Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all. I'm looking for some inspiration, if anyone can spare some...

One of my back-burner projects, which I have just reopened the file on, is a game that is based on an "ice-breaker" activity that you might come across in environments like training courses or theatre workshops. The idea is that participants introduce themselves along with a fact about themselves that the others must try to remember. My working title is "My Name Is..."

In the game, the "facts" are provided by a deck of cards, most of which have things like "I love X" or "I hate Y" on them. The main mechanism is that on your turn you flip a card, add it to the growing stack in front of you, and announce what you love or hate, as well as identifying anyone who has already declared an opinion on the same subject.

So, something like: "Hi, my name is Rob, and I love vegetables, unlike my good friend Betsy, who hates them."

The rest of the game is challenging people when they make a mistake, and special cards that force you to change your mind on everything you have in your stack, just to cause additional chaos.

Playtesting so far has revealed that the "best" subjects for cards are ones which come in pairs of similar items, as this adds to confusion as people try to remember which of the two similar items someone had an opinion on (as well as what it was). The problem is that right now my brain is hitting a wall on suitable items. Right now I am playtesting with a 54 card deck, with only 8 subjects in, but this may expand later.

Anyway, if you have read this far, my sincere thanks. Can you think of good pairs of subjects to fit into the game, please?

The pairs I have so far are:

dogs - cats
fruit - vegetables
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
men - women
bicycles - motorcycles
pancakes - waffles
mountains - hills
coffee - tea
cities - towns
gardens - meadows
thunder - lightning
horses - ponies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:

The pairs I have so far are:

dogs - cats
fruit - vegetables

I like John's suggestions too.

Other things...

Beef-fish (or beef-chicken)
Tree-bush
Brick-rock
Umbrella-rain

Give this site a look: http://game-icons.net/ You may "see" items you can pair together, then you could even have a different set of cards....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John and Eric for your suggestions. A big help.

jbrecken wrote:
men - women

"My name is Bob, and I hate women" sauron shake

Hmm, I might not use that one. But thanks for all the suggestions. Coffee and tea sounds perfect, and several others would also work.

govmiller wrote:
Give this site a look: http://game-icons.net/ You may "see" items you can pair together, then you could even have a different set of cards....

I use game-icons.net all the time; it's a great site. But that's a use for it that hadn't occurred to me, browsing it for word inspiration. Thanks for the suggestion.

See, this is why I come here: you people are so much sharper than I am.

Thanks again, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
Thanks John and Eric for your suggestions. A big help.

jbrecken wrote:
men - women

"My name is Bob, and I hate women" sauron shake

Hmm, I might not use that one. But thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks again, guys.

I almost suggested sheep and goats, but did consider that "My name is fred and I love sheep" might be misinterpreted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
The main mechanism is that on your turn you flip a card, add it to the growing stack in front of you, and announce what you love or hate...

You could go beyond just love/hate; it would give you more options for pairs of things.

I am awake/asleep
I drive a car/truck
My shirt is red/green*

*a bit of humor is good for ice-breaking too if Bob happens to be wearing a blue shirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenn J
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fiction - nonfiction
wine - beer
fruit - chocolate
sketching - coloring
football - basketball
skiing - surfing
going out - staying in
movies - tv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
You could go beyond just love/hate; it would give you more options for pairs of things.

I am awake/asleep
I drive a car/truck
My shirt is red/green*

*a bit of humor is good for ice-breaking too if Bob happens to be wearing a blue shirt.

Oooh! Now that is an approach I hadn't thought of, so huge thanks for that. I could easily make up an alternate deck using concepts like those and see how things go in practice.

The only potential problem I can see with this idea is having an equivalent for the "I changed my mind" card, which works well when we have opposites (like love/hate), but would need rethinking (or dropping? that would be a shame, but might be worth it) if we switch to more generic "facts" rather than opinions.

Many thanks for this, it has got me thinking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jennj wrote:
fiction - nonfiction
wine - beer
fruit - chocolate
sketching - coloring
football - basketball
skiing - surfing
going out - staying in
movies - tv

That's a good selection there. A pair of different sports (especially -ball ones) looks like a good one.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so here's what I am going with for my next iteration...

For each subject, there are three "love" cards and three "hate", along with six "I've changed my mind" cards to make a convenient 54 card deck...

fruit
vegetables
cats
dogs
coffee
tea
football
basketball

And I have several good other options to expand with later thanks to you fine people. I will also see if I can work out a good way to play with Stephanie's great idea as well and if I can figure it out I'll try making a deck based on that concept too.

I will be at a playtest event as part of Dragonmeet in London this weekend and will be testing this game, so I really appreciate the help here. Fingers crossed for getting some good test data...

Thanks, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.