Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

my wife recently took to Hearthstone (on the iPad) and now wants to try a deck builder face to face with me. We usually play the heavier eurogames together, so this is a little bit of a detour.

Some criteria:
*Not Dominion. We used to own this and none of us like it. Too bland presentation and it just did not click.
*Aesthetics are important. Cards need to be pretty. Fantasy is good, SciFi less so. In general we do not like Manga art.
*We are not interested in designing "killer decks", so any games where designing your deck before you start playing is important, is of less interest to us.

Currently looking into Valley of the Kings, seems to be a solid and small package. Anything else I should be looking at? Star Realms looks interesting but is SciFi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
Hi,

my wife recently took to Hearthstone (on the iPad) and now wants to try a deck builder face to face with me. We usually play the heavier eurogames together, so this is a little bit of a detour.

Some criteria:
*Not Dominion. We used to own this and none of us like it. Too bland presentation and it just did not click.
*Aesthetics are important. Cards need to be pretty. Fantasy is good, SciFi less so. In general we do not like Manga art.
*We are not interested in designing "killer decks", so any games where designing your deck before you start playing is important, is of less interest to us.

Currently looking into Valley of the Kings, seems to be a solid and small package. Anything else I should be looking at? Star Realms looks interesting but is SciFi...

It seems you're confusing deck building games and games where you build your deck prior to playing against an opponent.

Hearthstone is not a building game, but a game where you build a deck, your opponent builds a deck, and then you play together.

Dominion is a game where each player builds a deck at the same time, and there's no other part to the game.

Hero Realms is what you're looking for. In this fantasy-themed, deckbuilding game, both players start with the same deck and take turns buying cards and trying to inflict damage to their opponent.

If you want a game where you build a deck before playing, then you could try, from the same developpers, Epic Card Game, which feels closer to Hearthstone. In this game, you are given a pool of cards from which you select those who want to build your deck with.
Once you're done, you face your opponent using creatures and spells that you pay with the resource you receive each turn.

Hope this helps. Both games are cheap, play fast, and play strong. The cards are very powerful, which make these two games quite entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is reimplemented as Hero Realms, which is essentially the same game but with a fantasy theme. I love the game with 2 players and would certainly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Valley of the Kings.

I'd also suggest Flip City and Helionox: The Last Sunset (the latter is sci-fi but the art is really good and it's a great fast paced game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms, nice medieval fantasy theme. Deckbuilding with a lot of direct conflict. It reimplements Star Realms, which has a space theme, but also a free app.

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game (and all it's expansions). Deckbuilding without direct conflict. Fantasy theme. Art could be better. You can try the app for this game for free.

Tyrants of the Underdark Deckbuilder with a board! The cards give you abbilities to control sites on the boards. Fantasy (D&D) theme. Looking at the box cover, I don't know if I would have bought this game myself. But it was given to me by my secret santa on BBG. And boy, what a good choise that was. Excellent game with smooth play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Bolger wrote:
Hi,

Some criteria:

It seems you're confusing deck building games and games where you build your deck prior to playing against an opponent.

Yes, I am ! Deck building is of interest though, so at least I got that right. Thanks for fixing my mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 'Deck Construction', I highly recommend Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. It uses a dice-as-resources mechanic which subtly changes the feel of the game from who-has-the-biggest-hammer to more of a fencing match where sometimes its best to wait for the other player to exhaust their resources before you strike.

For competitive 'Deckbuilding' may I suggest Eminent Domain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, the best (and most thematic) deck-builder out there is Thunderstone: Advance. It takes the basic concepts of a deckbuilder, but gives you a great fantasy theme... and a "purpose"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Malmfjord
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
Get dice masters best 1v1 game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Odysseus3 wrote:
IMHO, the best (and most thematic) deck-builder out there is Thunderstone: Advance. It takes the basic concepts of a deckbuilder, but gives you a great fantasy theme... and a "purpose"!

Absolutely true. Unfortunately, it's also out of print and CRAZY expensive right now. There's a third edition coming out...some time.

