1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Impressions after 1 game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
So, I am fairly critical and did alot of digging abouth KD:M last few days, so I had lot of info, both positive and negative before playing it. I had chance to participate and experiance game yesterday, luckly, and I am thankful to my friend Marko for being kind enough to invite me to his home and jump in place of one player who couldn't make it to their game.

Well, I really liked the game overwall, althought it has faults, but it also has many postive sides!

We were going vs antilope lv1. While the fight was interesting, I was expecting it to be far more brutal. Actually, no one has suffered almost any dmg, few times antilope did anything, we used survival to just dodge/evade? I was not able to do it only once, and suffered some minor dmg, although I might have used more survival to prevent it.
We collected herbs or what ever was on map, and quite easily just killed the anthilope. This group is playing it kinda safe way, and from what I read, a lot of people play this way. Since risks are a lot of time, not worth the reward. Especially L3 monsters.
The whole hunt phase was also fun, but nothing bad did happen, nor returning to home. But it was fun.

Yes, someone can easily die in this proces, I did not experiance it. But it is not the end of the World like I read from some people. I quite like to play 1, and not multiple charachters in game I play, so that I care for them. Usually when you play with several, you have your 'favorite' and side kicks who if die, you don't care much. So getting into this, everyone is side kick mentality, and you are 'DIETY' directing this group to best of your ability is probably best before you start. Although it might be harder than it seems, and still some might have problems if their favorite guy or girl they spent so much time dies because of poor roll. But for me, I could get used to that probably every survivor is meat bag, but I will do best I can to protect him, but eventually, another meat bag will have to take his place, because shit happens&people die. Same in Eldrich horror I play, I actually don't have that much problems if my investigator dies, at least he died trying to prevent the end of the World. Although it's unlucky when it happens early to some bad roll&card draw.

But, I can see problems with having only those 3? basic enemy's to face over and over again. Yea, you can play l2 or L3(which is not worth it from what I read), but in the end, I fear it will simply become grind against same stuff over and over again. Yes, enemy will behave different each time, but it's still same enemy, and you know exactly what he can do, although not in which order he will do it. We all know how monster will behave, and what to 'do'. Buying few expansions will help with that, but then it's not 250$ game, but more close to 500$ with shipping included. Again, if you have money, go for it, it's probably worth it. If you are not prepared to shell out that much $$, yea, I think it could get repetative, especially if you have to restart it few times, either due to you all dieing or simply having to find new group because old one is not interested in finishing the game.
More basic enemys to hunt would be plus in base game in my oppinion.

Also, during fighting and whole game, there was a lot of going back to book over and over again, looking what does this do, what is that rule etc. This takes time, and depends are you the tipe of person who will be prepared to do it.Printing stuff from rulebook would help you.

Being back in town also takes time. I really was not that much knowledgable about everything what you can do , but you can really spend A LOT of time here from what I see. Okay, we have these resources, how besto to spend them, what to do. Which gear to craft/combine etc.
It is probably much more fun when you know about everything and are playing game from begining, but you can spend a lot of time in this 'civilisation part' . Not a bad thing per se, but to some people it might be boring, those who would be more interested hack&slash aspect of game.

When it comes to miniatures, in person they are much better than what you see on pictures. Still, I would like more dinamic poses of half enemies, and less rigid and unatural poses of a lot of survivors. But then again, I am used to wargame quality of miniatures, like infinity, which are superior to this ones. All in all, I liked them better after seing them in person, than just by looking pictures of them, since I was really not impressed with a lot of them. And I have 0 problem with assembly.

Also, board and everything looks awesome, really premium stuff, high quality! I was quite impressed with it. Although, some of those larger sheats for hunt/town...could use a bit thicker paper/cardboard.
Rulebook is beautifully ilustrated. New hard cover will be just bonus.

