Subject: Playing trait cards: where exactly do they go? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are trait cards played face down on top of the trait card that they replace, or are they played to a free spot in that particular species's tableau even if the species already has four trait cards?

Can I play a "Carnivore" card for a species that already has the carnivore trait (as a bluff)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules say that you can discard a trait at any time during your Play Cards phase.
So if you want to replace a trait, you need to discard it first.

And yes, you can bluff as you describe. This move is also nice with Fat tissue – replace a full Fat tissue and fill it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool, but why would you replace a full fat tissue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To score the food on the card immediately and be able to fill the new fat tissue again (fun on a 6-6 carnivore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n. n.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about this yesterday - good move indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Poal
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say when you discard the full fat tissue, the stored food is put back in the food bank. Food on fat tissue is only eaten before you reveal the food cards and only eaten food goes to your food bag. So that would be a waste of the stored food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the food on Fat Tissue is already eaten. It's just not been "processed" (for lack of a better term) yet. Moving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ALL of the food you eat, you score.
as long as you are not playing with Flight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n. n.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Covered by the rules:

Quote:
"Any food remaining on this card is placed in that player’s Food Token Bag when the trait is discarded, the species goes Extinct, or at the end of the game." (p. 12, Fat Tissue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that is a wicked move with Fat Tissue. I knew there was a reason why I liked big (wildebeest) butts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Man, that is a wicked move with Fat Tissue. I knew there was a reason why I liked big (wildebeest) butts.

I hope your not lying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NorthStarGamesBruce wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

I hope your not lying.

You better not deny it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
And yes, you can bluff as you describe. This move is also nice with Fat tissue – replace a full Fat tissue and fill it again.

You can also replace Fat Tissue on the last round of the game if it is already full of food since it will not bring in any extra points. That often takes people by surprise (like Ambush or Climbing) or just helps feed your peeps (cooperation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CRC

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't mean to turn this into a fat tissue thread but if you were to replace a full FT card with a new one, but were no longer hungry (pop has been fed), would you then be able to eat 3 more times to fill new FT card? Could you keep doing this in the same turn if you had multiple FT cards in your hand i.e. replace already played FT, fill new, replace that one with new FT, fill that one, etc..

Hopefully the answer is no, because I can see that leading to a whole lot of griefing. 6 pop carnivore with FT card eat 9x then replaces card and eats 3x more ? And if they have intelligence and can negate things like Hard Shell and Horns ...... yeesh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bomanic wrote:
Don't mean to turn this into a fat tissue thread but if you were to replace a full FT card with a new one, but were no longer hungry (pop has been fed), would you then be able to eat 3 more times to fill new FT card? Could you keep doing this in the same turn if you had multiple FT cards in your hand i.e. replace already played FT, fill new, replace that one with new FT, fill that one, etc..

Hopefully the answer is no, because I can see that leading to a whole lot of griefing. 6 pop carnivore with FT card eat 9x then replaces card and eats 3x more ? And if they have intelligence and can negate things like Hard Shell and Horns ...... yeesh!

You can only replace the FT card (as well as any other card) during the "Play Cards" phase. Feeding is another phase so the answer is no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
[q="beri2"]You can also replace Fat Tissue on the last round of the game if it is already full of food since it will not bring in any extra points. That often takes people by surprise (like Ambush or Climbing) or just helps feed your peeps (cooperation).

It's certainly caught me by surprise whilst reading this! I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying that food on fat tissue doesn't score you points at the end of the game? I thought it did, e.g. the rulebook says:

Quote:

Any food remaining on this card is placed in that player’s Food Token Bag when the trait is discarded, the species goes Extinct, or at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what he meant is that if the Fat Tissue is already full of food, then leaving it on for the last round will not give you any extra capacity for food. So you can replace the at Tissue with another trait and bank the points immediately, instead of waiting to bank the points at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.