Also, if you're at all interested in the theme and setting, Marvel: Legendary or any of the Legendary Encounters games (Alien, Predator or Firefly) are fun, thematic cooperative deckbuilders which are pretty much the opposite of Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, But if you usually play the heavy euros try Orléans. A nice euro pool-builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
I enjoy Arctic Scavengers a lot but I am worried that you won't like the theme.
It has some nice mechanics that differ from your standard deck building game and is a bit heavier than Hero Realms or Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Games like:
Android: Netrunner
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

are game where you can build a deck and then use it against your opponent, is cool because it's relatively cheap since there are not CCG (collectable card game)

They can be played out of the box or you can buold a deck and THEN try with your opponent

Hearthstone is a CCG, means you buy pack of card, to expand your collection.
For example other mainstream CCG, Yughioh, Pokemon, and the best (for me) in my younger years is

Magic: The Gathering -> This game has a a lot of mechanincs and a lot of play, but is the most satisfying game that I played, at a big cost

Games like dominion is Deck building game, which you build while you play. The best is obviosuly dominion for me. But it doesn't share Anything with hearthstone. Dominion you build your strategy little by little, in hearthstone you have a deck that has a strategy (for example the Grim patron deck /eg combo deck, or midrange druid) and you use the card you draw at the best for your strategy.

Also if you like hearhtstone, consider something like mage wars and mage wars arena (is a game where you have a spellbook (deck)) but creatures moves on a board like chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Hero Realms

We really like it as couple game and even tho I'm the one who doesn't dig fantasy themes in our relationship, I really like the pretty fantasy artwork in Hero Realms. And if you're getting tired of going against each other, there's also a co-op campaign expansion coming early next year. :)

I definitely wouldn't recommend Mage Wars tho - it's pretty heavy on the deck construction part and has LOTS of dice rolling - not something we eurogamers tend to enjoy. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Grand14 wrote:

That's actually a good idea, since it's both and a deckbuilding game and a game where you need to build your deck beforehand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand14 wrote:

I found it to be merely okay. The fact that it is collectible doesn't help either.

Very low level construction and no in game building, but Summoner Wars is fantasy based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Motherload has some deck building as does Trains. In each case the deck building is a means of manipulating the board state. Motherload has a scifi context.

Edit: As a more straight ahead deck builder, I like Nightfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrel McLaughlin
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Valley of the Kings.
Valley of the Kings is a great game. It's the game I keep in my backpack in case I get a random chance to play games.
Trains is also a great game. It's the deck builder that gets played the most at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thanks for all the suggestions. As we are not so keen on the "preparing the deck" part, I do not think Android:Netrunner is what I am looking for this time. My wife likes everything about Hearthstone, except that part. So pre-built decks would be of much more interest. We are not interested in collectible games either.

The concept of building the deck while playing is of even more interest though, so games like Hero Realms and Valley of the Kings are at the top of my list just now.

Some of the Euros mentioned above, which include deck building as one of several mechanisms, we already have and enjoy. Orleans and Mombasa are two games we like quite a bit.

The major problem I am having now is that Hero Realms is not really available over here. It is "on the way". So while waiting for that game, Valley of the Kings might be the best choice. Still reading up though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ashes. It's a pretty game. Also nice is Mystic Vale which has some beautiful nature driven themes.

For a euro that might scratch the card engine itch... look for London. Don't think it's in print but you might find a copy. It's a lot of fun and super underrated IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
+1 for Ashes. It's a pretty game. Also nice is Mystic Vale which has some beautiful nature driven themes.

For a euro that might scratch the card engine itch... look for London. Don't think it's in print but you might find a copy. It's a lot of fun and super underrated IMO.

Thanks for thinking "out of the box". London we actually played and enjoyed when it came out. Not in the collection any more though, we tire of most games fairly quickly, but it was good fun while it lasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised nobody mentioned it yet, Seasons. Card drafting versus deck-building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Surprised nobody mentioned it yet, Seasons. Card drafting versus deck-building.

I love Seasons, but hate it as a 2 player game. It's worth a try anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a simple but fun deckbuilder, try Flip City. My wife and I have played it quite a bit.

For a combination of deckbuilding and meaningful board play, I strongly recommend Trains: Rising Sun. It's both a standalone game, and an expansion to Trains, with the advantage of having boards that are designed principally for 2-players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Soares
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale of Merchants fits your criteria, it's pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.