I fear that a lot of people will be dissapointed with this game in one way or another. Game is great! But really, I don't think it's for masses that will end up buying it because of hype it gets.
Because to really enjoy it, you have to have dedicated group, that is willing to spend a lot of time to end campaign. Because if you get group and they drop after 1/3 or 1/2 of game, and then you restart it with another group etc. for owner of game, I fear game could become okay lets grind over and over again same stuff. You could also get new group to start where you finished with last, but it's really not same to start from begining of game or from middle of somone elses campaign. If I was to play it with someone, I would definatelly wanna play from beginning. To feel like helpless survivor armed only with a piece of stone, and then slowly getting and crafting better stuff.
There is a lot of bookkeeping , even during fight, you can forget, oh, I have this rule or something, especially if survivors die a lot etc. Happens to me with pandemic legacy. Many new rules are introducede, and since we don't play it that often, sometimes, you simply forget about some rules, and remember them either in game or after the game -.- .

From my experiance, it's really hard to find group dedicated enough to invest that much time in a single game, especially to play it regularly and not drop out or get bored in the middle of it. And I fear that will happen for a lot of people out there. I for example have trouble getting 4 people around the table more than once a month, and even once a month is sometimes a feat,lol.
This is not really beer&pretzels game that you can play with everyone. But with right group, preferably your close friends, who are into this kind of games&setting, who are willing to commit time needed to finish it, from what I see, you will get experiance that you can't get in any other board game, and you won't regret any time spent on it!
I would never play this game solo, since for me it would loose a lot of social aspect& I was never on playing solo any game. I can simply play PC game if I want solo experiance. But for people who are into soloing games, it could work, yea.

All in all, I am still debating do I buy it or not. I will wait for more stuff to get revealed, then decide.
Game got me really interested, and I would definitely like to own and play it in future! Is it worth this $ for me. Probably not at this very moment, but I have piss poor job right now being only payed 2.5$ per hour(horray for slavery to get xp )...ofcourse, this will soon change when I move to Canada. But then I face new problems, that game is really not portable at all,xD, and that I am yet to see what kind of group will I have in the future&where will I end.
Still, after playing it, I would be willing to spend 400-500$ on it. Probably on something like base game+dragon king+ 1-3 expansions(ram&that baby with glow ball on head) to get best bang for the $.

My best advice would be, if you can, by any chance, try before you spent that much $$ and consult your group, are they willing to commit that much time on game like this, show them gameplay, tell them pros&cons of it etc. Because a lot of people are just saying positive things, and you might get wrong impression that with that. And then there is all that hype about the game right now, it quite eaisily might not be for your group.
I quite like whole ameritrash&dice rolling&lots of cards in games. So I don't really have too much problem with luck in games. I also play infinity&30k/40k and since it's dice based, yea, there is a lot of tactics and list building involved, but some unlucky rolls can ruin all your plans, and I am used to it. Still, it gets me mad if it happens on tournament, and I loose just because of shitty dice rolls. I am not that much into euro tipe of games. Most of them simply lack certain excitment for me. But for eurogamer, I can presume that, some of them might end up not liking a lot of random stuff this game has so much off. But if you fill blanks with your immagination, and just try to enjoy 'the pain ride' , you will have much more fun than if you get mad when something really unlucky happens&someone dies.

Cheers&sorry for grammar. I don't have spellcheck at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slavery should not allow for typing long game reviews at work... just saying devil

Personally, i was on tthe fence of backing it but seeing the delivery date is 4 years from now i had a knee-jerk reaction of saying F.U. and closing the page.
For me NO GAME IS WORTH A 4 YEAR WAIT- no matter how super amazingly brilliant is supposed to be. I have already been waiting well over 2 years for journeyman myth, and most of my 2015 kickstarters are still not delivered (AQ:inferno, Sword&Sorcery,7th continent) and The Others was an exercise in frustration with all the delays.
A year i can wait, a year and a half ( as is the case with Forbidden Fortress) maybe if i REALLY like the game and find the KS to be a great deal. But 4 years? For what is basically an elitist reprint?

