Subject: My House Rules For a Fighting Chance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cain M
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
I love this game but it's particularly soul-crushing to always be denied a victory, especially when you consider yourself and your friends to be pretty smart and good team players.

So we implemented some modified rules and since then we've actually been winning some of the games.

What are your thoughts on these?

Please don't post about how even when losing, the game is fun etc. I agree but also disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a decent, easier variation. I especially like your collection of eldritch tokens to trade in for some benefit. I don't understand having only blue Mythos cards in stage 1 however. That could be a lot of rumors popping up one after another depending on how many cards are in that particular A.O.'s stage 1. No, I wouldn't touch that.

Also, I suppose you tried the easy variant listed in the game's rules itself, i.e. removing the hard (tentacled) Mythos cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, where's the challenge here?

I remember: In our first games, we lost nine times in a row against Yig. But in the tenth game, we kicked his ass so hard, we still talk about that game and that was three years ago! Oh boy, that felt good!!!

If you have experience in the game, you'll likely have win-loss ratio of 50:50 when playing the RAW, depending on the old one. Sounds fair to me meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant could lead to a greater percentage in victories which is what you are looking to do and I'm glad it's working.

That said, after trying to implement house rules for a better and more frequent path to victory I found it not as satisfying, but that's my opinion for myself.

Also, I'm pretty sure there will be folks who'll reply that they have a very good (or near perfect) winning percentage without house rules and that the base game is too easy for them. Whatever. LOL.

Lastly, it's fun to play Eldritch Horror win or lose but again, that's just my opinion for me.

LOVE THIS GAME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cain M
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
GermanTodd wrote:
Sounds like a decent, easier variation. I especially like your collection of eldritch tokens to trade in for some benefit. I don't understand having only blue Mythos cards in stage 1 however. That could be a lot of rumors popping up one after another depending on how many cards are in that particular A.O.'s stage 1. No, I wouldn't touch that.

Also, I suppose you tried the easy variant listed in the game's rules itself, i.e. removing the hard (tentacled) Mythos cards?

No I didn't see that. I thought the blue Mythos cards were easier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
thecainman wrote:
GermanTodd wrote:

Regardless of color, Mythos cards have either tentacles, nothing, or snowflakes as ornament, and this means that that particular card is hard, normal or easy respectively. You can better up your winning chances by specifically selecting the "snowflake Mythos cards" meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow. I can see wanting to adjust the game difficulty, but leave some challenge in there. Any one of these rules would make it easier, but taken en masse... damn!

thecainman wrote:

Except for this one. Blue Mythos cards—rumors—are the hardest ones, typically. The overall difficulty of a mythos card, compared to others of the same type, is judged by whether there are crystals, nothing, or tentacles coming in from the sides, which are easy, normal, and hard, respectively. (At least, that's what they're supposed to be. There are a few cards that we think they misjudged.) The blue/green/yellow determine the type of card effect—rumor, monster surge, or gate spawn, respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like these variants. As a casual player of the game I am not interested in gaming the system to win, e.g. by picking just the right combination of characters to match each particular Old One. In fact I am mainly in it for the theme. And before people say losing is part of the theme here, I wouldn't even mind that too much but it still has to be fun. For me this game is usually just a continuous series of things going wrong and not being able to do anything about it. So I will look forward to giving some of these a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
I've played a few games where successes are on a 4+ instead of a 5+. Makes for an easier time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thecainman wrote:
especially when you consider yourself and your friends to be pretty smart and good team players.

So we implemented some modified rules and since then we've actually been winning some of the games.

What are your thoughts on these?

My thoughts is that the house rules are too extreme and would take away most of the challenge of the game.

If you and your game group are indeed really smart and good team players, with experience you should be able to improve your strategy and achieve a high win rate without going to such extreme measures.

Some thoughts of how to do that:
- Watch youtube playthroughs of EH that ended up winning, and analyse the strategies they used and how they did things differently
- Coordinate. At the start of each turn, do a recap of what are the main priorities (rumours, mysteries, gates) and discuss who is best placed to focus on which priorities. Don't have each investigator going off doing their own thing.
- Buy assets early and often, taking bank loans more often than not. If by the end of the game you don't struggle to fit all your assets/spells/stuff around your investigator sheet, you are doing something wrong
- Play to the strengths of each investigator. Have strong characters fighting monsters, characters with high Lore/Will closing gates, high observation getting clues, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
These seem a bit extreme. I'm not sure what your typical game looks like.

Which expansions, if any? If you're just playing the base game, look up the focus action from Strange Remnants and implement it using proxy tokens.

How many players? If it's an odd number of players I'd suggest using the revised/variant reference cards list on Fantasy Flight's website. 4 or 8 investigators seem to be the easiest when playing with the default reference cards.

If put in a rule specifically to deal with the mythos card (All for nothing?) that has you shuffle back in a completed mystery I'd suggest you tune the difficulty by removing the hard mythos cards (tentacle border around the title) from selection.

