9 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: i've pledged for Silver Lantern - what do I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Carter
Ireland
flag msg tools

just to state at the outset, I have waded through the Kickstarter, the Kickstarter comments and the forum here and can't find an answer...

my understanding is that the upgrade pack includes new rulebook, cards etc etc to upgrade the existing base game to 1.5... okay, so a bunch of new cards and a spiffy new rulebook...but um 195 for all of that seems like a LOT

plus... gambler's chest..but one of the early "reveals" on this was the Dragon expansion reprint... and I already have the Dragon...

so does anyone know what owners of the 1.0 game will receive with Silver Lantern (and, just to repeat, I have searched and maybe I'm an idiot but I can't find the answer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Street
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
You are right about the upgrade pack - this will contain the bits necessary to upgrade to 1.5 from the first set.

The gambler's chest has only had a few bits revealed so far. A couple of models and an advanced rules section called the philosophy of death. The dragon isn't included in it, not sure where you got that from.

There is also the expansion, the first hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You get the update + the Gambler's chest + The First hero expansion as advertised.

The gambler's chest has only 5 items revealed among 32 ones.
So the value is in the 27 other things that are included in the gambler's chest but not revealed yet.
When everything is revealed, you can expect it to be worth 100$.

Moreover, you don't know yet what the additions of the 1.5 upgrade are.
You know about some cards, you know about the rulebook. But you also know about the new epilogue with an extended 5 lantern years AND the new final boss.
And still, there are 5 other new changes in the update pack that are not revealed yet.
When everything is revealed you can expect it to be worth 60$.
The rulebook alone is worth 40$ so, with the new boss, you are already above the 60$ and still, you can expect 5 other new features in the days to come.

So, you can't evaluate the pledge according to what has been revealed so far, as you seem to forget that there are still things to be revealed which also add to the value of the pledge.

Nobody knows what will be revealed (that's how unrevealed things work ;-)

Granted that you pledge for something you don't know about but you can easily guess that you will have something worth your investment: an update pack (60$) + a gambler's chest (100$) + a First hero expansion (35$)= 195$

The reason someone would choose this pledge?
If you need an update pack, if you want the FH expansion and if you also want a box containing a load of small to medium addition to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just getting updated cards, gold Smoke Knight, and some new gear makes the upgrade pack worth it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Advanced rules in Gamblers is probably worth half the price of that pledge alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Carter
Ireland
flag msg tools

thanks - yes i'm keeping up to date with the other thread but i do appreciate you indulging me... it has clarified a few things... or at least clarified what is clarified and what isn't... (this kickstarter is starting to feel like the most recent episode of Westworld)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
If you have any more regarding the kickstarter please check and use the following thread. It makes it a lot easier for everyone to keep it all in one place.

Please keep any further posts like this one to yourself instead of spamming everyone's threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Styfen wrote:
If you have any more regarding the kickstarter please check and use the following thread. It makes it a lot easier for everyone to keep it all in one place.

Please keep any further posts like this one to yourself instead of spamming everyone's threads.

You're right, of course. It's clearly more desirable to spam up the boards with new posts for topics that already exist.

-----------------------

OP, if you only want the upgrade pack, you can pledge at the $60 level (lantern upgrade). As mentioned, the gambler's chest (which will have things revealed slowly over the remainder of the campaign) and the first hero expansion are what add the additional cost to the silver lantern pledge.

As for the value for the upgrade pack, I think it's a pretty good deal all things considered. We don't know the full scope (there's still 5 more changes to reveal as of this writing) but already there's a new hardcover rule book (40 bucks on its own), a 5 year campaign extension with a new boss (miniature + 50 cards) which any way you cut it takes you over the 60 bucks for the upgrade pack already (this is comparable to some of the smaller expansions at 60 bucks a pop retail). There's also oxidized weapons (which definitely come with gear cards and I'd be surprised if there wasn't additional plastic with that) and at least 1 new fighting art. Furthermore, it hasn't been revealed yet, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a replacement card for the updated butcher hit location and the Survival of the Fittest cards and the updated lantern hoard settlement location that have already been revealed prior to the kickstarter.

Gambler's chest value is pretty much unknown. Most individual figures sell for what, $25 on the store? Right now there's 4 figures revealed (2 narrative sculptures, sci-fi Aya and nightmare Adam) and a new mechanic, so I feel confident you're getting your $100's worth there considering there's still 28(?) more things to reveal.

As for the first hero expansion, MSRP is currently listed at $70, which doesn't look too out of line given the cost of other expansions. It comes with 5 miniatures, a bunch of gear cards, 80 game cards and some other stuff.

$195 does seem like a lot, but you'd be paying an awful lot more if you were buying this stuff at retail (and who knows, maybe not everything in that gambler's chest will even be available at retail). Up to you if you want it or not though. Like I said, if all you want is the upgrade kit you can get it at a third the price. Those $60 pledges aren't limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.