Nope, no friggin' way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You realize the reprint is due in summer 2017, right? A 6 month wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great review, its worth mentioning that you can play multiple campaigns at the same time, right now I'm playing a solo sun people campaign and a core + gorm campaign with my group, works wonders. About people getting bored about it i would disagree, the game its not boring, its very inmersive, and many would find KDM world to shocking or dark to their tastes, I personally don't like much of the gore and sexual content, many times I feel sick about things on the game, but long ago I realised this is all the intention of the designer, and he achieved it, with honors, art its supposed to bring sensations out of you, and this is a horror/,nightmare themed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Core game estimate ships 2017 summer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
Well, for improved&updated base game, you will probably have to wait only till next summer. So there is that. Not really sure will old expansions come with base game or on later date. But either way, you don't need all in the begining from what I saw. When you get them at later date, you would just have incentive to play game again with new stuff added. Although, still, my oppinion stands that base game would profit for few more enemys to hunt, just for the sake of variety.

It's not super amaizing game. It's a good game, one of the betters I tried so far. And from one sessions, my reaction was, yea, I wanna play this game with my friends! I would have to play it whole before I could say, it's amaizing or not. It's important not to have expectation, this is the game to rule them all, this is the game we have been waiting for. It has it's faults and its highs. It's more on the person to decide can they live with the 'faults' it has when it comes to ones group&game preferance.

My only grudge so far with KS is not being able to get that 200$ spot for base game. Because those spots were gone really fast, and even 50$ means 3 extra days of work for me...I keep reading when people tell, well, I just came online because I heard about this KS, and saw one empty spot,lol...I am looking really a lot, and I am yet to see any -.- . But I can live with 1 expansion less if it comes to that, what I could get for those 50$ . Although I still hope I will be able to snatch one of those 200$ slots, or maybe there will be some bundle later in the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me- variety is what makes a board-game-rpg great.
Having just the base game would probably mean keeping it on the shelf until the other stuff arrives. so the summer 2017 delivery is kind of a moot unless they deliver it with a decent amount of extra material.

Maybe i am strange- but fighting the same 4-5 monsters over and over again ad infinitum would not make for a fun experience. (that is why i love Descent- you have a bazillion different enemies to face, and why i have really started enjoying Shadows of Brimstone after 10+ enemy packs were added to the core games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizzletop wrote:

Maybe i am strange- but fighting the same 4-5 monsters over and over again ad infinitum would not make for a fun experience.

Sounds like you don't know much about the game. I watched a few play throughs this evening, and it really intrigued me. There is way more to it than you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizzletop wrote:
Having just the base game would probably mean keeping it on the shelf until the other stuff arrives. so the summer 2017 delivery is kind of a moot unless they deliver it with a decent amount of extra material.

Maybe i am strange- but fighting the same 4-5 monsters over and over again ad infinitum would not make for a fun experience. (that is why i love Descent- you have a bazillion different enemies to face, and why i have really started enjoying Shadows of Brimstone after 10+ enemy packs were added to the core games)

The core game and any of the 12 existing expansions currently available that you order with it ship in summer 2017.

The Gamblers Box is a year after that.

All the new expansion stuff by 2020.

Maybe you should read the Kickstarter more closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mea Culpa for not reading the kickstarter info more closely after seeing the dec 2020 delivery date

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayki Don Kyanon
Germany
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizzletop wrote:
Mea Culpa for not reading the kickstarter info more closely after seeing the dec 2020 delivery date

Mistakes happen. However, now you know about it and you won't get frustrated if you would have read that in the future after the KS campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizzletop wrote:

Not strange... it looks like you missed how the AI decks for the monsters are randomly generated each showdown which makes each fight different.

Descent, Shadows of Brimstone, and other dungeon crawlers desperately need a ton of different enemies because their AI's are so simple that they become boring and repetitive. KDM's AI and hit location decks make the fights much more varied and interesting.

People have played 200+ hours with just the core set. The expansions are not neccessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to comment a little on difficulty as you said your expected it to be much more brutal.

You did not mention what Lantern Year it was but fighting a SA in year 2 or 3 versus year 9 or 10 will clearly make the fight either more difficult or much more easier.

The sheer amount of randomness in the game can make for periods that feel very safe and dare I say easy. These will be quickly followed by brutal hunt events, painful Nemesis Encounters and frustrating Settlement Events.

In my play sessions I have had Showdowns end with me defeating a monster in the first round and I have had total TPK during the hunt phase without even a single roll of the dice.

