Popular Tags: [View All]
Akash Swain
India
New Delhi
New Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all and thanks in advance for your patience through some rather run of the mill queries.

I've always been very excited about miniatures games and thoroughly enjoy Zombicide: Black Plague and Star Wars: Armada. However, I have never owned a miniatures game requiring assembly before. Also, I live in New Delhi where acquiring basic supplies like cutters, primers and paints can be expensive, and so I do not plan on painting my miniatures in the foreseeable future.

Before I convince myself to pay up a small fortune for the impending release this weekend, I had a few questions:

1. How tough is it to assemble these miniatures?
2. Are the miniatures sturdy enough to withstand a newbie and a mild case of the thumbs?
3. Should I also throw in the fine detail cutters, mouldline removers into the order? What else would I need?
4. How many packs of plastic glue would I require?

At the risk of opening up a pandora's box, but given that this will be a significant investment, I hope you'll permit me to ask if there are any major reasons I should defer from acquiring what looks like a most excellent game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Labarque
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. These mini's are very easy to assemble. Each mini consist of a couple of pieces maximum. You can't compare them to regular Warhammer 40K kits, where each mini is often made up from 10 or 12 pieces.
2. Well, some of extra bling on the mini's is on the fragile side. By bling I mean pendants and such.
3. fine detail cutters: yes, mouldline remover: no. I use a hobby knife with removable blades. This tool is more versatile and can reach into smaller places to remove mould lines.
4. One bottle of revell plastic glue should suffice.
Get this one:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One warning regarding the first question. All parts fit like a glove. If they don't, step back and examine your work. Chances are you mixed up (some of the parts look incredibly alike). Pay attention to the diameter of the pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially the Genestealers. The halves of the ones that aren't climbing the walls or breaking through the floor are very similar, but specific in how they go together. They wont fit well if they get mixed up. BTW, the minis fit tightly and don't really even need glue (though I recommend it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Space Hulk was the first miniature assembly I ever had to do. I was stressed throughout putting it together, but I did get it together without any issues. These are easy figures like that. To make things easier, cut off and assemble figures one at a time to avoid mixing parts up.

Also, when Filip says "one bottle of glue should suffice" he means that one bottle of glue will easily serve you for ten copies of Space Hulk if need be. Less is more when gluing miniatures together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These weren't difficult to assemble (4th edition) but they were harder than the 1st edition which were really easy. The 4th edition ones don't always stay standing up though because their arty bases are sometimes narrow.

The hardest I've every assembled were AVP's minis. Then probably Mercs Recon (though the keyed limbs helped). Then Shadows of Brimstone. Compared to those, these weren't too hard.

I've used all kinds of paints including water based acrylic hobby paints from my local craft store. They worked fine and were cheap. The actual gamer hobby paints are much more expensive and I use those too (like the bottles better).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
These weren't difficult to assemble (4th edition) but they were harder than the 1st edition which were really easy. The 4th edition ones don't always stay standing up though because their arty bases are sometimes narrow.

That was only 27 years ago.

The Genestealers stay standing up pretty well. The Terminators can be a challenge. But, man are those Terminators beautiful! And, oh, so ornate. Years later, I was still finding unpainted purity seals. The good news is you can always go back later (like, REALLY later) and add more detail or highlights. Mine are the best things I've ever painted. They ought to be, I've been messing with them for 7 years. Try finding other miniatures that give you seven years of hobby activities.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A piece of great advice I'll reiterate: work on one figure at a time, taking its pieces off the sprue, look at a picture of that figure assembled, snap the pieces together to match.

They do fit tightly, you could probably skip the glue, but as mentioned using a little is better.

I do suggest getting a cutter to remove the pieces from the sprue, whether you get the expensive GW one, or a cheaper (but just as good version) doesn't matter. What matters is it will allow you to more easily remove the pieces with less chance of damage.

Good luck! It is a fun game and this edition's figures are really nice, as is the artwork on the tiles and other components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon ike
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agree with what everyone has said.
Just wanted to chime in and say what an awesome game this is and that is definitely is worth the investment! This is a GW classic and has set the golden standard for all 40k board games.

Minis can be fragile as others have explained.
In her first game my wife ripped the arm off a Terminator. I think it was Brother Noctis the pointer. She was almost in tears because she thought I magnetized the arms like my other terminators.
Anyways little bit of glue and good as new!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some wife you have if she can rip the arms off a Terminator...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akash Swain
India
New Delhi
New Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for all the helpful and warm inputs from everyone. I appreciate it very much and will look forward to trying my hand at miniature painting in the future. Maybe one day I'll chime in to someone else's query about the game when the next print run happens in 7 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two last things:

1) Be very damn kind to a wife who can rip the arm off a Terminator!surprise
2) Not all minis are easy to prime and paint AFTER assembly. These are.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon ike
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Some wife you have if she can rip the arms off a Terminator...

If you think that's bad you should see her rending claws.

badum..dum...tshhh
ok I'll get my coat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jon has left the building...wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
jon has left the building...wow

Pursued by his wife ...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was stressed throughout putting it together,

Stressed! Eeesh!!! The assembly part is half the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Quote:
I was stressed throughout putting it together,

Stressed! Eeesh!!! The assembly part is half the fun.

Yeah. Who doesn't enjoy that new glue smell?shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
I've never liked punching cardboard bits and assembling minis is 100x worse than that. At best it's not fun. At worst I wreck something expensive. At least Space Hulk didn't have any weapon options or posing.

Weird how people like different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.