Beyond that just make sure to strategize as others have suggested. Combat characters for combat, Lore/Will for Gates, Observation for Clues/Research, Influence for buying toys/clearing debts. And above all else, stay on target, focus on your mysteries, rumors, and closing highest priority gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me having to 'stay on target' and constantly fret about what is the optimal strategy at each point is precisely what turns the game into an unrewarding chore. Why bother having stuff like the expeditions if you can't spend some time going on them. I like the idea of being able to follow up the odd side quest etc while still having a chance to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
Expeditions are always worth doing if they're close by but if you're spending half the game getting from Arkham to the Himalayas they tend be a time sink. Sometimes you can make the trip worth it based on where you stop along the way but it's hit or miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With your tweaks, you might consider calling the game "Eldritch Fuzzy Slippers".

Whatever seems right for your playgroup should be dandy for you. Be sure and come back to the boards to tell us how it works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
For me having to 'stay on target' and constantly fret about what is the optimal strategy at each point is precisely what turns the game into an unrewarding chore. Why bother having stuff like the expeditions if you can't spend some time going on them.

If you want to spend three turns getting to the expedition, and damn the rest of the game in the meantime... yeah, you're going to need some heavy house rules to make the game winnable. On the other hand, if you're right next to the expedition, or it's a short jaunt out of the way as you're heading to where you need to be, sometimes stopping for it is the optimal move. Or sometimes it's one possibility out of several equally good choices. It's those times that make the game interesting, when there are multiple paths that all have their advantages and disadvantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe pick one of those (or one section) but all of them is probably too much. It's your game though, obviously do what gives you the most enjoyment. I personally find enjoyment in close victories and defeats (what can I do better?!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I say more power to you. If this make the game fun for you then that is all that matters. It doesn't matter if other people like your changes or not. There's no point in trying to find one size that fits everyone. The point is to have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Johansson
msg tools
There were a couple of places where you seemed to make the game harder.
Delayed during your action phase and limit to two weapons. (and of course only blue ones in phase I but that others already commented on).

Is that to balance your house rules or a missunderstanding of the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Hey Cain,

Very interesting set of rules, I will chime in with regards to experience in the game. Im not very experienced, but my games have allowed me to adjust my strategy and approach to it and increase my win rate that way. However, when you speak about how not being able to go on expeditions and constantly having to work out best strategy I can see where these rules are coming from. It's not necessarily an "easier" Eldritch, it is more one that you can approach casually and only start to seriously worry about strategy when the S$*t hits the fan.

The Eldritch token idea is quite cool, it brings the game back a bit toward Arkham Horror in a way (Trophy in a sense).

Your game, your rules. What I will say is that these rules do make the game immensely easy for someone proficient at it (not as big a concern for you since you don't want a heavy math strategy grind the whole way). I would suggest using the revised reference cards to at least keep the difficulty rate up, maybe even +1 to the normal number of monsters that spawn on a gate or per surge, since you can kill them and recover easier now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroux13 wrote:
Hey Cain,

Very interesting set of rules, I will chime in with regards to experience in the game. Im not very experienced, but my games have allowed me to adjust my strategy and approach to it and increase my win rate that way. However, when you speak about how not being able to go on expeditions and constantly having to work out best strategy I can see where these rules are coming from. It's not necessarily an "easier" Eldritch, it is more one that you can approach casually and only start to seriously worry about strategy when the S$*t hits the fan.

The poster who said they would like to be able to go on expeditions and approach the game casually is not the original poster (thecainman) but another poster (achates).

The original poster suggested that they would like to have a fighting chance at winning the game, and I get from his post that they would like to play smart and use good teamwork, but that somehow they can't seem to win.

I agree that heavy house rules would be ok for someone who wants to play Eldritch Horror casually, as some sort of RPG-lite storytelling game. But for someone who prides themselves on being a smart gamer and just want to win more reliably, it's just stopping them from being able to improve their strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thecainman wrote:
GermanTodd wrote:

The color indicates the type but the sigil indicates the difficulty.

All colors (yellow, green, blue) have easy, normal and hard cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Mythos card's difficulty

According to CatWeasle:
"Green are hard
Yellow is worse
and Blue are appalling."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVb2Sg1B-2c&list=PLvkAdtnwUz...
15:20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

According to CatWeasle:
"Green are hard
Yellow is worse
and Blue are appalling."

It is a fairly common misconception but the colors indicate which icons are on the card.

The icons are the always the same on all the cards of the same color and you can tell the main effect from the color:

Blue: Rumour
Yellow: Reckoning
Green: Monster Surge

The text is what determines the difficulty and the sigil (or lack of one) indicates the text effect's difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

According to CatWeasle:
"Green are hard
Yellow is worse
and Blue are appalling."

It is a fairly common misconception but the colors indicate which icons are on the card.

The icons are the always the same on all the cards of the same color and you can tell the main effect from the color:

Blue: Rumour
Yellow: Reckoning
Green: Monster Surge

The text is what determines the difficulty and the sigil (or lack of one) indicates the text effect's difficulty.

I think what mortego was trying to say is that, monster surges are usually bad, reckonings are worse, and rumours are typically the worst cards.

But within each category, there are also harder (tentacle) or easier (sigil) cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I was quoting a humorous line from Catweasle, damn funny stuff he says but was really helpful to me when I was learning how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.