To be honest the complete unpredictability is one of the reasons that I love this game so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
So with the AI deck, its basically dark souls, only 10-times more expensive? I seen and read a lot reviews, but fail to see, why its worth hundrets of dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wait until you encounter your first nemesis monster..

i once played a game during the first real lion hunt we lost 3 people then on the settlement event we lost another 4 and finally 2 died in child birth. in end we had 1 guy left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GringeCommander wrote:
So with the AI deck, its basically dark souls, only 10-times more expensive? I seen and read a lot reviews, but fail to see, why its worth hundrets of dollars.

its nothing like dark souls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:

But, I can see problems with having only those 3? basic enemy's to face over and over again. Yea, you can play l2 or L3(which is not worth it from what I read), but in the end, I fear it will simply become grind against same stuff over and over again. Yes, enemy will behave different each time, but it's still same enemy, and you know exactly what he can do, although not in which order he will do it. We all know how monster will behave, and what to 'do'.

Just to comment quickly on this: I think you should ask for another invite to try out a L2 or L3 monster before drawing any conclusions. It is inaccurate to say the only difference is the order of AI cards. Different levels of monsters have entirely different AI cards available, and this leads to very different experiences.

Fighting a Level 2 White Lion does not feel like fighting a Level 1. It offers new challenges and new strategies to learn. Ditto Level 3 and Legendary. Multiply this by all the monsters available, and there is quite a lot of variety.

Also, it sounds like the group you were playing with may have been taking on an easier hunt that session, and they were well-equipped to handle it. Ask if you can join for another game when they will be fighting the King's Man. That should give you a tougher time, no matter what LY they're on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GringeCommander wrote:

I have to admit I don't know enough about the Dark Souls boardgame, but my understanding is it's a dungeon-crawl featuring bosses that are inspired by the AI-deck concept created by KDM.

KDM, by contrast, is a civilization game with a significant hunt and battle phase.

I'm curious how the Dark Souls AI decks will work out, but I doubt the two games will be very similar, at the end of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GringeCommander wrote:

It would be more accurate to say Dark Souls is a cheaper, mass-produced, dumbed-down version of Kingdom Death Monster with an emphasis on memorization.

If you can understand why people would spend $2000+ to build a Warhammer 40k army, or a similar hobby game expenditure, you can understand why KDM is worth hundreds of dollars. If not, the game is not for you.

In another thread you claim KDM is overhyped - which is a very odd claim for a reprint Kickstarter of a game that has been out for a while, is very easy to find information on, and has a pent up demand.

By comparison, the Dark Souls board game was definitely overhyped. While the KS was running, there was very little game play info and only a few renders were shown. But people were all in because - Dark Souls! - it has to be great! With the PM just 10 days away from closing, game play information is still vague, no miniatures have been shown, some of the renders are still not done, and shipping has doubled in cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandor wrote:

By comparison, the Dark Souls board game was definitely overhyped. While the KS was running, there was very little game play info and only a few renders were shown. But people were all in because - Dark Souls! - it has to be great! With the PM just 10 days away from closing, game play information is still vague, no miniatures have been shown, some of the renders are still not done, and shipping has doubled in cost.

This actually worked out well, for me. My son and I love Dark Souls, so the boardgame was a no-brainer, but I'm not going to purchase an unknown quantity based on brand-name alone. Pledge manager deadline for Dark Souls is next week, but my pledge will stay at $1, and all that extra money will just be funneled into KDM 1.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
GringeCommander wrote:

From what I have seen abut the dark souls AI deck is that is is only half a dozen cards. When you use up the ect younreplace it in the sae order. So you need to learn the pattern in the bosses attacks

For kingdom earth the AI deck is randomly generated and contains between 10 and 20ish cards. The order changes each time the deck is exhausted. Wounding a monster removes cards from the ect. When a monster heals it adds cards back into the deck.

