indeed!

The measurements sound like A4 indeed but much better that the full size is there as well. I suppose the file has it sized like it should be when printed. Now I just need to read up on how to make a foldable mounted board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Available for $65 delivered in the U.S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Griffon
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

I wouldn't call the board fancy in the published version
I'd like to be able to print it and build my own mounted board, since I can't really use the provided board cut as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

We do indeed!

The measurements sound like A4 indeed but much better that the full size is there as well. I suppose the file has it sized like it should be when printed. Now I just need to read up on how to make a foldable mounted board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

some people do not live in the US
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

some people do not live in the US

Stop explaining my straight lines!

I know how to do it on the cheap. You may save $100 or more doing it yourself this way. I'm sure you can do better, but I'd spend the $7 first to see if you like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:
I know how to do it on the cheap. You may save $100 or more doing it yourself this way. I'm sure you can do better, but I'd spend the $7 first to see if you like the game.

Sagrilarus, is there any chance you could post a picture of your PnP project? I'm curious to know what it looks like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'll get a couple of snapshots this weekend.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom R
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's some photos I took making my mounted board. This was my first attempt into print and play, and I'm pretty hopeless with this kind of thing. So don't judge me please! As far as I'm concerned, I'm lucky to walk away with all of my fingers, and no damage to my dining room table!

First thing you'll need is a large piece of greyboard:

I used photoshop to split the main map file into 4 equal parts, then printed onto A4 label paper. A3 label paper in two parts would have been better, but my local printing place doesn't have A3 labels unfortunately. I've sprayed these with a matt spray to give them some extra protection. Make sure you do the spray before you stick the labels to the board!

Trimming up the label paper. Your four map pieces should all be the same size now.

Cut the grey board into four pieces the same size as your map pieces.

Checking to see that everything is square and fits ok.

Use fabric tape or book-binders tape to tape the underside of the top left, and bottom left pieces together.

Use double sided tape to on the top left and top right , and the bottom left and bottom right pieces.

The top and bottom sections of the board should now fold independently.

Now is the part i find the most difficult. Sticking the labels to the board. You only get one shot at making sure everything lines up. Remember to peel away the other side of the double sided tape before sticking down the label. There's a couple of Youtube vidoes showing this step, which have a few tricks about applying the labels nice and straight.

And the bottom half:

Getting the seams to line up is the trickiest part

I messed up a little on this sheet, the label doesn't go all the way to the edge. It's not super noticeable in person.

I also did the same for the player boards, but didn't take any photos of that process. the whole process took maybe an hour and a half. If someone like me can do it, i think anyone can.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you, Tom! Why did you split up the file when the the package from Wargame Vault includes files that have split up the board into 4 A¤-sized files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom R
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Thank you, Tom! Why did you split up the file when the the package from Wargame Vault includes files that have split up the board into 4 A¤-sized files?

Simple answer: I didn't buy the PnP edition. I bought the boxed copy. I requested a digital copy of the map from the publisher, who were generous enough to provide it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There's a couple of Youtube vidoes showing this step

Do you have links please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom R
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
Quote:
There's a couple of Youtube vidoes showing this step

Do you have links please?

The video posted above by Jim is the main one i was referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allright. Thanks .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Alright, this is my build. Keep in mind that I'm a 52 year old white male with four kids, with no ego issues on the line or free time that I can't think of better things to do with. So my build criteria are this:

1. Easy.
2. Cheap.
3. Playable.

First of all, my box:

Pretty sweet, eh? I opted to make it out of a high-tech clear polymer satchel with a patented self-sealing single edge for durability and versatility. They come 100 in a box at the supermarket. Small, simple, cheap.

The material I use for pieces is called Creatology. It is soft foam that cuts super-easy with scissors. Self-adhesive on one of the two sides. I buy it at Michael's, I've seen it at Hobby Lobby and online. Here's a shot including the sku:

I print on dirt-cheap paper, stick it, cut it with scissors. There are a dozen rotary cutters in the house that would do a better job (my wife is a hardcore quilter) but I like the scissors because I can sit on the couch and do it watching the TV. I can knock out a chit sheet in about five minutes with Dark Matter playing.

It comes in a bunch of different colors so I can mount different kinds of chits on different colors. I would have gotten the boring red but they were out, so I got sparkly. I pull from chit cups so backs don't matter much but mounting the prizes on red means I don't need to mount the back of the chit -- the foam color IS the back. There's maybe a dozen colors to choose from. I mounted the Conspiracy chits on black, player pieces ended up on leftover white and black since it doesn't matter.

It's lighter than cardboard (weight that is) so it won't tolerate a fan blowing, but that's not a problem for me. It's really easy to pick up a chit with it -- lean on one edge and the other pops up off the table.

Edge on to show thickness --

I've used it for about eight years now and it stays squishy, doesn't get brittle.

The one drawback with the foam is double-sided chits when you actually need them. The only place you "need" them in An Infamous Traffic is the Scions, and I just made two. You can print and mount two and glue them together which makes for big fat chits that look bonzer, but I didn't get around to that. Don't really need to in this game.

The board and the game --

I mounted the map sheets which was a waste, but I had the stuff sitting there and it was done before I knew it. I also made copies of the Legend and the Conspiracy Placement boards since they fell between the pages on the map and I haven't figured out my new laser printer yet (I lost some map on the edges of the pages because I didn't fit to "printable width" apparently. Haven't retried it yet.) Slapped the four map pages on foam, cut the edges, done. Oh -- the big arrow -- first player marker. The one on the chit sheet is absurdly small and hard to read, so I overcompensated.

My materials purchase was $7 and you can see I have a fair amount left over. Cheapest printer paper, maybe 20 pages printed total. I'm in under $20 with the biggest expense being the intellectual property, $13, as it should be. This copy of the game will play as well as anybody else's, and I have money left over to buy me three or four more airplanes for Table Air Combat and have the materials to make them.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mounted each map part indepdently on card and THEN trimmed them carefully. I then discovered the joys of 3M Magic Tape for a hinge on the front side of the map, which is impressively hard to see compared to regular sticky tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.