1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: So Kotaku finally gave us an article... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
And, surprisingly, with accurate information, recent photos from the Kickstarter campaign, an estimate of earnings that isn't goddamned madness, and not a single hint of white knighting in the actual article itself.

http://kotaku.com/fancy-board-game-will-probably-smash-kicks...

The comments thread is a whole 'nother story, however.

Still, glad to see at least one journalist who actually took the time to read the entire Kickstarter page and then compose that information in a non-prejudicial manner.

Good work, Kotaku.

I still loathe you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That site is still running?

The comments are such an abyss of retard shitheads.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Handley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some comments on that site are pretty typical. Whining about pinups, when they are not part of the game.

I never get the reaction of "I've just become a dad and my morality is now totally different and I can't have the game in the house because I now have a daughter".

It like anything else, be it TV, videos, computer games just needs one thing - responsible parenting and boundaries.

And any nudity at all must mean the game is about sex all the time. I'll file that under the fear of women breast feeding in public and the need to airbrush away nipples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junior high and high school kids text each other worse things than anything in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They love their guns and violence in the US but God forbid you see a bit of flesh or *the horror* a nipple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmb
modernlife wrote:
They love their guns and violence in the US but God forbid you see a bit of flesh or *the horror* a nipple!

You're just adding a new -ism by labeling all 300+ million Americans into one category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
journalist

Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huger wrote:
You're just adding a new -ism by labeling all 300+ million Americans into one category.

Was just kidding

As a film geek it's always amused me that violence is generally seen as acceptable in the US but a little nudity causes an uproar whereas here in the UK (Europe?) it's the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
IASeldon wrote:
journalist

Haha

Look, at least this one had a new photo and actually took the time to read the scheduled wave shipping. Every other asshat who's written about us so far jumps right to the "Delivery 2020" and then suffers some kind of goddamned stroke.

So I'll humor him with a title,

...he'll probably write a follow-up in which that title gets revoked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
dr_ether wrote:
Some comments on that site are pretty typical. Whining about pinups, when they are not part of the game.

I never get the reaction of "I've just become a dad and my morality is now totally different and I can't have the game in the house because I now have a daughter".

It like anything else, be it TV, videos, computer games just needs one thing - responsible parenting and boundaries.

And any nudity at all must mean the game is about sex all the time. I'll file that under the fear of women breast feeding in public and the need to airbrush away nipples.

I wonder if their minds would collapse if we reminded them that women can see themselves naked in a mirror?

Mind-....-BLOWN!

Agreed, though. Goddamned stupid mentality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand not liking the game, but a homie in the comments said it's a bad game and he owns all the expansions. More money than sense is alive and well. I guess it works cause it enables me getting more stuff so I'll take it.

Side note: Truly bizzare to see an alright Kotaku article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The article isn't accurate when it says exploding kittens record will likely only hold for another few days. There's always the possibility of pledges going down before the end of the campaign, so exploding kittens record won't be beat by KD:M for another 40 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Bookswinters wrote:
The article isn't accurate when it says exploding kittens record will likely only hold for another few days. There's always the possibility of pledges going down before the end of the campaign, so exploding kittens record won't be beat by KD:M for another 40 days.

...A Witch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gross, it smells like fedora in here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookswinters wrote:

It hinges on their assessment of "at this rate." If you average it out, they are making a million dollars per day -- but that's a pretty naive way to look at the data. If we look at at the numbers more carefully...

Date Funding
Nov 25 4,125
Nov 26 510
Nov 27 284
Nov 28 342
Nov 29 178 (halfway through the day)

If we wanted to talk about a "rate," I'd feel a lot better about a linear (and slightly conservative) 4.1 + 0.35/day, in which case Exploding Kitten's 8.8 million will be another 9 days away.

That said, you're right: there's always the possibility that the campaign suffers setbacks or crashes. (The latest Shadows of Brimstone started off with two strong days, then cratered and limped along for weeks.) Nothing guarantees progress here.

Perhaps KDM's campaign, with such a phenomenal start, might show slower gains per day. Millions of dollars in day-one all-in pledges might lead to fewer incremental increases mid-campaign, because people who'd be throwing in another $50 or $200 as add-ons are announced are sitting back, already capped out. It's also a really long campaign, so there's plenty of time for people to get bored or distracted over the holidays and pull funding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I would expect to see at least a few spikes as people add on new expansions that get released throughout the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tharbkrakens wrote:
I would expect to see at least a few spikes as people add on new expansions that get released throughout the campaign.

I'm just waiting till the end to add on funds for everything ala carte... No reason to keep messing with my pledge daily until January 6th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
What the hell is Kotaku?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Junior high and high school kids text each other worse things than anything in this game.

I've never seen a child crawl out of a bird's asshole so I'm not sure this is strictly the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
tumorous wrote:
Bookswinters wrote:

It hinges on their assessment of "at this rate." If you average it out, they are making a million dollars per day -- but that's a pretty naive way to look at the data. If we look at at the numbers more carefully...

Date Funding
Nov 25 4,125
Nov 26 510
Nov 27 284
Nov 28 342
Nov 29 178 (halfway through the day)

If we wanted to talk about a "rate," I'd feel a lot better about a linear (and slightly conservative) 4.1 + 0.35/day, in which case Exploding Kitten's 8.8 million will be another 9 days away.

That said, you're right: there's always the possibility that the campaign suffers setbacks or crashes. (The latest Shadows of Brimstone started off with two strong days, then cratered and limped along for weeks.) Nothing guarantees progress here.

Perhaps KDM's campaign, with such a phenomenal start, might show slower gains per day. Millions of dollars in day-one all-in pledges might lead to fewer incremental increases mid-campaign, because people who'd be throwing in another $50 or $200 as add-ons are announced are sitting back, already capped out. It's also a really long campaign, so there's plenty of time for people to get bored or distracted over the holidays and pull funding.

The campaign has already doubled Poot's anticipated commitment so even if half the people back out it won't have a huge impact on the content offered. But I would definitely guess it will taper off soon. Its getting external press like this, which will drive some pledges, and I bet there will be more around the holidays as people get Xmas money. But even if things even out quickly its still a huge win for KD and the community.

The thing that concerns me the most is the fact that all these new pledgers have little to no context around the issues with the first Kickstarter. I'm guessing that there will be a lot of frustrated people if things get delayed. Poots did a better job setting expectations this time regarding delivery, but in the end I'm sure it will be extremely contentious and volatile as delivery progresses... You should have to take an asshole test before you pledge on Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jpancier wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

I've never seen a child crawl out of a bird's asshole so I'm not sure this is strictly the case.

You need to get out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:
What the hell is Kotaku?

So anyone want to fill me in? I feel like a dag not knowing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe - Kickstarter is full of people who complain about anything. I prefer to just pledge and forget about it anymore. I get enough stress from work to have to get annoyed at reading kickstarter comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
What the hell is Kotaku?

So anyone want to fill me in? I feel like a dag not knowing.

Video game website...which makes the comment section so ironic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
Joe - Kickstarter is full of people who complain about anything. I prefer to just pledge and forget about it anymore. I get enough stress from work to have to get annoyed at reading kickstarter comments.

I hear you there. It does seem to take a toll on the developers in general, though. There's no avoiding it, but it's a little disgusting to me. I just need to not Internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.