All of this makes knowing what the monster will do no much harder. You might know wha the monster is capable of, but you don't know when that attack will turn up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
DavidT wrote:
smurfORnot wrote:

But, I can see problems with having only those 3? basic enemy's to face over and over again. Yea, you can play l2 or L3(which is not worth it from what I read), but in the end, I fear it will simply become grind against same stuff over and over again. Yes, enemy will behave different each time, but it's still same enemy, and you know exactly what he can do, although not in which order he will do it. We all know how monster will behave, and what to 'do'.

Just to comment quickly on this: I think you should ask for another invite to try out a L2 or L3 monster before drawing any conclusions. It is inaccurate to say the only difference is the order of AI cards. Different levels of monsters have entirely different AI cards available, and this leads to very different experiences.

Fighting a Level 2 White Lion does not feel like fighting a Level 1. It offers new challenges and new strategies to learn. Ditto Level 3 and Legendary. Multiply this by all the monsters available, and there is quite a lot of variety.

Also, it sounds like the group you were playing with may have been taking on an easier hunt that session, and they were well-equipped to handle it. Ask if you can join for another game when they will be fighting the King's Man. That should give you a tougher time, no matter what LY they're on.

I have read what does L2 antelope do, and yes, it's quite different to L1. But from some comments I read, it's simply not worth to go after L3 monsters. So yeah, they exist, but you probably won't go to hunt them?

Monsters do act different on different levels, but they are still same monsters. My opinion would be that at least 2 extra monsters for hunt would be nice addition to the base game. Same as a lot of people tell, take Gorm, because fighting lion all the time gets old. If you already had option in base game to fight something beside lion when you start, it would be nice, since if you started another campaign, and you could right out of the box, have different monster.

ravenblade23x wrote:
Just to comment a little on difficulty as you said your expected it to be much more brutal.

You did not mention what Lantern Year it was but fighting a SA in year 2 or 3 versus year 9 or 10 will clearly make the fight either more difficult or much more easier.

The sheer amount of randomness in the game can make for periods that feel very safe and dare I say easy. These will be quickly followed by brutal hunt events, painful Nemesis Encounters and frustrating Settlement Events.

In my play sessions I have had Showdowns end with me defeating a monster in the first round and I have had total TPK during the hunt phase without even a single roll of the dice.

To be honest the complete unpredictability is one of the reasons that I love this game so much.

They were around year 10 I think. But despite gear they had. Antelope wasn't doing much of attacking, and when it did, we would simply spend survival, since everyone had 6-7 to begin with. One guy even had that on 6+ he doesn't spend survival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slaaneth wrote:
GringeCommander wrote:

From what I have seen abut the dark souls AI deck is that is is only half a dozen cards. When you use up the ect younreplace it in the sae order. So you need to learn the pattern in the bosses attacks

For kingdom earth the AI deck is randomly generated and contains between 10 and 20ish cards. The order changes each time the deck is exhausted. Wounding a monster removes cards from the ect. When a monster heals it adds cards back into the deck.

All of this makes knowing what the monster will do no much harder. You might know wha the monster is capable of, but you don't know when that attack will turn up.

Not just the AI deck but the HL, Hunt, and Resource decks for each monster lend themselves to embellishing the monster's persona as well. I love the pedantry that goes into cards to create such great scenes as a HL card named "Furious Gut" or the "Beast's Scapular Deltoid". I doubt Dark Souls has a hit location deck and if it does I doubt that its anywhere near the intricacy of a card from a monster in KD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:
I have read what does L2 antelope do, and yes, it's quite different to L1. But from some comments I read, it's simply not worth to go after L3 monsters. So yeah, they exist, but you probably won't go to hunt them?

I suppose it depends on how you play the game. Some people like to min/max the game and avoid any unnecessary risk. I've even heard of groups fighting Level 1 White Lions almost exclusively. You can play the game that way, and maybe even win, but it's certainly not how our group plays.

We're in it for the win, but we're also in it for the fight and the excitement. Higher level monsters are much more exciting and enjoyable to fight, and it's fun to take on the challenge. I don't care if a min/max analysis suggests the rewards aren't worth the extra risk--the joy of the battle is. And, with respect to the rewards, v1.5 of the game is apparently addressing this perceived issue and upping the rewards gained for hunting higher-level monsters.

smurfORnot wrote:
Monsters do act different on different levels, but they are still same monsters. My opinion would be that at least 2 extra monsters for hunt would be nice addition to the base game. Same as a lot of people tell, take Gorm, because fighting lion all the time gets old. If you already had option in base game to fight something beside lion when you start, it would be nice, since if you started another campaign, and you could right out of the box, have different monster.

I mean, I'm not going to argue that more isn't better. It probably is. But, I think the right balance was achieved with the base box. In my experience, fighting the included monsters does not get stale before the end of the first campaign, and it might do a disservice to players to give them too many options for their first campaign. To collect the gear and grow your settlement in the most effective ways, you generally need to limit your hunts to a select group of quarries, anyway. You don't want to start out by bouncing around between lion, antelope, and gorm, right out of the box. As new players, you'd find it difficult to achieve anything that way or gather the right resources to craft the gear you need.

After your first campaign, introducing a new quarry is probably a good idea, but at that point you can just pick up an expansion (like the Gorm). Also, by your second campaign, you probably haven't really explored the base game monsters fully, anyway. You may have concentrated on the lion and its gear for nearly half of your first campaign, meaning you still have a lot of discovery to do with the antelope and phoenix. (And you probably still haven't figured out how to beat some of the nemeses).

smurfORnot wrote:

They were around year 10 I think. But despite gear they had. Antelope wasn't doing much of attacking, and when it did, we would simply spend survival, since everyone had 6-7 to begin with. One guy even had that on 6+ he doesn't spend survival.

I've certainly experienced easy showdowns, especially if we were hunting a quarry we outclassed considerably, but your description of your showdown experience makes me wonder if the rules for survival were being observed properly.

A few points:

1. A survival limit of 7 sounds high for LY10. Especially if the group isn't very experienced.

2. Departing survival of 7 also sounds high for LY10.

3. A lot of the danger from facing the antelope comes from its reactions. Were you spending survival to dodge reactions?

4. Were any of the players dodging more than once per round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I could never write such a long review after a single session. I'm no fanboy, I've been critical of KD in the past, yet the critics you raise are definitely premature:

- Each monster is different, the antelope unlike the Lion for example, is a
very skittish foe. The difficulty lies in catching it, before it can buff
itself or staying out of it's path. It's rather easy to fight a LV 1
antelope.

- You could decide to grind LV1 Lions for a while, but by the time
mandatory nemesis encounters come along, you'll be fairly weak since your
survivors didn't push their luck for better rewards from a stronger foe.
Which brings me to another point, you forget that there are 4 nemesis
encounters with the core game... 5, after the 1.5 update and MAN are they something else. There's more than enough variety in the base game. Do me a favour, rewrite this review after you've had your showdown with 'The Hand'.

- There are also 'Legendary Monsters' to hunt, I won't spoil the surprise
but they're a far cry from the standard foes.

- It's true, you need a pretty dedicated group, but you haven't played the
game solo. 400hrs of solo play and I couldn't be happier, the KD narrative and experience, to me, isn't something I'd like to share. Why
not simply play a campaign with your group, whenever you see them, and
another campaign yourself? Record your settlement and you could run as
many concurrent campaigns as you want.

- To the noob, KD is extremely overwhelming and the bookeeping and rules
can be a problem... it simply comes down to experience. KD is designed
to be learned as you play, so it takes at least a full campaign to be
fully versed in all the rules and exceptions. You'll also figure out
tricks to make bookeeping less of a hassle, there's a custom hunt and
monster board in the files section, with injury, severe injury tables
and rule references, eliminating the need to for the book. Scanning
some key pages (eg. Hunt Table) are also highly recommended. I never
use the sheets anymore either, it's all on my tablet. I spend about
a third of my time bookeeping compared to when I started.

You've basically had a taste of the soup and are writing a review of a
6-course meal. I paid $400 for my game, retail, and you're getting it for $200, plus a huge amount of extra content, including a hardcover rulebook and a new expansion. Finally, KD is hyped for a reason... Before this Kickstarter it averaged 9/10, this was before all the hype. It got that score for a good reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.